Circumaural Headphone Cup Sizing Thread and the Tacophone Effect
Jan 4, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #16 of 16
PLEASE HELP!
I have typically large ‘Northern’ British ears measuring almost 80mm from top to bottom and have been struggling to find some good quality ‘Open back’ headphones (max budget £1200) which are comfortable for daily use (2-3 hours).

I have various PC based sources (no compressed files at all) which will be used mainly at night: a Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus, an Asus Essence STX II 7.1 Rev. 1.02 and some 'real' Hi-Fi kit downstairs which I use less frequently (including an old custom built valve Amp). I currently have too very old pairs of Sennheisers which are bearable (comfort and sound wise), but I swore a few years ago that I would never buy this  brand again due to their poor bass response (however recent reviews suggest that this may no longer be an issue). 

I listen to a wide range of Classical (mainly Violin, Cello, Harp and Sitar), Mid rock (Queen, U2), 80s/90s electro-pop and dance music (Armin & Tiesto). However, my old Sennheisers still remain far more comfortable than many of the other newer headphones which I have tried over the past two months and one of the few brands which are broadly shaped to the ear ‘oval’ rather than round:

Beyerdynamic T1 1st Gen – loved the neutral sound, but these were too small around the ears and were very warm to wear after just a few minutes.
Beyerdynamic T90 – Loved the sound, but these were also too small around the ears despite being very light and comfortable across the head.
Grado RS1e & GH1 – Could not fault the sound, but these were incredibly uncomfortable across the board and clamped my ears against the earpiece of my glasses (leading to a sore head).
Audeze EL8 Open Back – Amazingly good bass, but surprisingly week upper frequency response (when listing to Vanessa-mae & Nigel kennedy). Slightly more comfortable around the ears than the Beyerdynamic cans, but still a bit too small, heavy and tight ‘clamping’ across the head.

For the past few months I have had my heart set on the Audeze LCD2 Bamboo+Microsuede due to the mass of rave to positive reviews, but these were not available to test at my local AV shop and the shop assistant thought that these would be very similar to the EL8 which proved to be a massive disappointment with violin E+ frequencies. He also suggested that I stick with Sennheisers for comfort.

I would really appreciate some more inner earpad size data to expand my search criteria. I would also appreciate views on thermal comfort as I truly loved the fit comfort and sound of the T1s, but they quickly became unbearably hot:

Audeze LCD2 Bamboo + Microsuede (£799 in UK)
Top to bottom = ?
Left to right =?

Sennheiser HD700 (£399 in UK)
Top to bottom = ?
Left to right =?

Sennheiser HD800 (£1100 in UK)
Top to bottom = ?
Left to right =?

Mad Max's list (re-ordered)

AKG K545
Top to bottom = 90mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = same

AKG K701 and its variants as well as K601 / 612
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Top to bottom = 100mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Audio-technica ATH-A900x
Top to bottom = 108mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Audio-technica ATH-M50 / M50x / M40x
Top to bottom = 100mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = 80mm (outer), 35mm (inner)

Beyerdynamic DT770 / 880 / 990 and their variants and headphones that have Beyer velours mounted
Top to bottom = 108mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Beyerdynamic T90 / 70 (and I'm assuming T1 as well?)
Top to bottom = 100mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Brainwavz HM5
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 73mm (inner)
Left to right = 90mm (outer), 54mm (inner)

Brainwavz HM3
Top to bottom = 80mm (outer), 45mm (inner)
Left to right = same

CHC Silverado
Top to bottom = 92mm (outer), 52mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Top to bottom = 90mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = same

M-audio HDH50
Top to bottom = 98mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = 90mm (outer), 40mm (inner)

Sennheiser HD650 and HD600
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 65mm (inner)
Left to right = 80mm (outer), 38mm (inner)

Sennheiser HD360pro
Top to bottom = 85mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = 77mm (outer), 40mm (inner)
(despite these measurements, you want to have pretty small ears for this one or sound quality will take a big hit due the headphone becoming an "on-ear" or "taco" effect, even my own ears are almost too big)

Sennheiser HD280pro and headphones able to mount its earpads and have them on (which is most of the headphones able to mount HM5 pads):
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 62mm (inner)
Left to right = 84mm (outer), 42mm (inner)

Sennheiser HD380pro (and possibly HD518 / 558 / 598)
Top to bottom = 120mm (outer), 73mm (inner)
Left to right = 90mm (outer), 44mm (inner)

Sennheiser HD6 / 7 / 8 DJ
Top to bottom = 96mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = 77mm (outer), 37mm (inner)

Sennheiser Urbanite XL
Top to bottom = 89mm (outer), 47mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Sony MDR-1R and its variants
Top to bottom = 98mm (outer), 60mm (inner)
Left to right = 77mm (outer), 40mm (inner)

Shure SRH750DJ and any headphone able to mount its earpads and have them on (i.e. K545, CAL!2)
Top to bottom = 90mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back