Chord Hugo
Dec 20, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #12,557 of 15,694
Hey guys i am wondering do i have to get Master 9 Audio GD, with the Hugo TT???

the reason is for the mids, since i want it to be lush. creamy and nice yet without going to tube amps (WA7 etc) so i don't lose the SS amp's treble/bass

and the best amp for this master 9. (assuming i will use LCD-2 and CIEMs)

yet i don't know how good is the Chord Hugo TT's amp, and weather if it will have the musicality that make me want to pass on the Master 9 or similar neutral amps with a hint of nice warmth. 

any help would be appreciated ^^

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #12,558 of 15,694
Hey guys i am wondering do i have to get Master 9 Audio GD, with the Hugo TT???

the reason is for the mids, since i want it to be lush. creamy and nice yet without going to tube amps (WA7 etc) so i don't lose the SS amp's treble/bass

and the best amp for this master 9. (assuming i will use LCD-2 and CIEMs)

yet i don't know how good is the Chord Hugo TT's amp, and weather if it will have the musicality that make me want to pass on the Master 9 or similar neutral amps with a hint of nice warmth. 

any help would be appreciated ^^

Hugo's 'amp' neither adds nor subtracts, more a volume control. If you want artificial lushness, I wouldn't look at a neutral DAC though.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #12,559 of 15,694
Hugo's 'amp' neither adds nor subtracts, more a volume control. If you want artificial lushness, I wouldn't look at a neutral DAC though.

don't get me wrong, the Hugo as a DAC is the best i ever heard, i am getting the TT for sure :p 

will try the TT alone, and will get some external amps if i felt like i want different flavors, i am a head-fier after all XD

yet if the TT offered a very nice female vocal and smoothness, then i will not need to go with external amps ^^

just wanted to confirm with those who tryed, cause i yet to try and test etc. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #12,560 of 15,694
Waiting over five weeks for my warranty work. It was sitting fixed and ready to ship for a week and a half with shipping tag notifying me but fedex wasn't notified to pick it up. Finally They got my calls that the FedEx guy hadn't come(their excuse) was because they have to schedule a pick up. So now it's on it's way although another delay from fedex is causing it to be pushed until Christmas Eve, we'll see how that works out. You never know how much you love this unit until you lose it for a time. My best audio buy ever, and that includes a lot.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #12,561 of 15,694
This unit has so good that it has replaced my main DAC (Rega DAC) I know that there is a significant pricing disparity between the two but I never imagined that it would be so good.

The Hugo truly shines when you send it instrumental music, especially anything with a piano.

My main setup now consists of: Sonos Connect>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker>Vincent 236>Paradigm Studio 100s. I also run my AK240 through the Hugo.

I rarely use the DAC to listen to headphones, my AKG Q701 does not do it justice. I'm hoping to buy either HD800 or Oppo PM1 in the new year.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #12,563 of 15,694
  This unit has so good that it has replaced my main DAC (Rega DAC) I know that there is a significant pricing disparity between the two but I never imagined that it would be so good.

The Hugo truly shines when you send it instrumental music, especially anything with a piano.

My main setup now consists of: Sonos Connect>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker>Vincent 236>Paradigm Studio 100s. I also run my AK240 through the Hugo.

I rarely use the DAC to listen to headphones, my AKG Q701 does not do it justice. I'm hoping to buy either HD800 or Oppo PM1 in the new year.

Can recommend you the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime as well. Unfortunately not at a discount anymore but quite cheap on the second hand market as a lot of head-fi-ers jumped on the Ether C bandwagon.
  HD800s is kind of hard sounding headphone. so IMHO HD800s require soft sounding DAC/amps like Hugo. very good pairing. needs bit EQing too IMO. 

I recon you mean harsh. I always hope for a natural sounding HP or dac. Harshness in recordings I like. A trumpet and piano should have a bite when played intentionally that way IMHO.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #12,564 of 15,694
I'm getting a Liquid Carbon coming today (hopefully!). I just want to make sure that I can use the headphone output of the Hugo at the same time as I feed an amp using the Hugo's RCA outputs. Is that OK? 

Thanks. 

In the meantime, I also hope to be able to offer an opinion as to whether or not the Hugo really does or does not benefit from external amplification. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #12,565 of 15,694
  I'm getting a Liquid Carbon coming today (hopefully!). I just want to make sure that I can use the headphone output of the Hugo at the same time as I feed an amp using the Hugo's RCA outputs. Is that OK? 

Thanks. 

In the meantime, I also hope to be able to offer an opinion as to whether or not the Hugo really does or does not benefit from external amplification. 

Probably don't want to use the headphone out at the same time, as you want to use the bypass mode to get the proper line level output to your amp.  That puts your headphone out at full volume, which will blow your ear out!

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #12,566 of 15,694
  Probably don't want to use the headphone out at the same time, as you want to use the bypass mode to get the proper line level output to your amp.  That puts your headphone out at full volume, which will blow your ear out!

I don't run the Hugo at full-volume out, anyway. Too hot. 

I was planning on setting the Hugo volume at comfortable listening volume for my headphones, then just turning the amp up however far it needs to go for the other phones. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #12,567 of 15,694

Thanks. 

looking forward for your impressions, i too ordered the LC for my hugo, yet fedex isn't moving yet as its too busy in USA now

will get mine way later since i live way far from USA. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #12,568 of 15,694
  looking forward for your impressions, i too ordered the LC for my hugo, yet fedex isn't moving yet as its too busy in USA now

will get mine way later since i live way far from USA. 

Just got mine in Japan today. Initial impressions: Greater dynamism, better bass, more engagement. At the same time, somewhat less of the purity/cleanliness that I really love about the Hugo by itself. 

Of course, it isn't burned in yet, either. So we'll see. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #12,569 of 15,694

Just got mine in Japan today. Initial impressions: Greater dynamism, better bass, more engagement. At the same time, somewhat less of the purity/cleanliness that I really love about the Hugo by itself. 

Of course, it isn't burned in yet, either. So we'll see. 

yeh hard to be as clean and pure as the Hugo, only the TT tops that :p

other than that an external amp will give us the kind of sound sig we want

for example i wanted a fuller and better bass, more engagement , and seems like this amp fits the bill

oh the most important element i am interested in is how lush/warm/sweet the mids on this combo? specially the female vocals

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #12,570 of 15,694

yeh hard to be as clean and pure as the Hugo, only the TT tops that :p

other than that an external amp will give us the kind of sound sig we want

for example i wanted a fuller and better bass, more engagement , and seems like this amp fits the bill

oh the most important element i am interested in is how lush/warm/sweet the mids on this combo? specially the female vocals

To be honest, right now it's handling male voices better than female. I think it'll smooth out, though. But this is the Chord thread, so PM me if you have any more questions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back