Chord Hugo
Apr 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #10,126 of 15,694
I just past the first month mark with the Hugo.  I am still cycling through my headphones.  Having gone through of note with the better pairings being: HD800, SR009, GS1000, ED10, LCD3, K812, IE846, LCD3, SR007II, 650, PS1000, and TH900.  HD800 and SR009 have the most ear time. Amazingly, the cans with the most consecutive days are the GS1000.  They can simulate my Cary 300B OTL experience in the most intimate of ways.

With the SR009, I can say it's almost 100% like my Nagra HD DAC to BHSE with Jena Labs USB and Nordost playing 24/192 rock tracks.  It is that amazing.  The Hugo is a small fraction of the cost.
Playing jazz, maybe 95% and 90% classical.

I have not turned on my home speakers since the Hugo arrived.  Being able to listen continuously for 8 hours on a flight from NYC to HK was a first for me.  I used the TH900 for this as it leaked the least in my collection.

A Scary sidenote:
Thursday, I left the Hugo playing over night not realizing my Shunyata power strip was off.  Yesteday morning, I turned the power back on but my Macbook Pro keeps dropping USB connection with the Hugo.  I changed to other USB2 cables and the same thing happened.  Finally, I read the Chord Hugo FAQ and realized that the battery needs to be recalibrated.  So I unplugged the cords, power off and let it charge for 5 hours.  It works fine now.

I have a Hugo and I am also amaze How well it compare to desktop DACS. Right now I am comparing my HUGO to an ARM DP-777 SE dac, and... Can't convince me that the ARM is better !!

One question: what amp are you using whith the HUGO to power your SR009 ?

Other question: since 1 year I am tempted by the NAGRA HD DAC but still hésitate dur to the price. Is it really worth the 20.000 $ asked ? Are you using it's built'in Headphone amp ? If yes, then is it good enough to avoid using an external Heafphone amp ?

Thanks a lot for your comments on the NAGRA.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #10,127 of 15,694

And what's the purpose of citing another person's statement about a DAC you apparently haven't heard yourself? It's regarded as bad posting behavior on Head-fi and has been deleted by the mods in other cases (also in this thread).
  If it's yourself you're citing, please make it clear enough. In any event, it's one person's experience and opinion (repeated for more weight).

Um, I think you were confused by my attempt at a humble introduction to my own impressions by saying "one guy's impressions." They're obviously my own if you look at my gear.

That's what I realized in hindsight. However, without having heard the PWD Mk.II, it is (actually was) more than 3½ the price of the Hugo in my place, hence a different caliber. BTW, I agree with joeexp on the USB connection: I even get audible noise through it. Most of the time I listen with S/PDIF, sometimes Toslink, which sound better to my ears.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #10,128 of 15,694
I have a Hugo and I am also amaze How well it compare to desktop DACS. Right now I am comparing my HUGO to an ARM DP-777 SE dac, and... Can't convince me that the ARM is better !!

One question: what amp are you using whith the HUGO to power your SR009 ?

Other question: since 1 year I am tempted by the NAGRA HD DAC but still hésitate dur to the price. Is it really worth the 20.000 $ asked ? Are you using it's built'in Headphone amp ? If yes, then is it good enough to avoid using an external Heafphone amp ?

Thanks a lot for your comments on the NAGRA.

Headamp BHSE with the Hugo.  I have not tried my Stax amp with the Hugo yet.  I will soon.

Find a Nagra dealer that has a loaner for a reasonable cost to use for two weeks.  The Nagra HD DAC needs that much time to acclimate with your existing system for proper evaluation.  The headphone of the Nagra is a TOL product by itself.  My Cary 300SEI headphone is better for jazz and classical.  So, save yourself a ton if it is just headphone amp that you want.
Hugo with iPhone 6 plus with CCK is nearly as good as these two headphone outs for rock.  You cannot travel with either the Cary or Nagra HD DAC as headphone amp.  Well, maybe you can take both on your boat.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #10,129 of 15,694
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #10,130 of 15,694
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #10,131 of 15,694
  Top of the line 

Thanks! So far I've just seen «TOTL», and I thought maybe «TOL» is something different.
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #10,132 of 15,694
gs1000.gif
o2smile.gif
Quote:

And what's the purpose of citing another person's statement about a DAC you apparently haven't heard yourself? It's regarded as bad posting behavior on Head-fi and has been deleted by the mods in other cases (also in this thread).

If it's yourself you're citing, please make it clear enough. In any event, it's one person's experience and opinion (repeated for more weight).

Um, I think you were confused by my attempt at a humble introduction to my own impressions by saying "one guy's impressions." They're obviously my own if you look at my gear.

To level the playing field, try feeding the Hugo via the Off-Ramp SPDIF out; This way you will get the best out of your Hugo.
  Compared to the Hugo TT, the portable doesn't have galvanic isolation via USB. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I almost forgot my Off-Ramp has a SPDIF out.  But I'll need to get a BCA to RCA cable...I'll report back on any sound changes with the Hugo with the Off-Ramp.

You will be surprised! 

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #10,133 of 15,694
Regarding USB2 cables.  The AQ Diamond...

..and the Jena Lab StreamDancer USB2

are so good with the Hugo.  There is no clear winner here.  The Diamond is clinical with symphonies and ensembles.  It plays orchestral instruments with precise placement and the timing is exact.  The only drawback is that this cable is heavy and the DBS box is bulky.  Harder to travel with. The Jena Lab StreamDancer is so creamy with voices.  It's light weight and I have traveled with it many times.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #10,134 of 15,694

Headamp BHSE with the Hugo.  I have not tried my Stax amp with the Hugo yet.  I will soon.

