Chord Hugo
Jul 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #6,542 of 15,694

What is the best bang for buck USB 3.0 Pci Express card you can get and power supply?

Do you think this offers good value for money?

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/audio-grade-usb-30-pcie-card.html

I own all three of the most popular audiophile USB cards (PPA version 1, SOtM, JCAT).  Version 2 of PPA is even better value than version 1 (99% of performance for 80% of cost).  JCAT is best card, but you pay for it.

P.S.  Need to sell the other two one of these days.  :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #6,543 of 15,694
Hello ted B. I have on your forums and others endless debates as to what is so called best. Briefly why do you feel the Jcat is better ? . Your somebody I trust in this. .
Al

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6,544 of 15,694
Well I just purchase this one, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151320858130&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160

The capacitors look high enough end to me, should be here in around two weeks, will keep you posted on my impressions.

I think they are making out like a bandits with their markups.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #6,545 of 15,694
What is the best bang for buck USB 3.0 Pci Express card you can get and power supply?

Do you think this offers good value for money?

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/audio-grade-usb-30-pcie-card.html

That's the one i would recommend. Cards by SOtM and JCAT are a lot more expensive.

Power supplies: seasonic is good. But read the test for the ripple figures. If you want to go linear consider PPA and HD-PLEX. And you should really consider dropping the Z97 mobo in favour of a B85 mobo. Far less busy and noisy.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #6,547 of 15,694
That's the one i would recommend. Cards by SOtM and JCAT are a lot more expensive.

Power supplies: seasonic is good. But read the test for the ripple figures. If you want to go linear consider PPA and HD-PLEX. And you should really consider dropping the Z97 mobo in favour of a B85 mobo. Far less busy and noisy.

Hi Pepsi,

For your card in post 6546, how to supply 5V battery DC?

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #6,550 of 15,694
Either through some DC ATX converter from HD-Plex or Pico or you diy your way to hi-fi heaven. If you specifically want batteries, try Anker. Some niche manufacturers like Sonore, Teddy Pardo and SOtM make dedicated linear supplies for Audio.

The card supplier stated that Battery PSU > Linear PSU > ATX PSU.  Hence the request.

Also the Molex connector is a headache for the Anker as well.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #6,551 of 15,694
I using the following machine:

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/CAPS-v3-micro-Zuma-CAPS3-micro-Zuma.htm

The thing is barely larger than my ipad and like all caps servers, completely silent.  I've got a haswell i7 with 250g ssd and 16G ram.  I have all three of the USB cards mentioned which I am testing through as well.  JCAT seems to have issues with the motherboard I have so be careful as I can't even get past boot.  However I highly recommend smallgreencomputer (the owner is also one of founders of vortexbox).  ==

That machine should be ready for most tasks.  In fact I am basically burning in my system as I got a round of new cables and equipment.   In any case, I am currently playing three instances of jriver all running the isotek burn in tracks to all three of my dacs (hugo, lampizator l5, PS Audio DS) which are in turn driving all the amps.  So all my cables including headphones, interconnects etc are all getting burned in at same time.  In fact, I am intentionally using the outputs on some of amps to help burn in more wires.  Pretty sick that the machine can do all these instances of jriver and run all three of these dacs.

That machine is using the HD-PLEX case that I chose specifically because of the relatively cheap and good LPS that was coming out for it.  I have LPS installed now powering the machine.  I have same problem as earlier poster.  The HD-PLEX LPS outputs both 19VDC and 12VDC. The 19VDC is being used to power the machine.  I would love to get the 12VDC into 5V so I could power the USB cards or the hard drive.  I was looking at these AC adapters that terminate to molex.  However a bunch look badly made which defeats the purpose of getting a LPS.  Anyone know a decent one?  Or any solutions getting my 12VDC to 4 pin molex.  I know there are cables that will do it but I think they essentially disable the 5V which is not what I want.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #6,555 of 15,694
You only need the camera adaptor.
It's lighting to femal USB. And you use the USB cable you have with it.
Nothing else besides the app. I use onkyo hf
It works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back