Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 23, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #19,021 of 42,782
I'm using my Mojo daily with a DX50 via Coax and a pair of Sennheiser HD-25s and I'm getting maybe only 5-6 hours of use before the Mojo battery gives up. I charge it while I'm at work using a 1A charger for maybe 2-3 hours and it is enough for the indicator light to go green.

Charging it fully takes maybe 4 hours before the light turns blue, but I would get about the same number of hours of use (5-6 hours) and that's not fantastic.. I listen typically at a volume where the balls are double orange or yellow most of the time.. is this typical, or is my battery not doing so well?

Also, I've read many many posts here and I know it is normal for the Mojo to run warm, but is this due to the nature of the power supply that it generates a lot of heat, or because there is a tonne of processing being performed by the FPGA? If it is the nature of the power supply then wouldn't that mean it is highly efficient as it is just bleeding off energy by converting it to heat? No other device I have generates so much heat, but it does help warm my hands on a cold day :)

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #19,023 of 42,782
It's a class A output stage so expect it to be warm

No doubt mojo is on the warm side BUT Not all class A amp are warm. Hugo for example are bright sounding.

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #19,024 of 42,782
No doubt mojo is on the warm side BUT Not all class A amp are warm. Hugo for example are bright sounding.

I think his usage of "warm" is temperature as in "somewhat hot, not cool or cold"

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #19,025 of 42,782
Hello All-

I have read post 3.

What is the general consensus for the best cable for Apple to Mojo? I have read that the CCK is the most reliable but is there a smaller and just as good solution? I have seen that there are some intermittent issues with the L19 and not really reliable. I do not want to spend hundreds on a cable either.

Thanks, Andy

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #19,026 of 42,782
I think his usage of "warm" is temperature as in "somewhat hot, not cool or cold"

Haha I misunderstood him, so sorry!

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #19,027 of 42,782
  I'm using my Mojo daily with a DX50 via Coax and a pair of Sennheiser HD-25s and I'm getting maybe only 5-6 hours of use before the Mojo battery gives up. I charge it while I'm at work using a 1A charger for maybe 2-3 hours and it is enough for the indicator light to go green.

Charging it fully takes maybe 4 hours before the light turns blue, but I would get about the same number of hours of use (5-6 hours) and that's not fantastic.. I listen typically at a volume where the balls are double orange or yellow most of the time.. is this typical, or is my battery not doing so well?

Also, I've read many many posts here and I know it is normal for the Mojo to run warm, but is this due to the nature of the power supply that it generates a lot of heat, or because there is a tonne of processing being performed by the FPGA? If it is the nature of the power supply then wouldn't that mean it is highly efficient as it is just bleeding off energy by converting it to heat? No other device I have generates so much heat, but it does help warm my hands on a cold day :)

It's not fully charged until the light switches off.  Blue indicates at least 80% full, so it sounds like you haven't started from a full charge.  I have a feeling optical lasts longer than USB, but maybe not by much and that might not be an option for you when out.

Your battery sounds fine.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #19,028 of 42,782

Just got the official Mojo case. It's well made, but I'm disappointed that the wrist strap's metal clip jangles against the exposed parts of the Mojo. I took the strap off to avoid scratching the Mojo.

Same, I did the same when I got my mojo offical case.
The metal parts on the lanyard will scratch your mojo.

On my Canon camera lanyard, I had a similar issue, and I solved it very satisfactorily (perfect, for the past 6 years of ongoing use), by simply sliding a piece of silicone fuel-tubing over it. This is widely-available from model/hobby shops.

I appreciate that a clip is not quite the same, but silicone tubing is quite elastic, and will tolerate the occasional use of a clip, without fatiguing.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #19,029 of 42,782
@x RELIC x

I very much agree with your assessment re: the Mojo. Not only does it simplify my portable stack (I use it with my DX90 when listening on-the-go with my CIEMs), it also keeps my desktop footprint to the barest minimum (my Lake People G109-A takes so little space in my computer desk at home). And I can't sing enough praises for the Mojo, both as a portable DAC/amp solution and a dedicated line-out DAC servicing my full-sized headphone needs. The Mojo "beating" its well-heralded desktop counterparts is a testament to how well-designed and -engineered it is. And that's what's actually making me doubt my plans to purchase a dedicated desktop DAC in the first place: do I really gain anything from buying such when I already have THE Mojo?

If only the folks at Chord Electronics allow us to hot-swap the batteries to resolve the batter management concerns in a desktop setting. Then again, I understand the rationale why they don't allow us to even pry open the aluminium enclosure. If and when it happens, I hope Chord and its distributors would allow us Mojo owners to bring in our units to have the spent batteries swapped for new ones, even for a (minimal) fee.I would like to think that majority of Mojo users utilize their units in prolonged listening sessions (I use mine daily in the office for at least 8 hours non-stop) and sooner or later the battery may conk out. 

