Chord Hugo
Feb 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #9,781 of 15,694
That rounder sound on the hd800s is not double amping signal distortion, it's called driving the 800s to there potential. That has always been an issue with the 800s. Amping has nothing to do with loudness, more to do with fullness and impedance/power provided to the drivers. The that a accurate feel comes from under driving causing exaggerated treble. If that's what you like good for you but I will go rca out to my v200 or Zana or even my old xcan amp over the little portable one inside the Hugo on most of my headphone to get the full potential of the Hugo dac.

«Driving the 800s to their potential», «fullness», «impedance/power...» (?), «underdriving» are no technical terms which would explain how an extra amplification stage could «improve» the signal or the driving capability. They just show your sonic preference – which I share to some degree, that's why I have done the modification on the HD 800.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #9,783 of 15,694
  horses for courses - as mentioned already, nobody knows what the Hugo DAC section actually sounds like….

From what I read in this forum, what we hear is exactly what Hugo DAC sounds like. As I understand it, Hugo DAC and Amp is one of the same.

Read Rob's posts where he, like a broken record, explained it multiple time.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #9,784 of 15,694

From what I read in this forum, what we hear is exactly what Hugo DAC sounds like. As I understand it, Hugo DAC and Amp is one of the same.

Yes, exactly – minus possible dynamic losses due to «undersized» power supply. But I don't believe they make so much of a real sound-quality difference in the sense of signal accuracy and high fidelity in comparison to double amplification, which introduces a whole new spectrum of harmonic distortion and signal rounding. And I don't hear them.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #9,785 of 15,694

Yes, exactly – minus possible dynamic losses due to «undersized» power supply. But I don't believe they make so much of a real sound-quality difference in the sense of signal accuracy and high fidelity in comparison to double amplification, which introduces a whole new spectrum of harmonic distortion and signal rounding. And I don't hear them.

Well, the quality of the amp would make a difference. Of course our portable Hugo would not deliver everything a desktop unit would but that's the trade of for its portability, which most people buy Hugo for. For an amp, at the same price point, I can't find anything I greatly prefer over my Hugo. I'm not talking sound signature here because that is preference. I've listen to Mytek Manhattan and found it only slightly fuller than Hugo, just slightly at 3x the price. I've also auditioned Resonessense Lab Mirus DAC driving V281 which sounds much better than Hugo, but these are 4 times pricier than Hugo. So comparing apple to apple, I think Hugo is the best at this price point at delivering the best sound quality.

When you say "undersized" power supply=dynamic loss, how are you measuring and with what are you measuring it with to come to this conclusion?

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #9,786 of 15,694
This is very very interesting. As i understand, hugo cannot be used as a DAC, but only as a total solution for dac and amp. Seems like a much more elegant solution, and a more interesting approach. I am really rooting for the device. I think that no matter what, it is up to date the best portable device ever made. 

This leaves me with a question. I remember than upon testing with both ie800 and ultrasone dj one pro i never got over two shades of a color. is it okay and do most people also use it for iems? i only very very brief tested it with ie800, and could not hear any hiss, but it was very fast, because i was testing it with headphones more than iems.
Also, about the batterry, which is one of the very few reasons for me not buying yet. i understand why and how hugo uses the battery as a very high capacity capacitor when used while plugged in. i am wondering how fast does the batterry die because of this. i know not that much about batterries, but i know that they loose the capacity to hold electricity if you use while charging. I am merely asking, to know how often i will need to change the batterry in it. I think that i will be using it for about 8-9 hours a day, about half portable, and half plugged in. I am also asking if anyone ever got in this period, from when it was launched to totally damage the batterry, or it is still holding on?
These are merely curiosities, and i am sorry if i am bothering anyone with my questions.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #9,787 of 15,694
  Well, the quality of the amp would make a difference. Of course our portable Hugo would not deliver everything a desktop unit would but that's the trade of for its portability, which most people buy Hugo for. For an amp, at the same price point, I can't find anything I greatly prefer over my Hugo. I'm not talking sound signature here because that is preference. I've listen to Mytek Manhattan and found it only slightly fuller than Hugo, just slightly at 3x the price. I've also auditioned Resonessense Lab Mirus DAC driving V281 which sounds much better than Hugo, but these are 4 times pricier than Hugo. So comparing apple to apple, I think Hugo is the best at this price point at delivering the best sound quality.

When you say "undersized" power supply=dynamic loss, how are you measuring and with what are you measuring it with to come to this conclusion?

