Chord Hugo
Feb 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #12,991 of 15,694
  I do own the Hugo and enjoy it. What I'm against is policing people who don't enjoy every single headphone with the Hugo, which almost seems like a trend here.

What I'm simply saying is, the claims of harmonic distortion (questionably inaudible) being added to the chain with an external amp are exaggerated more than they need to be. Does everyone who mentions an amp added to the Hugo improves sound needs to be corrected? Why not let them enjoy the music on their own terms as well.

Again, you haven't carefully read my post(s). I'm not disputing the possibility that additional amplification may subjectively improve the sound. I just dispute the claim that it's due to lack of power. This of course restricted to headphones with not too extreme demands (so a HE-6 is excluded).

Again, I'm pointing to Rob Watts (who should know). Harmonic distortion we're dealing with here is definitely audible, just not as distortion, but as coloration. The different sonic characteristics of amps are the result of different distortion patterns.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #12,992 of 15,694
Well you guys know what my solution to Hugo and getting better sound and headphones scaling, it's TT. You won't need an amp unless you want to squeeze out some type of harmonic change, but TT stand alone is the answer.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #12,994 of 15,694
Round and round in circles.

Still

Same posts, different week.

...and you still haven't learned to ignore them
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #12,995 of 15,694
Well you guys know what my solution to Hugo and getting better sound and headphones scaling, it's TT. You won't need an amp unless you want to squeeze out some type of harmonic change, but TT stand alone is the answer.

My solution to missing the point is missing a bigger point.

I kid i kid. :D

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #12,996 of 15,694
Round and round in circles.

Still

Same posts, different week.

So what's your preferred kind of topics in a Hugo thread? Amp recommendations? Headphone compatibility? Cable matching? Free space instead of black letters?

I believe every kind of advice has its place here. For an open mind new horizons are waiting to get explored.
eek.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #12,998 of 15,694
im looking for double blind followings :wink: this may not cut it for me then :eek:

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #13,000 of 15,694
If someone says that they have heard audible distortion when adding an amp to the Hugo, and by adding that amp, the sound quality became worse, that would be their opinion and they would be entitled to it. However to discredit any claims of anyone saying they have heard an improvement by adding an amp to the chain, implying that only harmonic distortion makes a difference to the sound and the power of an amp does not affect the sound of headphones is just simply incorrect. It is based solely on the fact that inaudible harmonic distortion is added to the chain and not taking into account the added benefit of increased power and current. This does NOT mean there is audible colouring added to the sound somehow. It simply means the benefit of adding power to the chain exceeds the inaudible harmonic distortion added. 

I do own the Hugo and enjoy it. What I'm against is policing people who don't enjoy every single headphone with the Hugo, which almost seems like a trend here.

What I'm simply saying is, the claims of harmonic distortion (questionably inaudible) being added to the chain with an external amp are exaggerated more than they need to be. Does everyone who mentions an amp added to the Hugo improves sound needs to be corrected? Why not let them enjoy the music on their own terms as well.
Totally agree with you. (Great post)

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #13,001 of 15,694

If someone says that they have heard audible distortion when adding an amp to the Hugo, and by adding that amp, the sound quality became worse, that would be their opinion and they would be entitled to it. However to discredit any claims of anyone saying they have heard an improvement by adding an amp to the chain, implying that only harmonic distortion makes a difference to the sound and the power of an amp does not affect the sound of headphones is just simply incorrect. It is based solely on the fact that inaudible harmonic distortion is added to the chain and not taking into account the added benefit of increased power and current. This does NOT mean there is audible colouring added to the sound somehow. It simply means the benefit of adding power to the chain exceeds the inaudible harmonic distortion added. 

Please let's not cultivate false information and interpretation! I never said the Hugo sounds good with every headphone and to everyone's ears.

The «underpowering» argument unfortunately is still in the heads of some Head-Fiers: As soon as an amp or output stage doesn't provide the desired sonic synergy, it's classified that way.

...you haven't carefully read my post(s). I'm not disputing the possibility that additional amplification may subjectively improve the sound. I just dispute the claim that it's due to lack of power.

...I'm pointing to Rob Watts* (who should know). Harmonic distortion we're dealing with here is definitely audible, just not as distortion, but as coloration. The different sonic characteristics of amps are the result of different distortion patterns.

The only things I'm guilty of is criticizing the equation of bad sonic synergy with lack of power and proposing an alternative approach which isn't dependent on component synergy. And therefore avoids the complication of the signal path by additional amplification – which implies increased harmonic distortion which is audible as coloration and on its part compromizes transparency.

Why is it so hard to accept that there are other possible approaches – in line with the developer* goals and perfectly plausible if you think it over with an open mind – than the battle of material so popular on this forum? I'm aware that equalizing isn't popular here, most likely because it's a subject that affords some engagement, work and patience, other than just buying and combining gear.

Believe me, I know both approaches, meanwhile both from excessive experience. Systematic experiments a while ago have shown me how headphone amps color the sound in a pleasing way – not surprisingly many tube amps even more so than solid-state amps. But the latter aren't to be underestimated in this respect. It's safe to say: Avoid electronics components where you can if you're interested in how the recording really sounds. Of course what's possible is just an approach anyway, but why renounce this opportunity?

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #13,002 of 15,694
Open minded would be a far fetch to the discussions here imo. Don't sweat it though, seems like every equipment thread has blind followings not just this one.

Sadly, all too true. Assuming they're not just in cahoots with the manufacturer (i.e. shills), I always wonder about the motivation of those overzealous missionaries. Oftentimes, I suspect that cognitive dissonance plays a vital role in the process.

I concur. You are not alone, although we will always remain a (valiant) minority. :blush:

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #13,003 of 15,694
Curious if anyone here upgraded their source DAC/Amp from iFi iDSD Micro to the Hugo? If you did, was the improvement in sound quality a large step up? 

I'm at a triple fork in the road about getting new IEM's/headphones, new DAP or a new DAC/Amp. 

I can only get one right now.

I'm primarily using the Sony NW-ZX2/iFi iDSD Micro with Rhapsodio Solar or JHA Roxanne. 

If I got a Hugo in the mix would I notice a substantial improvement in sound quality?

I know there are other factors involved in "sound quality"...

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #13,004 of 15,694
Open minded would be a far fetch to the discussions here imo. Don't sweat it though, seems like every equipment thread has blind followings not just this one.

Sadly, all too true. Assuming they're not just in cahoots with the manufacturer (i.e. shills), I always wonder about the motivation of those overzealous missionaries. Oftentimes, I suspect that cognitive dissonance plays a vital role in the process.

I concur. You are not alone, although we will always remain a (valiant) minority. :blush:

Who are all or they in your mind?

Do you not think there is equall wonderment from others who don't understand why making judgements without first hand knowledge are viewed as facts.

You may not be alone and this "valiant" minority may in fact include others like myself.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #13,005 of 15,694
  Curious if anyone here upgraded their source DAC/Amp from iFi iDSD Micro to the Hugo? If you did, was the improvement in sound quality a large step up? 

I'm at a triple fork in the road about getting new IEM's/headphones, new DAP or a new DAC/Amp. 

I can only get one right now.

I'm primarily using the Sony NW-ZX2/iFi iDSD Micro with Rhapsodio Solar or JHA Roxanne. 

If I got a Hugo in the mix would I notice a substantial improvement in sound quality?

I know there are other factors involved in "sound quality"...

del. 

sorry dont have any of that gear. Except hugo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back