Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 15, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #10,666 of 10,858
I think I had it wrong, I thought one or the other was limited and didn't try beyond 96k, reading your comment I checked the rme manual, it does support upto 194k.
  • 1 x TOSLINK
  • Standard: 8 channels 24 bit, up to 48 kHz
  • Double Speed (S/MUX): 4 channels 24 bit 96 kHz
  • Quad Speed (S/MUX4) : 2 channels 24 bit 192 kHz
  • Bitclock PLL ensures perfect synchronisation even in varispeed operation
  • Lock Range: 31.5 kHz – 50 kHz
  • Jitter suppression: > 50 dB (2.4 kHz)
Number of channels is a pro audio thing for IO expansion, if it can do two channel 192 stereo, theoretically it could do 384k!
Long story short I tried it, 192k works perfectly. This is awesome.
Yes. I have been using this since 2014 and it does 192K no issues for stereo output. Don't have to spend extra on fancy cables.
IMG_9433.jpeg

May 15, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #10,668 of 10,858
It has plenty of volume for the hd700 and the SR3. Both pretty easy phones to drive though so I don't think I'll need any extra output from the K7. I also plan on having these headphones till they eventually give, if they ever do. So really the K7 is a redundant unit. Really strange considering the size of the mojo. I didn't realize it was that small

May 15, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #10,670 of 10,858
These categories are all relative to the individual listener. Instead, I'd echo what @Daniel Johnston says above. It's as good as (or better than) any other DAC I've tried under $1k, and I would probably have to spend closer to $1.5k to get something that sounds like an audible improvement (which I have no interest in doing). And on top of being an excellent desktop DAC in the under $1k price range, it can also be used as a portable DAC/amp. Very few (if any) other DACs can claim as much.
Agreed.

From my PoV, and in my system, the DAC is even better than the built-in amplifier. Focusing on just the DAC portion there are of course things that will improve as one upgrades to better, more expensive DAC’s. First and foremost I’d say that soundstage is good, not great. It won’t create that crazy three-dimensionality of something like the Mola Mola Tambaqui (and no other Chord DAC will either in my experience). The Mola Mola has this incredibly lifelike sound with superb low-level resolution that the Mojo 2 won’t be able to deliver. BTW, the Mola Mola is one of my favorite DAC’s. :-D

What might be more surprising is that there are things I believe will be very hard to improve upon and where the Mojo 2 is close to being state of the art. And that is transient response - it’s exceptional! It’s also here that you’ll clearly notice the (relative) weakness of the amp because when/if the load increases the Mojo 2 slows down.

Where does this leave us? It’s actually hard for me to think of a DAC I’ve heard that will improve on the Mojo 2 across the board for sensible money. So as is often the case in life we have to figure what the best compromise is.

May 15, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #10,671 of 10,858
It has plenty of volume for the hd700 and the SR3. Both pretty easy phones to drive though so I don't think I'll need any extra output from the K7. I also plan on having these headphones till they eventually give, if they ever do. So really the K7 is a redundant unit. Really strange considering the size of the mojo. I didn't realize it was that small

If I'm only doing SS amplification, the Mojo2 drives all my headphones (including the Diana V2 and DCA Stealth) without issue. I find very little, to no improvement, to worse fidelity when using it as a DAC into other SS amps. For example, the Mojo2 and Jotunheim 2 were not a great match for me. And the extra power/headroom/etc... weren't significant in terms of punch, dynamics, or bass extension.

On the other hand, pair the Mojo2 with tubes and there is a magic that happens. The Folkvanger/Mojo2 combo was excellent. I ultimate chose to use the Folkvanger with Yggdrasil because I felt the overall SQ and presentation better. Currently the Mojo2 and Woo WA8 is my bed side setup.

May 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #10,672 of 10,858
Still can't get it to play anything from using usb-c. Is there a difference in sound than the alternative micro usb? The source is a normal laptop usb to usb-c. I've ordered an usb-c to micro to test from my phone.

May 15, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #10,673 of 10,858
Yeah good points @TheR0v3r, as I been saying, the DAC is very nice and I prefer it to many more expensive ones, however the soundstage and punch could be better - this is where for me an added amp helps as some of them had the effect of increased soundstage. Also by doing many equipment testing lately, it sounds to me that the more brighter/airy amps sound better with Mojo, maybe its a personal taste. Whenever I add an amp which has more dark and muddy sound I feel it kills the details of Mojo, like I feel loosing resolution.

May 15, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #10,674 of 10,858
Still can't get it to play anything from using usb-c. Is there a difference in sound than the alternative micro usb? The source is a normal laptop usb to usb-c. I've ordered an usb-c to micro to test from my phone.
It's likely your USB C cable.

Mojo2 is finicky with USB C cables. I use a Thunderbolt 3 USB C cable from Amazon with great results.

May 15, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #10,675 of 10,858
If I'm only doing SS amplification, the Mojo2 drives all my headphones (including the Diana V2 and DCA Stealth) without issue. I find very little, to no improvement, to worse fidelity when using it as a DAC into other SS amps. For example, the Mojo2 and Jotunheim 2 were not a great match for me. And the extra power/headroom/etc... weren't significant in terms of punch, dynamics, or bass extension.

On the other hand, pair the Mojo2 with tubes and there is a magic that happens. The Folkvanger/Mojo2 combo was excellent. I ultimate chose to use the Folkvanger with Yggdrasil because I felt the overall SQ and presentation better. Currently the Mojo2 and Woo WA8 is my bed side setup.
Ok, you’re raising a point that I didn’t think much about. I’m using a hybrid amp (tubes -> solid state) that may in part explain the differences I’m hearing going from Mojo to external amp.

May 15, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #10,677 of 10,858
It's likely your USB C cable.

Mojo2 is finicky with USB C cables. I use a Thunderbolt 3 USB C cable from Amazon with great results.
I know the usb c cable works, been chargingy phone from the laptop normal usb with it, used the same for the mojo with no success. Annoying as it's not a portable product yet

May 15, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #10,678 of 10,858
Should I bother with usb c though, does the sound change from micro?

May 15, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #10,679 of 10,858
I know the usb c cable works, been chargingy phone from the laptop normal usb with it, used the same for the mojo with no success. Annoying as it's not a portable product yet
Don't assume. You only know that the USB cable works for charging your phone, not for playing audio with a Mojo 2. USB cables are *very* finicky when it comes to audio applications. Seriously, I'd try another cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back