Classic CD players???
Sep 9, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #61 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
So...........What are the all time classics for stand alone and to use as trasnsports. Also classic DAC's.?????

As a transport these are the ones I like:
Krell kps25s/28c
Linn Ikemi/CD12
Wadia 21/16/860

I tend to like the ones that use Teac VRDS. ( better bass weight )
Both CD12 and kps25s, after over 5 yeras, are still holding up as a standalone player against many new comers.

The ones with Phillip pro12 or 9 are good also, but they have had some mechanical problems.

Sep 10, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #62 of 65
What's common between the two?
Burmies sounding like Krell? nahhhhh......
Only thing common is they are both transistors. [/B][/QUOTE]

Burmeister has got more in common with Krell than they have with say MBL. The point being kuma, is if there is such thing as a british sound even then surely the Creek and X-Cans should sound similar no? But they dont do they.Krell and Burmeister sound more similar to each other than Creek and X-Cans.

Sep 10, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #63 of 65
Quote:

Burmeister has got more in common with Krell than they have with say MBL. The point being kuma, is if there is such thing as a british sound even then surely the Creek and X-Cans should sound similar no? But they dont do they.Krell and Burmeister sound more similar to each other than Creek and X-Cans. [/B]

MF sound is a slight departure from a typical british sound. ( I used to own Xcans )

But, i see the similarity between, say, Rega, Exposure, Naim and so on. I think lot of UK gear tend to be warmish and value pace more than tonality and stage. Creek does fall into this group.

Many Brit speakers ( excluding B&W maybe ), to my ears, sound pretty natural and warm. ok, ATC and older KEFs are bit of diviation, but they still sound UK to me.

BBC monitors ( Harbeth, Spendor et all ), too I see some similarity there. I'd lump in Quad in this camp. Few variations, but all these speakers dont sound like American, dutch, japanese or what have you to me.

so, yes I guess with few exception, I can see there is a such thing as the 'UK' sound.

I still don't hear ANY similarity between Burmeies and Krell. You must have caught 'em in a bad day or somethin'.
rolleyes.gif
Krell has lot more weight and meat whilst Burmester goes for ultimate accuracy and speed which sound very German to me.
biggrin.gif

Perhaps a coincident, but so far all the German gear ( including MBL ) share the similar traits.

A side note, AKG sounds a lot like German, too whilst Grado, as Krell, has undeniably American temperament.

There are seem to be that Japanese sound and Scandinavian sound, French sound, Italian sound.. Few exceptions asides, I can hear a similar sonic makeup from the country of origin.

Sep 10, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #64 of 65
BTW AKG isn't German - it's Austrian. Close enough I guess but that would mean Senn (all models should sound similar) and they should sound similar to Beyer and these 2 should sound silimar to AKG (as they are neighbours geographically). However, a Senn HD-590 does not sound like a Senn HD-600 or HD-580. The Beyer DT-931 does not sound like the DT-990.

Anyways, I would be responding anymore to this topic as its super OT.

Classic CD Players

Well Marantz CD 17 must surely be included as the Rotel RCD-855 (which was the basis of one of Cary's earlier CDPs with the addition of tubes of course).

Another candidate must surely be TEAC 10.

Sep 22, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #65 of 65
Back in the day I have owned many of the great "classic" cd players (Marantz cd-73, Marantz cd-11, etc).

For a more "modern" but still classic cd player try to get ahold of a Rotel RCD-971. Out of the box it blew away many players costing twice as much....but with upgrades (clock circuit, output opamps or discreet output stage) not many cd players costing $1000+ can match it. It is also HDCD compatible. They can be found from time to time on audiogon and ebay and the upgrades are available from DIYcable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back