Chord Hugo
Aug 17, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #7,638 of 15,694
Yup, I agree with Al regarding how good the iPhone 5 is with the Onkyo HF Player installed using the Cord Hugo of course...Amazing really... I've done alot of critical listening and comparison with many "front-end" UI to feed the Hugo including the AK 240, AK 120, AK 100, iBasso DX90, and finally the iPhone 5 (with Onkyo HF Player).  Its not my top pick regarding sound quality but it's dam close to the top of all these units I've listen too.  

Sincerely,
Speed

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #7,639 of 15,694
My speakers are rated at 87db at 6 ohms.. do you think the Hugo can drive it?

Sent from my SM Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

On the surface of it they dont seem overly 'sensitive' to me. The fleawatt tube amp guys run with 8-ohm speakers rated at over 100dB - yours sound like a total bitch to amp - Rob can undoubtedly advise you further. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #7,641 of 15,694
  is the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable any good or can someone recommend another one for the hugo. or should i not worry and use the one supplied with the hugo.

I'm using the Cinnamon USB in my desktop rig and it sounds pretty good. Not sure of its synergy with the Hugo though. I think there isn't a Cinnamon micro USB? 

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #7,642 of 15,694
So + on one side together and - on the other side together. Do you have the link to youtube video by any chance, i dont want to blow things up...thanks.

Hi SearchOfSub,

"on one side together" - I don't know what you mean by that - but it sounds dangerous...

The middle pin of the RCA needs to take the plus cord which goes to eg. the left speaker, the outer ring of the same RCA takes the minus of the same speaker. The right speaker is connected to the other RCA in the same way.

Since the headphone outs are parallel to the RCAs it might be easier to slice up an old cable with 3,5"-plug and solder your speaker cables to the wires of the old cable.

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #7,643 of 15,694
So far as I known, the best coaxial cable that fits the Hugo is the Kimber KS-2020 coaxial digital cable. Has anyone tried this cable and also know some other better coaxial cable that fis the Hugo? :)

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #7,646 of 15,694
is the Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable any good or can someone recommend another one for the hugo. or should i not worry and use the one supplied with the hugo.

I just had to return my Cinnamon USB cable because it would not fit in my Hugo deep enough to make a connection. I assumed my Hugo is a revised model as it is only 6 weeks old.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #7,647 of 15,694
I just had to return my Cinnamon USB cable because it would not fit in my Hugo deep enough to make a connection. I assumed my Hugo is a revised model as it is only 6 weeks old.

About a hundred or so pages back in this thread there are photos of the 'mod' for the AQ cables, but its not pretty. My GF and I had a fun time with an electric drill and a set of small grinding attachments but I gave up when it became obvious that we were in more danger of either damaging the gold connector or ourselves than we were of actually removing enough material from the shroud around the USB connector. I suspect that we need a Dremel tool but I'm not going to buy one simply to be able to get this cable to remain seated in the Hugo. Seriously annoying and I havent forgiven Chord for this aspect of their too-clever-by-half design. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #7,648 of 15,694
About a hundred or so pages back in this thread there are photos of the 'mod' for the AQ cables, but its not pretty. My GF and I had a fun time with an electric drill and a set of small grinding attachments but I gave up when it became obvious that we were in more danger of either damaging the gold connector or ourselves than we were of actually removing enough material from the shroud around the USB connector. I suspect that we need a Dremel tool but I'm not going to buy one simply to be able to get this cable to remain seated in the Hugo. Seriously annoying and I havent forgiven Chord for this aspect of their too-clever-by-half design. 

I was aware that the Hugo has design problems like this but purchased the cable because the retailer listed it as a 'recommended accessory' for the Hugo on their Hugo page . I figured they knew what they were talking about....

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #7,649 of 15,694

Yep, with iOS as long as you have the camera connection kit. With the Mac its painless I use Audirvana Plus with USB you get up to 24/384 & DSD 128 in integer mode. Make sure you use DOP for the DSD settings.

Does the camera connection kit affect the sound quality in any way? I guess Chord Hugo doesn't have a lighting connector? 

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #7,650 of 15,694
Does the camera connection kit affect the sound quality in any way? I guess Chord Hugo doesn't have a lighting connector? 
until iOS8 comes out, the only way to get high-res out is via the CCK, also to be fair, I do not believe that the Hugo is 'Apple certified' so will not accept native Apple signals (via lightning) anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back