Circumaural Headphone Cup Sizing Thread and the Tacophone Effect
May 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bixby

Headphoneus Supremus
I noted in a post in Macedonian Hero's mega thread on closed portable type headphones that I would start a thread in order to help folks that were contemplating purchase of a pair of closed circumaural portable headphones.  Many potential buyers like "on the ears" or supra-aural headphones and many others prefer around the ear or circumaural types.  This thread will be dedicated to the circumaural types that many on the go users like for their ability to close out the unwanted outside sounds yet offer perhaps a more comfortable feel when wearing.  And while many may debate whether a can is "portable" or not, I will not and will include dimensions of all circumaural cans that are sent to me.

Many users have noted (as have I) that some very good sounding cuircumaural cans just do not fit the larger ears of some potential users. I think manufacturers should take note of this when designing circumaural types and try to make cups large enough to fit a large portion of the populace and to help users avoid the dreaded "Tacophone Effect".  

What the heck is the Tacophone Effect?  It is an effect (which I named) that involves the natural folding of the ear (like a taco) when a larger eared listener tries to get the top and bottom of the ear inside the cup of a too small circumaural headphone cup.  The Tacophone Effect is simply what occurs when the size of the opening of the cup from top to bottom is smaller than the natural top to bottom dimensions of the ear.  For example, my right ear is 67mm from the uppermost top to the bottom of my free hanging lobe.  Now to get that into a 55 mm top to bottom cup opening is going to take some folding when adjusting the headphones around your ear.  One could have some difficulty with the size on the left to right cup axis but I think most folks have more of an issue with the top to bottom axis.

To visualize the Tacophone Effect merely stand in front of mirror and place your right thumb on the bottom of your right ear.  Now take you index finger and place it on the uppermost top of your ear.  Bing thumb and index finger toward ear other to decrease the distance from top to bottom.  This is the Tacophone Effect.  Depending on whether you have free hanging or attached lobes may dictate how much top of ear fold you are likely to endure with smallish cups.  In any case, you will be folding your ear to some degree to get it to fit and attain the circumaural seal the manufacturer had in mind when designing the cans.  I am not sure of how the Tacophone Effect will affect perceived frequency response, but I am sure it does.  Even inner canal shape affects what you hear based on different resonance points of said canal. Perhaps Tyl or some other fortunate soul who has a dummy head and ear and measuring equipment will humor me and do some tests (maybe for next years April 1 edition of Inner Fidelity).  One indisputable effect of the Tacophone Effect is that it places the ear in an unnatural position that will cause some discomfort over time.  The Tacophone Effect is most likely to affect users comfort more than any user perceived frequency abnormalities because the user is not really sure what the can is supposed to sound like since they cannot get their ear into the cup naturally.  You might be able to simulate what the cans are supposed to sound like by resting the pads on your bottom lobe or perhaps on part of the top of your ear, but you are not going to get the seal they manufacturer designed the cans around.  For those users who do not experience this fit issue with many cans, count yourself lucky.  You get to hear the headphones in the state the manufacturer envisioned.  Many of you lucky folks will not need this guide.  But many of us will and lots of the older sect of the head-fi community will since ears do grow as we age.

Well enough of the "science"  
biggrin.gif
, on to how we can help each other when it comes to determining if we will have an experience with the Tacophone Effect when we buy our new cans.

The way I would like this to work will be for folks who actually OWN circumaural cans to post in the thread two dimensions gathered by measuring the top to bottom cup opening and the left to right cup opening.  Post the figures in millimeters in the thread and I will tabulate into a table over time.  Hopefully this will help folks who are on the hunt for some new cans.  These additional data coupled with your ear size should be helpful when comparing potential cans. 

Sony MDR-7520 Circumaural Studio Headphones.  Top to bottom = 68mm  Left to Right = 38mm

May 30, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 16
whoa, thanks claritas, great info....looks like it had something going then kind of faded.  Let's see if we can get some momentum here and if not I'll send the data I do get over to the other thread.

But then no-one will know about the Tacophone Effect 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 16
seems this thread is just as neglected as the other one.  And people moan when they buy cans and their ears don't fit.

NAD Viso HP-50  cups measure Top to Bottom = 65mm and left to right = 38mm

May 31, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 16
  seems this thread is just as neglected as the other one.  And people moan when the buy cans and their ears don't fit.

NAD Viso HP-50  cups measure Top to Bottom = 65mm and left to right = 38mm

Thanks for this. I removed the HP-50 from my wish list.
I value these threads a lot, since I have big ears.

May 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 16
I actually think this is a very cool idea, the  issue is I don't have any way to measure my headphones in accurate millimeters! 

May 31, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 16
Focal Spirit Professional cups measure, top to bottom = 48 mm (inner dimension with no stretching at all of the pad - 90 mm outer dimension) and left to right = 38.5 mm (inner dimension, again without any stretching at all - 82 mm outer dimension) - the pads are very soft, inner pads, with even just a little bit of compressing can accommodate somewhat larger ears than those with, maybe, very little taco effect 
smile.gif

May 31, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 16
  I actually think this is a very cool idea, the  issue is I don't have any way to measure my headphones in accurate millimeters! 

I use a real fancy one like this 
smile.gif
  Ruler  but you could get one for cheap like this one: cheap ruler

Focal Spirit Professional cups measure, top to bottom = 48 mm (inner dimension with no stretching at all of the pad - 90 mm outer dimension) and left to right = 38.5 mm (inner dimension, again without any stretching at all - 82 mm outer dimension) - the pads are very soft, inner pads, with even just a little bit of compressing can accommodate somewhat larger ears than those with, maybe, very little taco effect 
smile.gif

Thanks for the info geagle, a few more and I will start the table.  I appreciate it!

