Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 29, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #23,447 of 42,765
Geez, I have repeated such observations endlessly, I know it's a long and rambling thread, but.. :D

I don't use the Jot as a DAC, I use a Modi Multibit, or sometimes my Mojo. The Mojo sounds nice through it, by the way- it's a very revealing and powerful amp. The Mojo is a tiny bit relaxed/rolled off in the highs, though- so if that's an issue, it's worth bearing in mind (it's a very subtle effect, I assume it's just a bit of tuning to make it easy and non-fatiguing).

Mojo sounds.. great with easy to drive headphones like IEMs, HD25, Oppo PM-3. It sounds "meh" with middling easy to drive stuff like HE400i. With harder to drive headphones , for example HD650, it sounds frankly awful. It will go loud, but be very boring, rolled-off and lacking in detail.. You can't expect a battery-powered pocket-sized DAC/SE amp to be good at that stuff, really, though.

Jotenheim can drive pretty much anything, it's very clean, quiet and powerful. It's a beast. The only thing I haven't enjoyed on it so far were my SE535s, which sounded a bit thin. Because it's very clear and unsparing, headphones that suffer nasty treble spikes will be a little painful through the Jot. HD700 and HD800 need not apply, though I didn't mind HD800S (might be a bit too much treble for some people).

Essentially, it's an apples to oranges comparison. The Mojo has a lot of compromises in form factor, thermals, and ability to drive headphones, to be mobile. The Jotenheim is a fully balanced desktop amp into which you can add a balanced USB DAC. You'll find that the DAC is fine and competent, but probably not quite as smooth and lovely as either the Mojo or a Schiit multibit.

If you want more of me banging on about the Jot, I wrote a review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-audio-jotunheim/reviews/16839

Essentially, I use the Mojo as a mobile sound source with IEMs or HD-25, and my Jot/Mimby as desktop audio source with HD650/HE400i, most of the time. Those two configurations are both very pleasant and enjoyable.

To me it simply seems like you are talking about synergy. The 400i gets brighter with the Jot, and the HD650 sounds better, not as dull. Perhaps the Jot has a bright signature. Also, did you volume match when doing the comparison? Without volume matching to within 0.5 dB comparisons on dynamics and punch are rather moot.

I've personally used the Mojo with the LCD-2, ETHER Flow, Utopia and it drives all of them well, and sounds great too. I've also driven those cans with some seriously powerful desktop amps (see my profile) as well as the Mojo, and, while not sounding exactly the same, it didn't 'struggle' to produce a very enjoyable sound with punch and dynamics in comparison. Quite simply, your repeated statement that the Mojo is only meant for easy to drive headphones isn't a general fact. Maybe for your preferences, with some of your headphones it doesn't cut it, for you, and that's fine. It may not be to your preference with some of your headphones, but it does very well with medium to more difficult Headphone's. Many many people enjoy the Mojo driving their medium to more difficult headphones, including the manufacturers of such headphones.

Edit: Please understand that I like desktop gear as well. I'm only pointing out that the Mojo isn't as deficient as one may think.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #23,448 of 42,765
The Mojo accessory pack arrived 2 days ago from Audio Sanctuary. I considered to cancel my preorder since I have the Fiio L19 cable to connect my iPhone 6 to the Mojo in a very small package. The Fiio L19 has worked reasonable well for me. I am glad that I didn't cancel because I will certainly use the Mojo more on the go from now on. The USB adapter module allows med to place the rubber bands exactly where I want them to be, and the connection between the Mojo and iPhone is more secure compared to just adding the Fiio L19 cable. 

The cables enclosed in the accessory pack seems to be of good quality. One small annoyance though; the Ferrite RFI Suppression Choke was not in the package. I know it is cheap to order myself, but I ordered the accessory pack in order to get everything at once.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #23,449 of 42,765
How exactly does the USB adapter block make it easier to use the Mojo with the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter? 

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #23,450 of 42,765
To me it simply seems like you are talking about synergy. The 400i gets brighter with the Jot, and the HD650 sounds better, not as dull. Perhaps the Jot has a bright signature. Also, did you volume match when doing the comparison? Without volume matching to within 0.5 dB comparisons on dynamics and punch are rather moot.

No, if you look at measurements, the Mojo does actually roll those highs off very slightly- I was relieved to see that, as I was starting to doubt my ears. Whether you enjoy that or not is up to you. I don't mind it, and if it was my only DAC option, I'd be perfectly happy, it sounds nice. 

Maybe it's not the world-beating revolution in eargasms that Chord seem to like to suggest, but it works as a perfectly nice DAC, especially for people who are sick of the glare of things like Sabre D/S DACs. However, I do prefer Schiit's R2R dacs in a desktop system. Again, possibly an unfair competition, the Mojo has to do a lot in a tiny space. For mobile sound, it's pretty hard to beat, however. 

How exactly does the USB adapter block make it easier to use the Mojo with the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter? 

It "swallows" most of the connectors, so just the lightning cable pokes out of the end- making it harder to damage the Mojo's USB in, while making the whole bundle slighly longer, which can make it easier to band to your phone. If you go and look at pictures, it will make more sense.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #23,451 of 42,765

Oooh I totally misread you. Hold on while I update my crap angry outburst.

