Colorfly CK4 first review
Aug 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 254
Someone noted that LO is variable with volume control (like HO). Is this true? [If so, this is an added layer of potential gunk added to the audio output]. If true, can the vol. be defeated? Has anyone compared HO to LO when used with external amp (or pre-amp).
How many CS4398 are in this unit (Teclast/SFlo uses two Wolfson DACs, which is good; those Wolfson DACs, BTW, are equiv. to the Cirrus CS4398 in the CK4)?
What's the LO / HO op-amp  -- i.e., ADA4075? for both LO/HO? That's a 0.75 USD el cheapo op-amp. The QLS-350, e.g., has a much-nicer AD opamp for only ~ 1.0 USD more.

EDIT: may have found some answers to my queries above (after an image search)...

... so one DAC (too bad ... dual differential would add about 3dB to S/N! Still a nice chip.)

BTW ... glad Colorfly decided to clean up their mess ... LOL!!!

= = = 
Noted from main site http://colorfly.colorful.cn/product.html
that high-end C4 uses ...
·ADI AD823 chip
·CIRRUS LOGIC CS4398 DAC chip
·CIRRUS LOGIC CS8422 SRC chip
·TCXO high-precision crystal Oscillators
Haven't carefully ck'd the PCB image above to determine which of these made it to CK4. Obviously, the AD823 did not. If you're okay with a soldering gun ... that 823 is a nice-sounding OPA :wink:

EDIT 2:
Notice the Cirrus CS8422 SRC chip? Methinks this is probably for upsampling (comes before CS4398). I don't see one on the CK4 PCB above ... poop! So SQ takes a bit of a hit. Also saw boutique parts (caps, etc.) for the C4 but not CK4. Still, I don't see the former unit being all that much better ... oh but that wood grain ... I'm Jonesin' ... think: American station wagon from the disco era ...

EDIT 3:

This flow chart from Colorful.s C4 page shows position of the SRC noted above. AKA: UPSAMPLING. Got woodie?

Refs:
http://mp3.sanhaostreet.com/NewsData/2011/1/201111391645169.shtml

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 254
Any info on the firmware updates and how this DAP is performing now? I understand there was bugs.

Has anyone heard it compared to the Colorfly C3?

Thanks..... Any more info is highly needed in this thread.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 254
Quote:
Any info on the firmware updates and how this DAP is performing now? I understand there was bugs.
Has anyone heard it compared to the Colorfly C3?
Thanks..... Any more info is highly needed in this thread.

I updated the firmware, and it now plays files up to 24/96 without any problems. Haven't tried higher res than that though.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 254
I updated the firmware, and it now plays files up to 24/96 without any problems. Haven't tried higher res than that though.

How are you liking the sound of it compared to anything else you've tried? And which players would those be?

I'm already a C3 owner, its slightly mid focused but with really nice highs, the low end is rather neutral.

Would you say CK4 sounds similar?

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #23 of 254
Quote:
How are you liking the sound of it compared to anything else you've tried? And which players would those be?
I'm already a C3 owner, its slightly mid focused but with really nice highs, the low end is rather neutral.
Would you say CK4 sounds similar?

IMHO it doesn't actually sound that impressive with  HD or non- HD files. It's better than any iPod I own, but not better than my Sony Z-series, or Voodoo'ed Galaxy (the best sounding DAP I've heard). That's just my relatively uneducated opinion though.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #24 of 254
IMHO it doesn't actually sound that impressive with  HD or non- HD files. It's better than any iPod I own, but not better than my Sony Z-series, or Voodoo'ed Galaxy (the best sounding DAP I've heard). That's just my relatively uneducated opinion though.

Thank you! I might put this on standby.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #25 of 254
I love my CK4. This is the best portable player. Why? It has very good and powerful sound like iPod+100$<Amplifier, good materials, construction, good and easy interface, works fine with microSDHC, works about 10-12 hours, has line-out, has a good price. 
It is better than stock Teclast T51 and HiFiman 601, much better than all iPods/Sonys/Cowons etc in terms of sound quality.
Using Colorfly CK4 about 2 months as a main portable player and i'm happy.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 254
I love my CK4. This is the best portable player. Why? It has very good and powerful sound like iPod+100$
It is better than stock Teclast T51 and HiFiman 601, much better than all iPods/Sonys/Cowons etc in terms of sound quality.

Using Colorfly CK4 about 2 months as a main portable player and i'm happy.

Thank you for your insight!

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #28 of 254
H20Fidelity get it and i will be waiting for your review between c3 and ck4!!  ck4 technically should be better than c3

I'm considering mate, definitely considering.

Again if any other members had / own CK4 we want to hear from you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back