Thanks again for the feedback! Very much appreciate the speedy replies! :D
Yes we would always allow any of you to replace your batteries however we did ensure that the battery within Mojo was very well specified it is not s normal type It has an extended operating temperature and this sort of thing usually pays off on terms of extending the life expectations of a battery quite dramatically. We could have gone for a far cheaper type but we wanted our customers to buy Buy a Mojo and to never have to worry about swapping batteries and of course we'd not have to worry about it either so there is a pay off for chord too.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #19,030 of 42,782
  Hello All-

I have read post 3.

What is the general consensus for the best cable for Apple to Mojo? I have read that the CCK is the most reliable but is there a smaller and just as good solution? I have seen that there are some intermittent issues with the L19 and not really reliable. I do not want to spend hundreds on a cable either.

Thanks, Andy

Unfortunately, none of the cables are absolutely bulletproof. It's not only a matter of CCK chip reliability, but also that the wire itself may fatigue, over time, because of the quite-exposed manner in which the cable and its plugs find themselves, whilst Mojo and transport are being carried around, in a bag, pocket, etc.

When the hollow module eventually arrives, this should at least reduce some of the stresses on the plugs, wire, and upon Mojos microUSB socket.

...But, with all that said, and in the here-and-now, I think you really need to be realistic and accept that there will always be a risk, regardless of which cable you choose.

I will concede that I think I've seen more complaints with the L19 than any other CCK-circumvention cable, but, other than that, the other options all seem to be pretty-much on-par with each other. Occasionally someone will say they are a big fan of one cable or another, but then someone else will come along, a week or two later, and say they didn't have such a perfect experience.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #19,031 of 42,782
I strongly suspect the AK70 is aimed at cashing-in on owners of a particular DAC-Amp, due to it's success, and the fact that it sounds easily as good as, and arguably better than, the TOTL AK DAP. If they can't beat the SQ of a $599 DAC-Amp + $100 smartphone, with a $3,500 DAP, then they may as well try to grab a piece of the action by creating a relatively-affordable partner for it, which (by a hilariously-absurd 'coincidence' :wink: is priced at exactly the same $599 as that DAC-Amp). iRiver also know that the discontinued AK100 has popularly been stacked with said DAC-Amp, by many audiophiles.

I have no objection to AK producing a (relatively) sensibly priced DAP that will feed Mojo nicely. I just find it quite laughable that they're being so obvious about it, without openly saying it.

Possible proof (not that it was needed) that Mojo took a big bite out of somebody's overpriced pie...

We as a company like A and K products and we are happy about a product very much like original A and K 100 going into production as it gives more people the chance to experience a cost effective solution giving them an extremely good overall Audio experience .... We are all for this as it opens the market to more people over all. It's a wonderful audio pass time and the more of you guys we can bring into this enjoyable and life enhancing hobby the better it is for all companies both collaborators and direct competitors alike.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #19,032 of 42,782
Just reporting back, after 2 days of commuting to London with my Mojo in the new official case it has not shutdown once. The external of the case gets slightly warm but nothing to worry about. Not bad considering it has been around 24 degrees in London (not that hot for a lot of you guys but in the UK that is pretty warm).
Yes unsurprisingly we did thoroughly test this in our case design processes.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #19,033 of 42,782
Unfortunately, none of the cables are absolutely bulletproof. It's not only a matter of CCK chip reliability, but also that the wire itself may fatigue, over time, because of the quite-exposed manner in which the cable and its plugs find themselves, whilst Mojo and transport are being carried around, in a bag, pocket, etc.

When the hollow module eventually arrives, this should at least reduce some of the stresses on the plugs, wire, and upon Mojos microUSB socket.

...But, with all that said, and in the here-and-now, I think you really need to be realistic and accept that there will always be a risk, regardless of which cable you choose.

I will concede that I think I've seen more complaints with the L19 than any other CCK-circumvention cable, but, other than that, the other options all seem to be pretty-much on-par with each other. Occasionally someone will say they are a big fan of one cable or another, but then someone else will come along, a week or two later, and say they didn't have such a perfect experience.

Thanks Mython!
Yeah that's what I figured. I'll go with the CCK and deal with the added bulk. This is temporary until I buy the Sony Xperia Compact.

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #19,035 of 42,782
  Has anyone had a problem with the Lavry cable?  It is been the most consistent performer in my hands.  I am not fond of the CCK.  It does seem everybody has a different experience with these cables.

Yes, I have seen one or two negative reports of the Lavricable (the company apparently handled the issues with good customer service).

It genuinely seems to be a bit hit-or-miss regardless of which cable-maker you go with

I have no bias towards any of the cable-makers I've listed in Post #3. I'm just honestly relating what I've witnessed, in this thread, having followed it since Day-1. You pays yer money and you takes yer pick, accepting that there is always a bit of risk, during longterm usage
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back