Chord Hugo
Aug 3, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #11,491 of 15,694
i found that hugo's normal volume range (say 8 to 10 o clock on a typical integrated amp) is between azure and indigo( 1 to 2 volt of hugo) with the lowest gain setting of ahb2 power amp. in case of lower volumes like in some movies hugo will have to be at violet (3 v) . this will depend on speakers too but with kef r300 it is just the right set up giving the best s/n performance both for hugo and ahb2. ahb2 is touted to be one of the quietest ss power amp (for the money). the results with hugo are no doubt are very special. this amp suits the hugo's clean output very well. like hugo the amp is neutral and totally grain free. the best part is the imaging which was already very good on hugo but ahb2 is much better than exposure 2010s2 in portraying the hugo's ability. like rob watts said earlier feeding hugo directly to a power amp improves the transparency. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #11,492 of 15,694
  My Hugo (USB-connected)  needs to be switched off/on if I leave my Windows PC alone for a while and it sleeps or sometimes even if it's awake for a while but not in use. (There is no sound at all).
Disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable also works to restore sound. It's just a minor issue, but is there a way around this?
I tried fooling with some Windows sound settings mentioned on various sites, but this didn't work.
(I even got a Schiit Wyrd box with it's handy on/off switch, but it fogged up up the bass, so I stopped using it.)
For the record, I love my Hugo anyway and it's not going anywhere.
Does anyone else have this? Thanks in advance.

Could you please elaborate more on Wyrd? Did it really worsen Hugo's sound?

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #11,493 of 15,694
Did anyone hear that Hugo's firmware (okay maybe not firmware but whatever is inside it) has been changed?
I heard from someone on a different thread that Hugo's firmware has been changed when ability to connect to android devices were introduced and Hugo's before that could not. Also, and more importantly, the person told me that the change in firmware/software/program/or whatever it's supposed to be called had an affect on soundstaging and bass. Soundstaging has become a bit smaller since the change and the bass has a bit more impact. This is sort of what I felt too when I compare my demo-experience versus my own Hugo which is the latest while the demo was the first gen Hugos with the smaller input/output casing. This might be just my placebo, failure of memory, or something but I just want to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. This was unheard of to me until yesterday but it sounds kinda like a big deal to me.
Thank you.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #11,494 of 15,694
  Did anyone hear that Hugo's firmware (okay maybe not firmware but whatever is inside it) has been changed?
I heard from someone on a different thread that Hugo's firmware has been changed when ability to connect to android devices were introduced and Hugo's before that could not. Also, and more importantly, the person told me that the change in firmware/software/program/or whatever it's supposed to be called had an affect on soundstaging and bass. Soundstaging has become a bit smaller since the change and the bass has a bit more impact. This is sort of what I felt too when I compare my demo-experience versus my own Hugo which is the latest while the demo was the first gen Hugos with the smaller input/output casing. This might be just my placebo, failure of memory, or something but I just want to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. This was unheard of to me until yesterday but it sounds kinda like a big deal to me.
Thank you​

Doubt it, maybe on newer models but in order to install a new firmware update it would be necessary to send all previous units back to Chord.  I just don't see this happening.  You have the newer Hugo such as 2Qute plus the TT and DAVE. 
I have one of the first Hugo's released and find overwhelming amount of bass but, and this is the big one, you need a very clean source with the Hugo.  It's very temper mental about source.  RF noise etc.  The cleaner the source input the better the Hugo output (especially bass), shockingly better via PCM.  DSD isn't so bad either.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #11,495 of 15,694

Doubt it, maybe on newer models but in order to install a new firmware update it would be necessary to send all previous units back to Chord.  I just don't see this happening.  You have the newer Hugo such as 2Qute plus the TT and DAVE. 
I have one of the first Hugo's released and find overwhelming amount of bass but, and this is the big one, you need a very clean source with the Hugo.  It's very temper mental about source.  RF noise etc.  The cleaner the source input the better the Hugo output, shockingly better via PCM.  DSD isn't so bad either.

