Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Oct 18, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #559 of 560
I use a Chromecast Audio and Chromecast built-in (Primare NP5) nearly every day. I never cast from Chrome browser. Bandcamp, SoundCloud, to name just two of many sources, enable casting direct from their servers. If you cast from the browser, all you are doing is mirroring your phone's (or whatever) audio, like a rubbish version of AirPlay, I can get better sound with Bluetooth.
Would you say there is a sound quality difference between the CCA and NP5 for streaming, something like Spotify Connect?

Oct 18, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #560 of 560
Would you say there is a sound quality difference between the CCA and NP5 for streaming, something like Spotify Connect?
I haven't used Spotify for years, but generally speaking the NP5 does sound better than a CCA when used with revealing gear.

Recently I swapped the CCA in my bedroom system with the NP5 from the living room. In the bedroom system there wasn't much difference, but in the more expensive living room system the CCA sounds relatively flat and less spacious in stereo, and there seemed to be a lack of variation in the timbral/tonal qualities of the music compared to the NP5.

I only use Chromecasting for lossy streaming such as SoundCloud and BBC Sounds (I use an Auralic Aries for lossless), so upgrading from one of my CCAs to the NP5 was somewhat of an exercise in 't*rd polishing', it would be a more worthwhile upgrade if I was using these devices as my main streaming renderer, not least because the NP5 offers Bluetooth, AirPlay 2 and gapless UPnP as well as Chromecast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back