Colorfly CK4 first review
Jan 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #243 of 254
  today i have spoken with colorfly germany. this information is defently wrong. the colofly c4 plays native max. 24 bit 192 khz. there is no downsampling. 

regards 
mario

They are talking out of thier ****. Again. They just say that like some chant. I kept saying to them that 192kHz isn't correctly supported and they constatly repeated that it plays 24/192. Thier customer service is just one guy at a desk who is senior in the company and makes things up depending on his mood. After a week of arguing with them I gave up.  They honestly don't care about providing what they advertise.

And it's a great shame because the ck4+ is a great little device. One of my favourites in fact

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #245 of 254
And as I seek to find a DAP for me I find threads and ask this question: 

Does this player possess fidelity in its playback (is it neutral, transparent, and detailed?) 

I'm on the quest for a neutral sound.

I'd LOVE to hear more of your thoughts on this player.

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #246 of 254
  And as I seek to find a DAP for me I find threads and ask this question: 

Does this player possess fidelity in its playback (is it neutral, transparent, and detailed?) 

I'm on the quest for a neutral sound.

I'd LOVE to hear more of your thoughts on this player.

I found CK4 to sound a little cool from neutral personally, just a fraction bright, with good detail and impressive clarity levels. If you do not like charging your device every day, then avoid CK4. 6-8 hour run times with FLAC. I couldn't handle being it's personal slave catering the hunger levels. Do not overlook Colorfly C3 either, I happily kept C3, sold CK4. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #248 of 254

I found CK4 to sound a little cool from neutral personally, just a fraction bright, with good detail and impressive clarity levels. If you do not like charging your device every day, then avoid CK4. 6-8 hour run times with FLAC. I couldn't handle being it's personal slave catering the hunger levels. Do not overlook Colorfly C3 either, I happily kept C3, sold CK4. 

importantly did you found x5 better then the c3?
i mean will you switch over to the x5?

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #249 of 254
Oh yeah, did you find the c3 neutral? I don't mind charging every day.
smily_headphones1.gif

C3 is fairly neutral, more balanced than CK4 to my ears. However C3 also suffers some low end roll off with low impedance IEM's though much less then CK4 which can be a real issue. Here is a review I did on the two players:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638415/colorfly-c3-vs-colorfly-ck4-comparison-true-portable-hifi-sound

importantly did you found x5 better then the c3?
i mean will you switch over to the x5?

Yes, X5 is better than C3, especially from a usability approach, power output and SQ, X5  also costs around $250 USD more. The thing about C3 is... even though higher end players may beat it outright in SQ it doesn't so much depend on that factor because the little Colorfly has it's own flavour of sound, possesses it's own individual signature making it unique. That's what makes me keep it.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #250 of 254
@H20,
Checking at Penon now there are several DACs at the range of $99-109 that feature so much in common, both in strengths (SQ) and weaknesses( FLAC, gapless) 
Ihifi 770C and CK4+ for 99$, Xduoo X3 for 109$. 
Can you give me some suggestion among these? 
I'm listening to music through my Note4 (exynos) +V-moda M80 combo and my M50x +E11k. My type of music is pretty mixed from Take me to church, Forever and one to Adele, Adam Levine ...etc. Pretty much i love to hear distinct vocals the most. I expect the DAP to play FLAC 16/44 well with no issue and last for at least 8-12 hours. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #251 of 254
  @H20,
Checking at Penon now there are several DACs at the range of $99-109 that feature so much in common, both in strengths (SQ) and weaknesses( FLAC, gapless) 
I'm listening to music through my Note4 (exynos) +V-moda M80 combo and my M50x +E11k. My type of music is pretty mixed from Take me to church, Forever and one to Adele, Adam Levine ...etc. Pretty much i love to hear distinct vocals the most. I expect the DAP to play FLAC 16/44 well with no issue and last for at least 8-12 hours. 

Having owned/heard them all I'd recommend the XDuoo X3 with Rockbox firmware.

Colorfly CK4 has poor battery life (maybe 6-8 hours max) 
iHIFI 770c you could still consider but I find the XDuoo ahead in sound.

Check into the XDuoo X3 thread and go from there.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #252 of 254

Having owned/heard them all I'd recommend the XDuoo X3 with Rockbox firmware.

Colorfly CK4 has poor battery life (maybe 6-8 hours max) 
iHIFI 770c you could still consider but I find the XDuoo ahead in sound.

Check into the XDuoo X3 thread and go from there.

Really appreciate your help ^^
I did read all 200+ pages and find it a very capable player. Since IHifi is getting its Rockbox today, i believe both of them will be equal in term of smoothly FLAC playback. However, i really concern about battery, which will last longer continuously played with my ATH-M50x ?

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #253 of 254
  Really appreciate your help ^^
I did read all 200+ pages and find it a very capable player. Since IHifi is getting its Rockbox today, i believe both of them will be equal in term of smoothly FLAC playback. However, i really concern about battery, which will last longer continuously played with my ATH-M50x ?

Because I listen indoors most of the time I'm never giving my players full run times so its hard to answer.

But I will say the XDuoo offers a much better form factor, its remote control like shape allows you to easily drop it into your pocket then slide back out again. The 770c on the other hand, is not so friendly. Another thing is the 770c has touch buttons which are a little tricky to use, they get finger prints on them and may not respond until you wipe them occasionally . The XDuoo however, is much easier to use, and use one handed.

So summing up I find sound on the XDuoo better, the form factor and the user experience, and lastly the XDuoo seems to have more power. When I add all that up providing the battery life is suitable (you must research this) its really all signals pointing towards the XDuoo X3. A good way to tell roughly is by how many pages each players thread has pushed.

Usually the members sort out the good from the 'ok' and products that succeed remain active.

I know if I had to choose one again to take on the road it would be the XDuoo.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #254 of 254
@H20,

I cannot say anything about the Ihifi and the Xduoo, but I can tell you about the CK4+.

While I liked the sound very much with the Ath-ESW9. Also there have been some mods for even better sound.

If you can avoid it. It has a bad OS. It wont play some high resolution files. No correct tagging. It has only a few buttons for control and those are only okayish quality.

Generally it is outdated, you surely have some other options at this pricepoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back