Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #10,292 of 10,870
Controversial opinion: the audible difference between 320Kbps and 44.1kHz isn't that big. Headphone and source matter more.
Another controversial opinion, comparing 320Kbps and 44.1kHz is meaningless, its like comparing apples to oranges.

I think I know what you meant though. :thumbsup:

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #10,293 of 10,870
Controversial opinion: the audible difference between 320Kbps and 44.1kHz isn't that big. Headphone and source matter more.
I think you mean between 320 and (Flac) CD format.
Streaming mp3 at 128, 320,... all sign as 44,1kHz.
1000006638.jpg

I agree that some well mastered 320 can exceed some lesser well mastered CD's. And that gear is equally important.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #10,294 of 10,870
Another controversial opinion, comparing 320Kbps and 44.1kHz is meaningless, its like comparing apples to oranges.

I think I know what you meant though. :thumbsup:

I think you mean between 320 and (Flac) CD format.
Streaming mp3 at 128, 320,... all sign as 44,1kHz.

I agree that some well mastered 320 can exceed some lesser well mastered CD's. And that gear is equally important.
Ha. Yeah. Late night post. Edited to be less nonsensical.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #10,295 of 10,870
Controversial opinion: the audible difference between lossy and lossless playback isn't that big. Headphone and source matter more.
If you already got the Headphones and Source that you like, going lossless is like a free upgrade - with most streaming services offering it for free and the price of storage media being so low.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #10,297 of 10,870
If you already got the Headphones and Source that you like, going lossless is like a free upgrade - with most streaming services offering it for free and the price of storage media being so low.
I don't even notice when Roon is playing one of my old, lossy mp3s in my library instead of a CD-quality FLAC file off of Tidal. Sure, if I sit and listen attentively and A/B them, I can hear a difference, but I almost never do that. I'm obviously not endorsing going back to old lossy mp3s. I'm just saying that lossless (or hi res) isn't that much of an upgrade compared to other things like headphones, amps, and sources. And I get why a big streaming behemoth like Spotify hasn't yet upgraded the quality of its streaming files. Most people don't notice or care about the difference (myself included). I'll take a well produced/mixed lossy file over a dynamically compressed high res lossless file any day. I won't turn down the "free" upgrade, but it isn't all that important to me.

Said another way, I got a bigger boost to the sound quality of my setup from upgrading to the Mojo 2 than I did from re-ripping my entire library from lossy files to lossless ones.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #10,301 of 10,870
I don't even notice when Roon is playing one of my old, lossy mp3s in my library instead of a CD-quality FLAC file off of Tidal. Sure, if I sit and listen attentively and A/B them, I can hear a difference, but I almost never do that. I'm obviously not endorsing going back to old lossy mp3s. I'm just saying that lossless (or hi res) isn't that much of an upgrade compared to other things like headphones, amps, and sources. And I get why a big streaming behemoth like Spotify hasn't yet upgraded the quality of its streaming files. Most people don't notice or care about the difference (myself included). I'll take a well produced/mixed lossy file over a dynamically compressed high res lossless file any day. I won't turn down the "free" upgrade, but it isn't all that important to me.

Said another way, I got a bigger boost to the sound quality of my setup from upgrading to the Mojo 2 than I did from re-ripping my entire library from lossy files to lossless ones.

The key is the type of music.

Classical compressed has a warble with piano music and with violins. Soundstage collapses a bit as well. Granted, unless you have DAC/amps like the mojo2 and good transducers, it would be easier to miss.

There is no universal anything. I've always subscribed to getting at least redbook CD lossless quality. I'm less convinced about 24bit tracks. I usually buy 24bit albums off Qobuz because ironically they are cheaper. Except for a few others I know, I agree most people don't care about the difference.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #10,302 of 10,870
The key is the type of music.

Classical compressed has a warble with piano music and with violins. Soundstage collapses a bit as well. Granted, unless you have DAC/amps like the mojo2 and good transducers, it would be easier to miss.

There is no universal anything. I've always subscribed to getting at least redbook CD lossless quality. I'm less convinced about 24bit tracks. I usually buy 24bit albums off Qobuz because ironically they are cheaper. Except for a few others I know, I agree most people don't care about the difference.
Totally. We've all got our own thresholds. For example, I can't listen to music over bluetooth. Just loses too much dynamism.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #10,303 of 10,870
Hello! Could you please advise an amplifier upgrade for my current desktop setup, i am using Mojo 2 as desktop dac with Jotunheim 2 amplifier with multiple different headphones. Mojo 2->Jotunheim 2 vs Mojo 2 direct - i hear resolution loss and soundstage get smaller, but i need power of Jot 2 and i prefer sound signature of this amp more vs direct to Mojo 2(maybe power issue, i don't know). I tried topping a90(purchased already) and dislike it for unnatural sound tone, on sale currently. Is there any amplifiers in sub 1000$ range as upgrade from jotunheim 2? Maybe Geshelli Archel 3 pro? Is it true that it is much better than Jotunheim 2? Please assist, can't understand where to move.
31e0a123-d4e4-40be-8fe7-530593f43dd7.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #10,304 of 10,870
Hello! Could you please advise an amplifier upgrade for my current desktop setup, i am using Mojo 2 as desktop dac with Jotunheim 2 amplifier with multiple different headphones. Mojo 2->Jotunheim 2 vs Mojo 2 direct - i hear resolution loss and soundstage get smaller, but i need power of Jot 2 and i prefer sound signature of this amp more vs direct to Mojo 2(maybe power issue, i don't know). I tried topping a90(purchased already) and dislike it for unnatural sound tone, on sale currently. Is there any amplifiers in sub 1000$ range as upgrade from jotunheim 2? Maybe Geshelli Archel 3 pro? Is it true that it is much better than Jotunheim 2? Please assist, can't understand where to move.
31e0a123-d4e4-40be-8fe7-530593f43dd7.jpg
Yeah, A90 is a no go these days, especially with Mojo2.

If you could stretch to $1200 I would recommend to get a Mj3. It’s a big upgrade.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #10,305 of 10,870
Yeah, A90 is a no go these days, especially with Mojo2.

If you could stretch to $1200 I would recommend to get a Mj3. It’s a big upgrade.
MJ3 with shipping to Eastern Europe will cost 1500usd, it is too much for me:frowning2: So i'm looking to Archel 3 pro, or something different, but don't understand where to look, A90 was totally waste of money, don't want to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back