Find a Nagra dealer that has a loaner for a reasonable cost to use for two weeks.  The Nagra HD DAC needs that much time to acclimate with your existing system for proper evaluation.  The headphone of the Nagra is a TOL product by itself.  My Cary 300SEI headphone is better for jazz and classical.  So, save yourself a ton if it is just headphone amp that you want.
Hugo with iPhone 6 plus with CCK is nearly as good as these two headphone outs for rock.  You cannot travel with either the Cary or Nagra HD DAC as headphone amp.  Well, maybe you can take both on your boat.

Thanks, I will try to find a loaner, but I do not know if this is possible here in Belgium...

Why do you say "The Nagra HD DAC needs that much time to acclimate with your existing system for proper evaluation." ?

I am happy to hear that the Headphone amp is TOL.  Do you use with all your dynamic headphones  or do you use another external AMP ?

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #10,135 of 15,694

Thanks, I will try to find a loaner, but I do not know if this is possible here in Belgium...

Why do you say "The Nagra HD DAC needs that much time to acclimate with your existing system for proper evaluation." ?

I am happy to hear that the Headphone amp is TOL.  Do you use with all your dynamic headphones  or do you use another external AMP ?

You're welcome.

If you buy everything you saw at the dealer that were used with the Nagra HD DAC, then your acclimation period is short to none.  If not, it will take time for you to find in your collection of goodies to work with the Nagra.  It is a demanding piece of gear, requires first rate accessories.  From time to time, I try different conditioners, switches, wall outlets, even risers to see if the Nagra notices.  In all cases, I think (I THINK) they made a change to what the Nagra saw in the signal.  The most noticeable were the AC cables.  
two weeks is really a suggestion of time.  If you can spend 4-6 hours a day on it, maybe a week of experimentation is enough.

With the Nagra, I often use cheaper headphones with it to hear how folks on the web maybe hearing from my recordings.  I use Nagra recorders for live events.  I only use top headphones with my Cary tubes amps.  I have a bunch of solid state amps from Headroom, Sennheiser, Grace, Benchmark, Music Fidelity and Peachtree I go to sporadically.

These days, the Hugo has my attention.  My son has also taken over the sound room.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #10,136 of 15,694

You're welcome.

If you buy everything you saw at the dealer that were used with the Nagra HD DAC, then your acclimation period is short to none.  If not, it will take time for you to find in your collection of goodies to work with the Nagra.  It is a demanding piece of gear, requires first rate accessories.  From time to time, I try different conditioners, switches, wall outlets, even risers to see if the Nagra notices.  In all cases, I think (I THINK) they made a change to what the Nagra saw in the signal.  The most noticeable were the AC cables.  
two weeks is really a suggestion of time.  If you can spend 4-6 hours a day on it, maybe a week of experimentation is enough.

With the Nagra, I often use cheaper headphones with it to hear how folks on the web maybe hearing from my recordings.  I use Nagra recorders for live events.  I only use top headphones with my Cary tubes amps.  I have a bunch of solid state amps from Headroom, Sennheiser, Grace, Benchmark, Music Fidelity and Peachtree I go to sporadically.

These days, the Hugo has my attention.  My son has also taken over the sound room.

I also have now a HUGO that I use as my Go-To DAC/AMP but also as my Desktop DAC with my EC445 tube AMP.

I am therefore looking for a Desktop DAC that will be provide a real sound quality Upgrade, but so far... I have not been convinced by any desktop DAC as being really better than the HUGO.    Yes, the HUGO is that good ! 
eek.gif

Right now, in my system, I am testing the new ARM DP-777 SE DAC, and again...so far I do not notice any major improvement over the HUGO (but the ARM still need break-in, so wait....). 

So...will I need to go as far as DAC like the NAGRA HD DAC to get enough SQ gap with the HUGO to justify the purchase ?    
biggrin.gif

--> How much better than the HUGO is the NAGRA ?

? -->  

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #10,137 of 15,694

--> How much better than the HUGO is the NAGRA ?

? -->  

With certain options, the Nagra HD DAC + BHSE can be twelve times more money than one Hugo.  It DOES NOT sound 12X better for any type of music you may play with it.  I can say that for certain.  It is clearly better.  You have to experience it yourself.  It is like driving a Porsche or riding in a Rolls.  Is it three, four or five times better than riding in a Toyota?  I assure you that you will never forgot that ride or drive of a Rolls.  With the TOL headphones, you can make use of the Nagra.  You do need some really expensive speakers to make good use of the Nagra.  Since you appears to be a headphone mainly person, that is not an issue.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #10,138 of 15,694
You're welcome.

With the Hugo , you *know* the difference it makes, you don't think.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #10,139 of 15,694
Apr 4, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #10,140 of 15,694
With certain options, the Nagra HD DAC + BHSE can be twelve times more money than one Hugo.  It DOES NOT sound 12X better for any type of music you may play with it.  I can say that for certain.  It is clearly better.  You have to experience it yourself.  It is like driving a Porsche or riding in a Rolls.  Is it three, four or five times better than riding in a Toyota?  I assure you that you will never forgot that ride or drive of a Rolls.  With the TOL headphones, you can make use of the Nagra.  You do need some really expensive speakers to make good use of the Nagra.  Since you appears to be a headphone mainly person, that is not an issue.

This may be sacrilegious to Head-fi but the HD DAC deserves to be heard in a TOTL big rig with full range speakers. It feels like musicians are in the same room with you.
This I have never gotten in any headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back