Colorfly C3, Hisoundaudio Rocoop, or Hifiman 601
Oct 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #121 of 181
That point is utterly ridiculous.
I dont see how you dont see how thats not fair, yes they have to start somewhere but for you to take them seriously when THERE IS NO BASIS OF COMPARISON in there reviews, your getting an uneducated point of view.  Its not even a point up for debate, its common sense.  Much the same as a 1st year medical students paper isn't going to get published, im not going to kickboxing lessons with someone who has less experience than me. etc etc etc  
They are starting somewhere arent they? but what there saying has no weight gravity or track record.

Reviews are only valid when someone has at minimum some level of experience, everything else must be taken with a grain of salt.  If everyone had your viewpoint on whats valid they would probably waste a ton of money and time on this hobby as well.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #122 of 181
Quote:
So you basically saying that what's wrong with Studio or Rocoo is the hiss? I'm not saying that's not a valid point, too much hiss might as well be a big no for me, I'm just trying to make it clear. Maybe for some people the hiss doesn't ruin anything, so if it's the only real problem, maybe Hisound is quite alright for them.

Nothing special sound wise (above clip slightly but below, sony, cowon and others, way behind c3 c30 sflo2 imod ipod) +  hiss = bad 

specifically on studio and rocoo, people need just to hear it with an honest opinion and combine that with the RMAA results to see they are being sold snake oil.

Heres my other issues with them.

Firmware half baked
cant access back to folder your in ie when listening to a track you skip out it takes you back to root menu back where you have to go find the album again.
Freezes
Has "No file errors" you then have to plug into your computer and delete the system folder to get back
Cheap parts.
Poor soldering.
Pops and buzzes when your listening to a song and want to scroll through menus.
Poor attitude
Buttons can stick
Overpriced (massivley)

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #123 of 181
What IS not fair is essentially regarding your own experience as the only valid one. It displays arrogance and therefore should be regarded with scepticism,

We do hear things differently, according to our age, according to our natural hearing acuity and according to any damage we may have incurred which can vary with frequency. Also, we like different sound signatures and we can also adapt to different signatures.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #124 of 181
 Perhaps i have been lucky with the Studio V 3rd but it works very well. No UI problems at all but then again my demands aren't very high. Find music and play is all i ever need. I am only really interested in the very nice sound that i hear.  It is absurd to point to RMAA and say, look this is a bad player....but that opens another area of discussion.

I have mentioned this before and the comparison is not really valid considering the price point differences but here goes. The Studio V 3rd is a much better sounding player than the C3 and this opinion was formed over extended listening to both players. It is an opinion also validated by the owner of the C3 i was listening to. 

BUT that is only my opinion and i know it's not valid...

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #125 of 181
Quote:
Nothing special sound wise (above clip slightly but below, sony, cowon and others, way behind c3 c30 sflo2 imod ipod) +  hiss = bad 

specifically on studio and rocoo, people need just to hear it with an honest opinion and combine that with the RMAA results to see they are being sold snake oil.

Heres my other issues with them.

Firmware half baked
cant access back to folder your in ie when listening to a track you skip out it takes you back to root menu back where you have to go find the album again.
Freezes
Has "No file errors" you then have to plug into your computer and delete the system folder to get back
Cheap parts.
Poor soldering.
Pops and buzzes when your listening to a song and want to scroll through menus.
Poor attitude
Buttons can stick
Overpriced (massivley)

Even if you're completely wrong about Hisound, I think C3 must be an immensely better value :) And thanks for the heads up. Even if I find out later on that our tastes are way too different, I'm more than willing to be cautious at that point, so I think you're doing me a great service.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #126 of 181
Quote:

Firmware half baked - no works perfectly well
cant access back to folder your in ie when listening to a track you skip out it takes you back to root menu back where you have to go find the album again.- why would anyone want to? i can't do that playing CD or LP either
Freezes - my Studio-V doesn't
Has "No file errors" you then have to plug into your computer and delete the system folder to get back - nope, never happened to mine
Cheap parts.- yet sound great
Poor soldering.- yet works, I have dropped mine lots of times and still works
Pops and buzzes when your listening to a song and want to scroll through menus.- mine doesn't
Poor attitude - pot, kettle,black
Buttons can stick - mine don't
Overpriced (massivley)- compared to what? a Teraman? Nordost Valhalla? Beats?

how long did own yours for?

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #127 of 181
Quote:
That point is utterly ridiculous.
I dont see how you dont see how thats not fair, yes they have to start somewhere but for you to take them seriously when THERE IS NO BASIS OF COMPARISON in there reviews, your getting an uneducated point of view.  Its not even a point up for debate, its common sense.  Much the same as a 1st year medical students paper isn't going to get published, im not going to kickboxing lessons with someone who has less experience than me. etc etc etc  
They are starting somewhere aren't they? but what there saying has no weight gravity or track record.

Reviews are only valid when someone has at minimum some level of experience, everything else must be taken with a grain of salt.  If everyone had your viewpoint on whats valid they would probably waste a ton of money and time on this hobby as well.

For one stozzer you point to the sound being mediocre. Barely comparable to even a mainstream DAP while many of these reviewers who you are pretty much downplaying, own such mainstream players (like ipod etc). The funny part is they found this player quite an upgrade over such players while you do not. Even if they may not have huge experience with audio equipment in general I don't think it's hard for one to determine if A is better than B.