I think there's a misunderstanding. I was saying that the "firmware" or onboard program has been changed and there won't be an update for older units. I never wrote about an update, but rather, I was just saying that it might have been changed.

Also, I was demoing the demo unit with the same set up as the set up I am using now with my own Hugo. That was with recordings that I am quite familiar with so I don't think there should have been any other differences in terms of how the system is set up.

I don't think the sound difference is big or game-breaking but only that there might have been a change. The person who told me about it also said that he tried 7 different Hugos and had the result depending on whether the Hugo was the one with the old on-board firmware or not (again, I'm not talking about an update because updating the Hugo's on board program cannot be done by the user).

I'm not exactly sure yet but will have to try out for myself to get a clear answer as there has not been much talk about this that I've seen other than the person who first told me about it last night.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #11,496 of 15,694
Has anyone found a Chord Hugo Power Supply that works in Europe/Norway? The one on Moon-Audio obviously has american sockets. I need a spare power supply to use at work. 

The specs on the original power supply says: 

AC100-240V, 50/60Hz, 1.5A
DC11.0V, 1.0A

I can´t find any 11V power supplies. And I don´t know if it´s 1 or 1.5A. My guess is 1.0A. 
Would I damage the Hugo if I use 12V - 1.0A power supply? I´v got a 12V - 0.5A power supply, but I dont dare to use ut. (Logically it should be safe to use a less powerful power supply.)

If anyone can help me out, I´d be very happy!

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #11,497 of 15,694
Thank you.

my hugo work on my android device just fine :/

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #11,499 of 15,694
  Has anyone found a Chord Hugo Power Supply that works in Europe/Norway? The one on Moon-Audio obviously has american sockets. I need a spare power supply to use at work. 

If anyone can help me out, I´d be very happy!

there is a Swedish distributor who will be able to sort you the correct power-supply, please email them via link below.

Link: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/retailers-map.asp?type=INT

If you don't get any joy send me a pm, hth...
normal_smile .gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #11,500 of 15,694
there's a few assumptions going on so I'll see if Smiley's around to clarify things... this is what I know, since the Hugo release there have been modifications to the case (RCA openings widened) and to the board, namely the USB was made more secure and another slight modification because of the USB mod... I have not heard or am aware of any firmware update(?) since the Hugo's release.

to quote Arnie... I'll be back...
normal_smile .gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #11,502 of 15,694
  there's a few assumptions going on so I'll see if Smiley's around to clarify things... this is what I know, since the Hugo release there have been modifications to the case (RCA openings widened) and to the board, namely the USB was made more secure and another slight modification because of the USB mod... I have not heard or am aware of any firmware update(?) since the Hugo's release.

to quote Arnie... I'll be back...
normal_smile .gif

heard back from Smiley, it took a while as 'he's on the job' so he had to use a pigeon to send a message... all it said was 'you are correct & there has been no firmware updates since release'... so there you go an update from Smiley, straight from the band on the pigeon's leg...
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #11,503 of 15,694

heard back from Smiley, it took a while as 'he's on the job' so he had to use a pigeon to send a message... all it said was 'you are correct & there has been no firmware updates since release'... so there you go an update from Smiley, straight from the band on the pigeon's leg...
wink_face.gif

Good to know. :D
  no I dont think so.

what version of android do you have? Lollipop (android 5.0) makes it a lot easier for user to use an external DAC, basically plug and play.

Mine's plug and play with android, it's just that I heard that there were some that were not able to do that in the past which supposedly had a different firmware but I guess OK-Guy cleared it up for us.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #11,504 of 15,694
  Good to know. :D
Mine's plug and play with android, it's just that I heard that there were some that were not able to do that in the past which supposedly had a different firmware but I guess OK-Guy cleared it up for us.

I'm 100% sure whoever says that had android 4.4.4 or lower. 5.0 is really awesome for audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back