Chord Hugo
Aug 6, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #7,261 of 15,694

I hadn't read about your new role when I asked about this btw 
rolleyes.gif
you just seem to be in the know on these things.

Congrats on the role too though
biggrin.gif

I was approached by John Franks about a month ago though I only decided to take up his offer just over a week back... so far so good & thanks for the best wishes, it's appreciated.

in other news from the other thread... the eagle Hugo has landed... after a torturous journey getting here (about 7miles) he's knackered so I told Hugo to 'take a weight off & recharge his batteries'... gotta look after your mates...
wink_face.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #7,262 of 15,694
Good morning.

I will,try the AP1/pp again tonight. I will use my surface pro , iMac and last caps with and without the AP . My reasoning for trying it with the caps is just to see what it does as knowing the source is fine first. It did I effect things but not in an improvement. This was similar with the ps audio DS. it took the air out of the music leaving it dull. They both are FPGA dacs although they are programmed to do different things . The AP1SE/PP. HAS helped every other dac except my B7 and MSB. They both did better without it. How ever it is the SE model so something is going on .
Al

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #7,263 of 15,694
hi

my monitors have only xlr and trs inputs. is it best to connect an rsa to xlr or rca to trs cable with hugo. or should i just get a xlr or trs adapter and connect to one end of my rca cables. is there any difference between tr and xlr? i can pick up some neutrik adapters locally. cheers

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #7,264 of 15,694
Buy what ever is cheaper. Also consider not putting stress on the Hugo RCA jacks.
Al

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #7,265 of 15,694
Ouch I should probably find less stiff cables. I love my bullet-terminated RCAs, but those things are stiff by some kind of polyester-like weaving!

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #7,267 of 15,694
Good morning.

I will,try the AP1/pp again tonight. I will use my surface pro , iMac and last caps with and without the AP . My reasoning for trying it with the caps is just to see what it does as knowing the source is fine first. It did I effect things but not in an improvement. This was similar with the ps audio DS. it took the air out of the music leaving it dull. They both are FPGA dacs although they are programmed to do different things . The AP1SE/PP. HAS helped every other dac except my B7 and MSB. They both did better without it. How ever it is the SE model so something is going on .
Al

Interested to hear your findings Al

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #7,268 of 15,694
Interesting that it's against wagt currawong says.
There us guy I can truly trust his judgement
He Is right in sink with my ears always not that makes any if us right
But thus goes in different directions. How ever I have the ap SE model he does not and I am thinking as he us it's the cause
Donkeys see tonight
Al

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #7,269 of 15,694
Interesting that it's against wagt currawong says.
There us guy I can truly trust his judgement
He Is right in sink with my ears always not that makes any if us right
But thus goes in different directions. How ever I have the ap SE model he does not and I am thinking as he us it's the cause
Donkeys see tonight
Al

Agreed, Currawong has exact same setup as me and his advice has guided me wonderfully so far. So the concern is centered around the SE model.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #7,270 of 15,694
Al,

Thing that is irking me, is that the Optical output could not suffer from the same issues affecting USB right?

That being the case and admittedly took some messing around with USB connections today - there is no doubt that USB sounds better

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #7,271 of 15,694

I was approached by John Franks about a month ago though I only decided to take up his offer just over a week back... so far so good & thanks for the best wishes, it's appreciated.

in other news from the other thread... the eagle Hugo has landed... after a torturous journey getting here (about 7miles) he's knackered so I told Hugo to 'take a weight off & recharge his batteries'... gotta look after your mates...
wink_face.gif

Absolutely, congrats on the new role. Rob Watts discourse on the Hugo in this thread was very illuminating, can't wait to see what else he in store for us

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #7,272 of 15,694
The optical helps in two ways. One being electrically isolating and RFI transmitted or abisobed on the USB wire.
It does help anything else as in jitter or noise from the source.
USB in general is better for me if from a good CPU
The political and USB from the UMT plus was very good but we must consider it's price and it damn should be.
One more thing. Playing spidif from the coax out if my hdpr10 was horrible and optical was much better and acceptable to me in
CIEMS. With headphones it was the same but worse for coax. And the caix cable is a made for the purpose costing me 350
From empirical audio.
Al

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #7,273 of 15,694

As long as the radio buttons before are set to "No upsampling" you're fine. Nothing will be filtered.

I'd want to be sure that the DSD version doesn't have issues after what AL experience. It is NOT a dramatically better transport though, but I'm glad I already owned it as it pushed the sound quality over the edge for me. DSD128 will still work with the regular version using DoP. The AP1 just thinks it is a 176k file being played, but doesn't show the volume correctly.

??  Audiophileo does not make a "DSD version"; Philip makes two converters that go to 24/192k (the regular full featured AP1 and the more pared-down AP2).  Those converters handle DSD over DoP (because all you need is 24/176k for that).  Nothing special required except your DAC (the Hugo in this case) needs to do DoP over SPDIF.  Hugo does.

Doing DSD128 over DoP requires 24/352.8k, and the only Audiophileo converter that does that is Philips's newer SE editions ($150 upgrade) They handle up to 24/384k and can therefore accommodate the 24/352.8k signal path that DSD128 requires for DoP.

If your regular AP1/AP2 is showing 176k then you are not hearing DSD128, you are hearing DSD (or 24/176k PCM of course). 

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #7,274 of 15,694
I have the SE version. I sent it back and he upgraded it for a fee.
So as mine is two years old it's new style

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #7,275 of 15,694
Thanks,

I think I will try the AP1 SE + PP, waiting to see if they offer 30 days trial on overseas shipments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back