I could say the very same thing about you Stozzer. I have decent experience with DAPs in general an with the more pricy item as well. I know quality from quantity. Regarding your last sentence would you like it if I was to say you are tin-eared and don't know quality from quantity? I don't think you'd like that at all.

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #128 of 181
Quote:
 Perhaps i have been lucky with the Studio V 3rd but it works very well. No UI problems at all but then again my demands aren't very high. Find music and play is all i ever need. I am only really interested in the very nice sound that i hear.  It is absurd to point to RMAA and say, look this is a bad player....but that opens another area of discussion.

I have mentioned this before and the comparison is not really valid considering the price point differences but here goes. The Studio V 3rd is a much better sounding player than the C3 and this opinion was formed over extended listening to both players. It is an opinion also validated by the owner of the C3 i was listening to. 

BUT that is only my opinion and i know it's not valid...

Thank you very much Sauntere, at least we have one confirmation of another listener who thinks otherwise. I would like to listen to this C3 myself to do a fair comparison. I think it would be fair to do the comparison initially against my iphone4 and then move up the chain.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #129 of 181
Quote:
Thank you very much Sauntere, at least we have one confirmation of another listener who thinks otherwise. I would like to listen to this C3 myself to do a fair comparison. I think it would be fair to do the comparison initially against my iphone4 and then move up the chain.

I'd be quite happy if you did that.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #130 of 181
Quote:
I'd be quite happy if you did that.

Thing is I really am not in the market right now for another player. I was actually gonna sell off my Rocoo BA once it's done on tour as my other sources are superior and I really have no need for 4 DAPs.... Then again my Rocoo BA will be in the hands of H20 eventually and he owns this player. I'm sure he'd love to make a comparison between them :wink:.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #131 of 181
  Hey Lee, on your reviews of all the daps you own, you mention ibasso dx-100 on the top of your list.  Seeing that this dap is $8-900 usd and you say that this dap even trumps high end dap/amp rigs for the ipod, why would anyone spend $700 on a dac alone if the ibasso dx-100 is better than all that, and it is a stand alone dap of itself.  

I am still waiting for my 3rd gen studios; hopefully they are great how everyone says they are.  

Regarding hiss, I actually hear hiss on my ipod nano 6g with the ie80s.  Its not something that really bothers me, but I do know that it is there.  Is that the 
'hiss" everyone talks about?  Are people making the hiss way out of proportion here?  

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #132 of 181
Quote:
  Hey Lee, on your reviews of all the daps you own, you mention ibasso dx-100 on the top of your list.  Seeing that this dap is $8-900 usd and you say that this dap even trumps high end dap/amp rigs for the ipod, why would anyone spend $700 on a dac alone if the ibasso dx-100 is better than all that, and it is a stand alone dap of itself.  

This may be irrelevant to the thread itself but what I am listening to now is iPod Classic - Cypher Labs SOLO -db - ALO The National - 1964 Ears Quads and this set up pretty much trumps iBasso DX100. When I had my DX100, I didn't think I could hear anything better than that in the near future but the new CLAS exceeded my expectations. It's not slightly better, it's significantly better. Again "better" in a subjective sense of course = to my ears. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #133 of 181
Quote:

I am still waiting for my 3rd gen studios; hopefully they are great how everyone says they are.  

Regarding hiss, I actually hear hiss on my ipod nano 6g with the ie80s.  Its not something that really bothers me, but I do know that it is there.  Is that the 
'hiss" everyone talks about?  Are people making the hiss way out of proportion here?  

I think the hiss on the Studio will be a bit more noticeable. At least it is to my ears. Generally though it won't be distracting during music playback but that's not to say it won't be audible 100% of the time. I did use a 30 ohm adapter and that pretty much ensured no audible hiss at all. But for some reason I still enjoy the player better without the adapter...

Regarding the DX100 comparing to $700.00 DACs I'm not so sure about that. I've heard others compare it to home DACs but I'm not sure how much those very DACs are valued at. It does compete and even beat my DACport LX in certain areas. Overall I'm really enjoying the unit a lot since 1.2.7 firmware update. Before I got to firmware 1.1.7 I was actually gonna sell the unit and just keep my Studio V. It was that underwhelming for me at that point & the Studio V pretty much didn't lose out much at all to it in overall sound quality. Currently they really aren't comparable. Not saying the Studio is bad sounding because it is not. But they are different levels now IMO.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #134 of 181
Quote:

This may be irrelevant to the thread itself but what I am listening to now is iPod Classic - Cypher Labs SOLO -db - ALO The National - 1964 Ears Quads and this set up pretty much trumps iBasso DX100. When I had my DX100, I didn't think I could hear anything better than that in the near future but the new CLAS exceeded my expectations. It's not slightly better, it's significantly better. Again "better" in a subjective sense of course = to my ears. 

Thing is Yuceka you are comparing it to the DX100 with an older firmware. I highly doubt your CLAS will trump it now. I'm waiting on a comparison between the two from an owner of both. I won't be surprised at all now if he sells the CLAS. Anyways I'm curious what firmware was on that DX100? Only 1.1.7 sounded quite good and now 1.2.7 sounds superb. The rest were garbage and 1.2.3 was the worst.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #135 of 181
Quote:
Thing is Yuceka you are comparing it to the DX100 with an older firmware. I highly doubt your CLAS will compare now to 1.2.7.

When was that firmware released? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back