May 31, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 16
  I use a real fancy one like this 
smile.gif
  Ruler  but you could get one for cheap like this one: cheap ruler

Thanks for the info geagle, a few more and I will start the table.  I appreciate it!

Oh hey... good idea... there are also like super expensive rulers that are like... clamps that measure digitally in millimeters, I though u guys where using something fancy like that 

I'll post the measurements of my cans but... they all have... modded ePads :/ 

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 16
Dang, I had forgotten about this bixby, sorry.  Also, people should probably add +/-5mm variance in all measurements due to manufacturing processes not being absolutely perfect, hahaha.  Seemingly +/-10mm with earpads bought from Chinese eBay sellers and the like.
I've got a decently accurate steel ruler from way back in art classes.

These measurements will be of help to some, hopefully. I'm not sure if I should have checked depth, but then some earpads squish more than others.  "Squished depth" sounds funny, and I'm not too sure about how I would measure that.
Fortunately, there are posts around head-fi with people complaining about x headphone not having enough cup depth for comfort for the individual asking and y recommendation being better.

HM5 earpads add plenty of depth (and comfort to boot), then K70x/601 headphones have loads as well.  Beyers, HD6x0, HD280, and A2kX are another roomy bunch.  The rest have less depth to varying degrees and could cause discomfort for people whose ears stick out a lot.

- Brainwavz HM5 and any headphone able to mount its earpads and have them on (which is about most of this long list, haha):
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 73mm (inner)
Left to right = 90mm (outer), 54mm (inner)

- Brainwavz HM3 and any headphone able to mount its earpads and have them on:
Top to bottom = 80mm (outer), 45mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- Sennheiser HD380pro (and possibly HD518 / 558 / 598):
Top to bottom = 120mm (outer), 73mm (inner)
Left to right = 90mm (outer), 44mm (inner)

- Shure SRH750DJ and any headphone able to mount its earpads and have them on (i.e. K545, CAL!2):
Top to bottom = 90mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- Creative Aurvana Live! 2:
Top to bottom = 90mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- AKG K545:
Top to bottom = 90mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- AKG K701 and its variants as well as K601 / 612:
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- Sennheiser HD650 and HD600:
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 65mm (inner)
Left to right = 80mm (outer), 38mm (inner)

- Beyerdynamic DT770 / 880 / 990 and their variants and headphones that have Beyer velours mounted:
Top to bottom = 108mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- Sony MDR-1R and its variants:
Top to bottom = 98mm (outer), 60mm (inner)
Left to right = 77mm (outer), 40mm (inner)

- audio-technica ATH-A2000X:
Top to bottom = 100mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- audio-technica ATH-A900x
Top to bottom = 108mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- M-audio HDH50:
Top to bottom = 98mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = 90mm (outer), 40mm (inner)

- Sennheiser HD360pro:
Top to bottom = 85mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = 77mm (outer), 40mm (inner)
(despite these measurements, you want to have pretty small ears for this one or sound quality will take a big hit due the headphone becoming an "on-ear" or "taco" effect, even my own ears are almost too big)

- Sennheiser HD280pro and headphones able to mount its earpads and have them on (which is most of the headphones able to mount HM5 pads):
Top to bottom = 110mm (outer), 62mm (inner)
Left to right = 84mm (outer), 42mm (inner)

- Beyerdynamic T90 / 70 (and I'm assuming T1 as well?):
Top to bottom = 100mm (outer), 55mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- audio-technica ATH-M50 / M50x / M40x:
Top to bottom = 100mm (outer), 50mm (inner)
Left to right = 80mm (outer), 35mm (inner)

- CHC Silverado:
Top to bottom = 92mm (outer), 52mm (inner)
Left to right = same

- Sennheiser HD6 / 7 / 8 DJ:
Top to bottom = 96mm (outer), 54mm (inner)
Left to right = 77mm (outer), 37mm (inner)

I would post Sony MDR-V6 / 7506, but I gave the stock earpads away and use HM5 pads v1.

Edit2:
- Sennheiser Urbanite XL:
Top to bottom = 89mm (outer), 47mm (inner)
Left to right = same

This is great thread. Thanks Bixby.
Why not include On-Ears? They can be fairly ambiguous too in how they seal depending on the size of your ears correct?

I doubt it unless the earpads are very stiff, but then they would also be quite uncomfortable to the point that almost nobody would want them, I think.  Feel free to correct me.
Edit: spelling

May 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm a little confused. This seems like an excellent reference! But what exactly are the inner and outer measurements?
Could someone post a picture or provide a link with a detailed description of how to measure?

May 6, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 16
  I'm a little confused. This seems like an excellent reference! But what exactly are the inner and outer measurements?
Could someone post a picture or provide a link with a detailed description of how to measure?

Here is some measurement of the Creative Aurvana Live 2 for example.  They use round pads and the inner diameter top to bottom is 50mm.  A bit hard to see because of the shadows.  The outer pad measures just about 90-92mm.

That's all folks!

May 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Never mind, Claritas named it already
redface.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 16
I like this thread, and would not want to distract or add any complications. However, I think I am experiencing a different "taco ear" issue. With my NAD VISO HP50 headphones, I have trouble fitting my left ear into the height x width chamber, as described. But also consider my AKG K271 headphones (original, not the velvet ear pads - I've been eyeballing) I suspect my left ear is having a depth issue. In contrast to the NAD, I don't have issue with the Sennheiser HD650 (same size). In contrast to the AKG, I don't have issue with the AKG Q701 (not sure it's the same size, but it has a similar round architecture). Both headphones that fit better, I think, simply have better depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back