Chord Hugo
Jun 13, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #10,936 of 15,694
  Ultrason ED5's are not a very hard headphone to drive well like a HD800 so I would say that was one of the many reasons. hth

well, not so easy to drive.  Less efficient than my LCD-X or TH900.  

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #10,938 of 15,694

well, not so easy to drive.  Less efficient than my LCD-X or TH900.  

You could expect to see more improvements with HD800, or LCD series, or something very hard to drive. Edition 5 might not sound so much like a night and day difference. I think that I would bet that there will not be a night and day difference with any headphone, more like a subtle difference, so, this is probably why you fiind such a little difference. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #10,939 of 15,694
  Who really knows? It's good news for us Hugo owners haha :).
But I think that a big part of the improvement that Chord has made to the TT over the Hugo is the galvanically isolated USB so I think testing with a computer using the USB input would make the difference more obvious (it's just my guess). Or it may be the headphones, recordings, mood of the day, and lots of reasons.

With headphones like HD800 and TH900, I did not hear any difference between the TT and Hugo.  The ergonomics is much better than the Hugo.  It has always been challenging using the micro USB connections in the Hugo.  The TT has the more robust large standard B connections.  All the other connections are improved and more like a professional studio device.  I love the XLR jacks.  Using it with the Stax amps gets the improved the sonics of the SR-009.  Here, I say noticeable difference can be heard.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #10,940 of 15,694
Many here comment on the micro USBs on the Hugo as being somewhat fragile. I've never used them but I am concerned if I do I'll end up having troubles. Any comments on what makes these connections troublesome would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #10,941 of 15,694
Many here comment on the micro USBs on the Hugo as being somewhat fragile. I've never used them but I am concerned if I do I'll end up having troubles. Any comments on what makes these connections troublesome would be greatly appreciated.

The only issues other than it being a small connection is that of the cable connection itself. The stock that comes with it are loose, I found cheap and expensive cable replacements that are snug fit. However you don't need to look for problems where they don't exist, so just stay calm, carry on.

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #10,942 of 15,694

This issue was because, usb port were soldered to the PCB, but not re-infoced against the port openings of the chasis.
All port openings in the chasis are larger than the ports itself, while this aids in heat dissipation, not great for ports longevity.
Some first gen owners reported usb ports breaking off the PCB. Chord addressed that by re-inforcing the usb port on the PCB itself. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #10,943 of 15,694
The only issues other than it being a small connection is that of the cable connection itself. The stock that comes with it are loose, I found cheap and expensive cable replacements that are snug fit. However you don't need to look for problems where they don't exist, so just stay calm, carry on.

This issue was because, usb port were soldered to the PCB, but not re-infoced against the port openings of the chasis.
All port openings in the chasis are larger than the ports itself, while this aids in heat dissipation, not great for ports longevity.
Some first gen owners reported usb ports breaking off the PCB. Chord addressed that by re-inforcing the usb port on the PCB itself. 

Thank you for the replies. It is nice to read that Chord addressed this problem on later models.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #10,945 of 15,694
  I've been running Hugo TT for 2 days ,I found the depth and imaging becomes noticeably better .I used beyer T1 and lcd 3F .  you should try it with Hugo too .

Do you have both TT and Hugo currently?

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #10,948 of 15,694
If I have a good amp that time I won't sold it but after hugo tt came out, I thought it will be good idea to sell my hugo and get TT which I like alot with my headphones .

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #10,949 of 15,694
Hi folks,

I just listed my Chord Hugo for sale on Audiogon. Includes Chord leather case. 
Great DAC. Looking to fund a TT.

Also listed on Head-Fi Classified but transaction will go through Audiogon to manage offers and transaction details.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-chord-electronics-ltd-hugo-dac-with-leather-case-2015-06-13-digital-94404-foster-city-ca

Surfski

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #10,950 of 15,694
  I sold Hugo and still have Hugo TT .

Did you have a chance to test both Chord TT and Chord Hugo at the same time and place before parting ways with your Hugo?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back