Chord Hugo
May 9, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #10,591 of 15,694

They specifically said:

Since they cannot know how every single DAC out there with a USB input is designed, they cannot make any general claim about what effect it will have. 
smile.gif

As Jeff pointed out though: $99 is cheaper than most audiophile USB cables (and products like the Audiophilleo and OffRamp) and at least we know that the Wyrd does do something, whereas there is much uncertainty with USB cables. 
smile.gif

The funny thing is, The Wyrd is handy when I have a DAP that isn't playing nice with Android File Transfer. Copying files seems to work better sometimes when not using a regular, cheap USB cable, but a better quality cable and/or the Wyrd. Likewise when using Audirvana to up-sample to 384k (though not with the Hugo) as it has lowered the number of drop-outs in my system.

Thanks for the information.

So, i guess that if i ever was considering a usb audiophile cable, getting wyrd instead would save me some headaches, when connecting straight to computer
biggrin.gif

I wish i could test it sometime, but the bright side is that i can test, and will soon the product that does the same thing from ifi.

May 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #10,592 of 15,694
@Currawong, I see you've got the Aurender Flow for sale. So, from your system, the Flow is out and the Hugo stays?
(I'm guessing it's because the Hugo's better to use when used as a dac to link it to a desktop amp) (and also better portability)

May 9, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #10,593 of 15,694

So, i guess that if i ever was considering a usb audiophile cable, getting wyrd instead would save me some headaches, when connecting straight to computer
biggrin.gif

I wish i could test it sometime, but the bright side is that i can test, and will soon the product that does the same thing from ifi.

One curious fact it the Schiit is wall-wart powered while the IFI purifier is not.

May 9, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #10,594 of 15,694
I read some information about how you can optimize your pc for Audio on windows 7,8 and 8.1 . I found the sound of hugo improve after turn off some unnecessary services I used Fidelizer .
also you can read and thier scripts this :  http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/computer-setup/
after that restart your pc .

May 9, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #10,595 of 15,694

They specifically said:

Since they cannot know how every single DAC out there with a USB input is designed, they cannot make any general claim about what effect it will have. :smile:

As Jeff pointed out though: $99 is cheaper than most audiophile USB cables (and products like the Audiophilleo and OffRamp) and at least we know that the Wyrd does do something, whereas there is much uncertainty with USB cables. :smile:  

The funny thing is, The Wyrd is handy when I have a DAP that isn't playing nice with Android File Transfer. Copying files seems to work better sometimes when not using a regular, cheap USB cable, but a better quality cable and/or the Wyrd. Likewise when using Audirvana to up-sample to 384k (though not with the Hugo) as it has lowered the number of drop-outs in my system.

So, i guess that if i ever was considering a usb audiophile cable, getting wyrd instead would save me some headaches, when connecting straight to computer:D .

Interesting. The reason i started this line of query to the wyrd, was a poster doubted the cost benefit of getting tt versus hugo. Certainly one can rationalize 100 bucks versus an extra 2500 for the tt. My point was the tt has structural improvements that should, and according to agoosh ( sic) does improve sq.
now i have fancy expensive usb cables as well. For my a8 oyaide 5s contenental and for my hugo cinamon audio quest modified for hugo. So ill say i am a victim of insuranceitis and am not sure there is a sq difference but continue to use these cables Happily.
Now im not advocating to use or not use anything but im inclined to buy tt before a wyrd or a power conditioner. Yes got that as well. Although it will move me up the cost curve. New project x may be beyound my cost curve, but we will see. It will depend on structural enhancements, ie increased taps etc and sq improvement. Facts are for me its chord as one of my refrence companies and would spend more for better.
Ps if wyrd is reading the need for a superior multy hub is large im sure. Im tapped out of ports. This might interest me more than the sq difference if there is one

May 9, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #10,597 of 15,694
  I read some information about how you can optimize your pc for Audio on windows 7,8 and 8.1 . I found the sound of hugo improve after turn off some unnecessary services I used Fidelizer .
also you can read and thier scripts this :  http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/computer-setup/
after that restart your pc .

I never found any improvement in SQ by switching off services. Unless you do a very processor intensive task, which bogs everything else down, I don't see how this can effect USB transmission.
I did however notice a difference when connecting to different USB Ports. Make sure not much else is happening on the USB hub  your DAC is connected to. 

Whatever does it for you.  - Ignorance is bliss! 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #10,600 of 15,694

Taken from the FAQ section on the Wyrd's product page.

"What about galvanic isolation?
When you talk about galvanic isolation, you’re talking about USB 1.1. There is no galvanic isolation that works at full USB 2.0 speed (480Mbps)."

The Hugo TT has galvanic isolation up to 384khz... So there is actually. It think it is because they don't use off the shelf dac ships..

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/chord/1.html

May 9, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #10,602 of 15,694

Cool, I wonder if the Schitt people know that...

I bet they know it but they don't care at all. I have the wyrd too. It's a nice device and I like it a look. It made a substantial difference in my system.
Another product for cleaning usb is the Uptone Audio Regen. 
From what I've read in other forums is that it seems to be more complex than the wyrd. 

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

May 9, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #10,603 of 15,694

I bet they know it but they don't care at all. I have the wyrd too. It's a nice device and I like it a look. It made a substantial difference in my system.
Another product for cleaning usb is the Uptone Audio Regen. 
From what I've read in other forums is that it seems to be more complex than the wyrd. 

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Interesting... I have never heard of this uptoneaudio but it looks promising. All I know is that the WYRD is almost a sure bet because of all the feedback. Plus, if I don't hear any difference, I can always return it to Schiit. I love how Schiit is always cool with that.

May 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #10,604 of 15,694

Cool, I wonder if the Schitt people know that...

I read the same exact 6moon article as well. That is the reason why I posted that comment about some dacs having galvanically isolated usbs and such but seems like different companies are claiming different things. This is becoming confusing... Also, I think Schiit is not saying that the WYRD galvanically isolates anything so it's a different matter but it just filters the data or something of that sort *scratches head*.

May 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #10,605 of 15,694
Enough schitt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back