It "swallows" most of the connectors, so just the lightning cable pokes out of the end- making it harder to damage the Mojo's USB in, while making the whole bundle slighly longer, which can make it easier to band to your phone. If you go and look at pictures, it will make more sense.

Nice, maybe I'll order it also then. The included Rubber Band Straps work great with an iPhone 6S plus by the way?

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #23,452 of 42,765

Nice, maybe I'll order it also then. The included Rubber Band Straps work great with an iPhone 6S plus by the way?

No idea, sorry.

However, if you want more/different bands, you can just buy some silicone wristbands- you know, like the charity wristbands, or the ones venues give out. I bought a pack of six for a few pounds from Amazon, in "youth" size, and they go around my Mojo and phones quite nicely. At the prices at which they're sold, you could afford to get a few sizes until you found the perfect match.

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #23,453 of 42,765
No, if you look at measurements, the Mojo does actually roll those highs off very slightly- I was relieved to see that, as I was starting to doubt my ears. Whether you enjoy that or not is up to you. I don't mind it, and if it was my only DAC option, I'd be perfectly happy, it sounds nice. 

Maybe it's not the world-beating revolution in eargasms that Chord seem to like to suggest, but it works as a perfectly nice DAC, especially for people who are sick of the glare of things like Sabre D/S DACs. However, I do prefer Schiit's R2R dacs in a desktop system. Again, possibly an unfair competition, the Mojo has to do a lot in a tiny space. For mobile sound, it's pretty hard to beat, however. 

I said nothing of the tuning of the Mojo, I was referring to the lack of dynamics comment. I agree that it's been tuned smoother, as does the Mojo designer given it's intended purpose. I'm simply re-iterating that your assertion that it can't drive medium to somewhat difficult to drive headphones is not a fact.

Now on to your topic of what the Mojo is capable of as a DAC, if you follow anything Rob has shared in these forums, you would see that its measured capabilities and processing power is magnitudes more than most DACs many times its price, and certainly the measurements will show this. I want to be clear that I am not talking about preference or tonality, simply speaking of technical prowess. I heard better devices out there for a DAC, namely my DAVE, and I find there are more fun amps, but that does not discount the incredible engineering in the Mojo.

Would I use it in a desktop environment? No, because I don't like using battery powered gear in my desktop. Does that make it less impressive? No.

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #23,454 of 42,765

I said nothing of the tuning of the Mojo, I was referring to the lack of dynamics comment. I agree that it's been tuned smoother, as does the Mojo designer given it's intended purpose. I'm simply re-iterating that your assertion that it can't drive medium to somewhat difficult to drive headphones is not a fact.

Now on to your topic of what the Mojo is capable of as a DAC, if you follow anything Rob has shared in these forums, you would see that its measured capabilities and processing power is magnitudes more than most DACs many times its price, and certainly the measurements will show this. I want to be clear that I am not talking about preference or tonality, simply speaking of technical prowess. I heard better devices out there for a DAC, namely my DAVE, and I find there are more fun amps, but that does not discount the incredible engineering in the Mojo.

Would I use it in a desktop environment? No, because I don't like using battery powered gear in my desktop. Does that make it less impressive? No.

I have been biting my tongue with some of Ancipital statements as far as the Mojo driving cans compared to some desktop rigs.   I have owned a liquid Crimson, Violectric v281, MJ2, Oppoha-1,
Woo Wa6se,  LC and others.  They all have different flavors and attributes.  I will say I am thrilled with the way the Mojo drives the HD800.  It doesn't lack punch or dynamics  at all IMHO .  I don't want some here to read those comments and think the Mojo is not capable of driving most high end cans with authority and also a  very sweet sound.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #23,455 of 42,765

I think you might have swallowed the Kool-Aid rather too much.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #23,456 of 42,765
I think you might have swallowed the Kool-Aid rather too much.

I don't think so. Just my experience with it and other gear forming my own opinion. Also, knowing the way it is implemented, and the results from the measurements, no one can deny the Mojo is a great piece of engineering. My experience with other gear tells me it's a fine piece of gear compared to others with some great capabilities. So is other equipment. Whatever. What I am not doing is making statements about a piece of gear based on what I perceive as relevant to the size of the box.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #23,457 of 42,765
I just received mmy mojo yesterday. I don't know why but  when i connect mojo to my iphone 6 plus, it had some noise. The sound's really weird. But sound's very clear when i connected to my ipad pro 12.9". I used Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and apple music on both. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #23,458 of 42,765
  I just received mmy mojo yesterday. I don't know why but  when i connect mojo to my iphone 6 plus, it had some noise. The sound's really weird. But sound's very clear when i connected to my ipad pro 12.9". I used Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and apple music on both. 

That's RFI noise from cellular. Since your iPad Pro doesn't have cellular radio, you don't have the noise

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #23,460 of 42,765
To test this theory, you can put your iPhone in airplane mode. If the RFI is riding in on the USB you won't hear it anymore.

Yarp, beat me to it. It's probably the cause. 

Mojo's very vulnerable to EMI/RFI down the USB, Chord themselves suggest that you put the phone in flight mode. Because that's kinda useless, I just use my old phone with it, which I can leave in flight mode without being incommunicado whenever I have the Mojo on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back