Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #28,441 of 42,765
Poly add-on is the biggest disapponintment in a long time. I don't mind the price, but what about proper built-in controls and a screen?

I want a device to do a thing in the right way, no multiple interconnected devices to do the same but much worse.

I will wait for the theorical real DAP made by Chord or for a real SD module for Mojo.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #28,442 of 42,765
You will never get disappointed as long as you expect nothing.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #28,443 of 42,765
  I want a device to do a thing in the right way, no multiple interconnected devices to do the same but much worse.

I really don't see how the UI from smartphone which is infinitely more versatile and way easier to make than starting from scratch, like most DAP makers today, could possibly "much worse". Most MPD Clients on Google Play Store already look more usable than most DAPs.

I can't imagine how you can top that with a module with screen unless it takes up a lot of space of which by that point, Chord might as well release their own DAP.

I think the concept is just too foreign and new to a lot of people that they can't imagine how well it could work in practice.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #28,444 of 42,765
  Poly add-on is the biggest disapponintment in a long time. I don't mind the price, but what about proper built-in controls and a screen?

I will wait for the theorical real DAP made by Chord or for a real SD module for Mojo.

If you wanted one device to rule them all - it ain't gonna happen, ever...

I think, the MOJO was build, primarily, to solve a hifi sound 'problem' from a mobile device. The addition of Poly takes it far and beyond in that respect. The price is that actually will keep many of us at bay, but it is a Chord after all and I do understand that high quality guarantees high price. Still, too bad that so many of us cannot afford it. :frowning2:

If we leave the price alone, it is quite incredible how many problems it solves, not just mobile anymore. Yes, it has no screen, but most of the people already have a screen(phone) in their pocket, and cutting the wire connection between you phone and MOJO is great.
It can connect to anything and everything and output absolutely gorgeous sound through MOJO - I'd say it is a miracle to keep in your pocket!
It also solves the problem of a streamer, if you are to use it in your home system, 'unlucky' for me I already solved it with RaspberryPi3 and 2Qute. If I didn't, I'd be placing an order for Poly right now.
I think Chord makes right decisions that many will appreciate.
On the other hand, people who want to complain, well there is no way to stop them. I always wandered though, if one does not like something, why wouldn't he/she just look for something else, find it, and be happy?

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #28,445 of 42,765
My main question with the poly would still be the sound quality. If it really somehow blows the crap out of the water when compared to other DAPs, then I will seriously consider it despite the rather prohibitive price. I have no doubt about the tech in there. But for my purposes, I don't need all that much of it, rather, the sound

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #28,446 of 42,765
All this discussion got me thinking back to my first attempt at creating a transportable music system. It consisted of a battery powered Red wine audio isabellina headphone amp/dac and a laptop to stream music from a server in my home. That was 5 years ago. Now with the poly and mojo I can accomplish the same thing all remote controlled from my phone. With Roon ready capability on poly I don't need to deal with the sampling issues associated with USB output from android devices and I have access to my entire music library plus anything I want to listen to on tidal. And best of all, sound quality is similar, given the advances in iem technology. Plus I get to have virtually the same sound quality away from my home. The more I read and think about the poly/mojo combo the more excited I get about the possibilities. Yes I was a little surpised at the pricing of it but given the changing exchange rates and what it offers for me I will consider it as an addition to my portable music system.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #28,447 of 42,765
My main question with the poly would still be the sound quality. If it really somehow blows the crap out of the water when compared to other DAPs, then I will seriously consider it despite the rather prohibitive price. I have no doubt about the tech in there. But for my purposes, I don't need all that much of it, rather, the sound

Bluetooth streaming will sound worse than with a cable but Wifi streaming may be very competitive. The best sound quality will come from music stored on the SD card since it's ditectly connected to Mojo.

I have heard Mojo sound so-so on some sources, great on others, and down right unbelievable on some sources (mainly Microrendu and LPS-1) if the Poly can match the sound or even come close to the microrendu with stored music it would be a fantastic achievement!

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #28,448 of 42,765
Hi Mojo Idea,

Very interested in the Poly and i like the cosmetic design.
With TIDAL integration will Poly receive TIDAL MQA streaming? Tidal website states TIDAL MQA is currently via Desktop only, so not sure if the Poly is supported?

Thank you kindly, Soundizer

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #28,449 of 42,765

Poly does not change the sound of MOJO, I think it is the wrong question. If you like the sound of MOJO, with POLY you just gaining portable, nano in size, macro in performance computer that can do WiFi, Bluetooth, DLNA, MPD, SD card - all in your pocket.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #28,453 of 42,765
Hi Mojo Idea,

Very interested in the Poly and i like the cosmetic design.
With TIDAL integration will Poly receive TIDAL MQA streaming? Tidal website states TIDAL MQA is currently via Desktop only, so not sure if the Poly is supported?

Thank you kindly, Soundizer
We are looking closely into the technical support for MQA within the realm of our total support for the Roon playback system through Poly. We will not however be implementing any changes to the already advanced decoding technology within our Dacs.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #28,455 of 42,765
Looking forward to Jude's video on how the Poly works and sounds. I think a lot of the disgruntled voices here about the price may change when there is a complete understanding of the Poly's capabilities and how good the sound is. In that, I trust Chord's engineering team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back