The quality of the amp would define the degradation of the signal – in the best case it is minor and barely audible. On the other hand I haven't heard an amp which didn't color the sound so far. Expensive amps made no exception, after all some of them sounded «better» (let's say clearer) while altering the sound to a similar degree.
I really don't know if the impact of a power supply to the sound can be measured. Doubt it. It's speculation anyway, but I do believe that they can have an impact. Which has to be taken into consideration when talking about double amping.

This is very very interesting. As i understand, hugo cannot be used as a DAC, but only as a total solution for dac and amp. Seems like a much more elegant solution, and a more interesting approach. I am really rooting for the device. I think that no matter what, it is up to date the best portable device ever made. 

This leaves me with a question. I remember than upon testing with both ie800 and ultrasone dj one pro i never got over two shades of a color. is it okay and do most people also use it for iems? i only very very brief tested it with ie800, and could not hear any hiss, but it was very fast, because i was testing it with headphones more than iems.
Also, about the battery, which is one of the very few reasons for me not buying yet. i understand why and how hugo uses the battery as a very high capacity capacitor when used while plugged in. i am wondering how fast does the batterry die because of this. i know not that much about batterries, but i know that they loose the capacity to hold electricity if you use while charging. I am merely asking, to know how often i will need to change the batterry in it. I think that i will be using it for about 8-9 hours a day, about half portable, and half plugged in. I am also asking if anyone ever got in this period, from when it was launched to totally damage the batterry, or it is still holding on?
These are merely curiosities, and i am sorry if i am bothering anyone with my questions.

I also use IEMs with the Hugo (IE 800, SE535, SE846), although not on the go. They sound phenomenal, and there's no hiss, no noise at all, not even with the Shure SE846 with its high sensitivity.
I can't speak for the battery life. If you're lucky Rob Watts will chime in to answer this.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #9,788 of 15,694
Hey folks! :)

I am looking at a new dac and I am a bit in doubt between the Chord Hugo and the Audio GD Master 7.
Portabillity is absolutely not important at all, just the sound quality.

Do you think the Chord Hugo is better than the Audio GD Master 7, for at home with a full-sized headphone amp?

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #9,789 of 15,694

I am looking at a new dac and I am a bit in doubt between the Chord Hugo and the Audio GD Master 7.

Do you think the Chord Hugo is better than the Audio GD Master 7, for at home with a full-sized headphone amp?

Why consider a portable then, maybe this is a TT comparison to master 7.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #9,790 of 15,694

hi m8
In April chord are bringing out the 2qute which is just a desktop dac, which is the Hugo without the headphone amp and batteries,it will only cost £999 saving you £400, and sounds exactly the same as hugo, it also has better inputs for cables at the back, so you can use what cables you like with no problems.also there is a new dac out that you might want 2 hear called the Hegel hd 12.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #9,791 of 15,694
Why consider a portable then, maybe this is a TT comparison to master 7.

TT comparison? What do you mean? 
confused.gif

Anyway, I have been looking around like crazy, and saw somebody say that the Chord Hugo was even better than the Master 7. I just wanted to know if more people share that opinion. 
smile.gif

hi m8
In April chord are bringing out the 2qute which is just a desktop dac, which is the Hugo without the headphone amp and batteries,it will only cost £999 saving you £400, and sounds exactly the same as hugo, it also has better inputs for cables at the back, so you can use what cables you like with no problems.also there is a new dac out that you might want 2 hear called the Hegel hd 12.

2qute? Haha what is up with these names? 
biggrin.gif
 Schiit also has devices with fun names like that!
But thanks for the advice! That really is valuable! And I will also look into that Hegel HD 12.
I'm also looking at a Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 MK II and a visitor here just mentioned the Metric Halo ULN-8 studio dac. 

I got enough research to do again, I see! 
o2smile.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #9,792 of 15,694
Chord has several options one of them being the desktop version of hugo and it's called chord hugo TT. Master seven is a beast of a desktop, check out that power supply, wow. It just seems a tough comparison, however legitimate question between a portable and desktop.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #9,793 of 15,694
Chord has several options one of them being the desktop version of hugo and it's called chord hugo TT. Master seven is a beast of a desktop, check out that power supply, wow. It just seems a tough comparison, however legitimate question between a portable and desktop.

Wow, but I can see why they call it the TT: the price is in the same range of that Audi! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #9,795 of 15,694
So is the Hugo TT balanced only for line out, or can the balanced sockets be used to properly drive headphones as well?

Outputs

- 1x3.5mm headphone jack
- 2x6.35mm (1/4-inch) headphone jack
- 1x (pair) stereo RCA phono output
- Fully balanced via XLR connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back