Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 5, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #12,407 of 42,765
Is my Mojo defective? I just picked one up and when it's connected to my iPhone via the included micro USB cable and CCK adapter from Apple, the power light stays red no matter what sample rate is playing. I thought it was supposed to change color based on what files you're listening to? I've tried Spotify, Tidal HiFi, FLAC and DSD on my iPhone 6+ and the ball light is always displaying red (44kHz)

I've tried searching for similar issues and haven't found anything. Am I doing something wrong?

It likely means that the source is sampling anything you play to 44.1. What app are you using to play (besides Spotify and Tidal HiFi which are going to be 16/44.1 anyway)? FLAC is also 16/44.1 at CD quality but can also be high resolution files like 24/44.1 - 24/192. So, what are you using to play DSD or high resolution files?

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #12,408 of 42,765
It likely means that the source is sampling anything you play to 44.1. What app are you using to play (besides Spotify and Tidal HiFi which are going to be 16/44.1 anyway)? FLAC is also 16/44.1 at CD quality but can also be high resolution files like 24/44.1 - 24/192. So, what are you using to play DSD or high resolution files?

I'm not sure about this, but I heard that Apple products are limited to streaming 16/44 out of its USB......mind you I could be very wrong

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #12,410 of 42,765
@dxanex

Quote:
I'm not sure about this, but I heard that Apple products are limited to streaming 16/44 out of its USB......mind you I could be very wrong

Indeed you are very wrong, sort of.  iTunes and other audio output from most all iOS products output at 44.1.  You need to use a HD music app like Onkyo HF, Neutron etc (when you search one in the iTunes story you'll see other similar apps.

The choice depends on a lot of different factors like how you want to use them.  Most people (like me) use Onkyo HF Player.  Techies use Neutron because it has lots of different controls.  I have gotten up to 192 using Onkyo HF.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #12,411 of 42,765

Could you expound?

I don't see any product that has created the reviews the Mojo has!  

I am interested in what listeners feel about the soundstage!

Hi Peter, 

Have had my Mojo for several months and loving every minute.

There are probably 3 main factors which really set the Mojo apart for me, soundstage, timbre and transient response. But that's just part of the story and perhaps rather mundane, lol. Basically the Mojo is natural in the keenest sense of the word, at what it does. It presents the music in a natural, organic way, including soundstage. You can clearly hear positioning of instruments with headphones on thanks to the dedicated way in which minute phase differences are represented by the Mojo. It just does what it should in this regard. No fuss, no drama. Other bits of kit may exaggerrate this or that including soundstage and some people like that and rate that kit over the Mojo for other attributes, and that's fine.

However the most incredible thing for me with the Mojo is the way it gives you more of those special moments than I have ever experience before with the music, the ones which bring a tear to your eye or make you grin or cry out for joy, or start you conducting spontaneously or dancing on the spot. And wherever you may be, on a bus, in a train, on a walk, doing the washing up, relaxing on the couch. Wherever. That's pretty special and for me, what it's all about.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #12,412 of 42,765
Anyone of you using the Chord Mojo as your PC DAC/AMP-Stack?
Can it be used with being charged 24/7 or would you suggest to constantly charge and discharge this little fellow?

When I am at work I would like to use the Mojo as my mobile DAC/AMP and at home as my desktop setup.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #12,413 of 42,765
Can it be used with being charged 24/7 or would you suggest to constantly charge and discharge this little fellow?

When I am at work I would like to use the Mojo as my mobile DAC/AMP and at home as my desktop setup.

It's been mentioned that best practice for using it continuously with the charger is to first top it up to full and then start using. The reason for this is that once topped up, the charging circuit will draw sufficient power such that it's nett power draw when in use thus not draining the battery. Other reason is that if the unit is actively charging and in use, it'll generate much heat from the charging circuit as well as the DAC circuitry that will cause the unit to run really warm (hot) depending on location and ambient temperature. Due to this, some users have noticed their unit go into thermal cut off and shut down while waiting for the circuits to cool to operating temperature. This cut off is a safety feature and in no way would damage the internals, but it's frustrating to be enjoying your music and suddenly have it cut off on you.

TL;DR version: Charge to full first and use while charging for best uninterrupted experience.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #12,414 of 42,765

I am using the same way as u have mentioned from last 2 months.

At home i put into charge always on mode even after sleep connected to my Genelec Active speakers as out and input connected to Sony Toslink out...so you can say my Mojo is on charge for more than 12 Hours everyday,

next when i am at office, i use the mojo without charging with HD650 or VE Zen 2.0 for more than 4/5 hours...

no issues till now..and i will use this way for next many years until i need to change the battery..

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #12,416 of 42,765
Mojo music moment:  

Jazz After Midnight album
Track: 1 - IF I RULED THE WORLD 
Houston Person-Tenor Sax, Bill Charlap-piano.

Just got goosebumps and a stirring on my soul on the Sax. Wonderful. 

Guys, please share good music you hear via the Mojo here.

Rick

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #12,417 of 42,765
FYI, Lithium batteries are very stressed when kept near a full charge for extended periods of time, ie. weeks on end 24/7. I know Chord has said that the battery keeps a net charge when plugged in, or stops at 8.4V and tops up below 8.2V, but I've had too many lithium batteries die (they only keep a charge for a couple hours) by leaving them plugged in all the time for months. I'm not exactly sure if this applies to the Mojo's battery specifically given that its apparently a new battery tech, but that could be more for the thermals.

Also, to extend the serviceable life of the battery (approximately double) you should only drain to 20% and charge to 80%. You can read about it here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

The good thing is you can always run it unplugged and when in a low battery situation you can plug it in to charge when using thanks to the separate charging USB port. This would avoid the excessive 24/7 full charge stress. These are recommended best uses for Lithium batteries, however use the Mojo as you see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back