Chord Hugo
Jul 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #6,481 of 15,694
  I just read PP's page, and I strongly recommend get a regular old USB cable.  
redface.gif

What did you think of his cables when you heard them?

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #6,482 of 15,694
I don't know for sure, but hugo doesn't need the power as it has its own battery. However usb standards need power for initial sync. So my guess is that you need to have power leg in for initial plug in and can take it out afterwards (assuming your usb cable can do that)

You cannot take it out afterwards.  Both Rob (and my reporting of my other Rob chats) stated that you can't fool it.  Once it no longer senses a current the port receiver shuts down.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #6,483 of 15,694
You cannot take it out afterwards.  Both Rob (and my reporting of my other Rob chats) stated that you can't fool it.  Once it no longer senses a current the port receiver shuts down.

That's too bad. As for hugo not needing power and therefore a split cable wouldn't help, the argument (not saying I agree) is while the hugo doesn't need the usb power but usb power is still flowing and therefore potentially corrupting data and hence a split cable be do better job preventing this.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #6,484 of 15,694
Anybody experienced instability using the SD USB + Windows 7 default driver + Foobar (wasapi push or event). I used this combi and encountered "unrecoverable errors" occasionally.

Now using the HD USB and Chord's driver and so far it has been stable for the past hour.

As I'm listening to mostly cd-ripped ALAC's, so thought that there was no purpose using the HD over the SD USB.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #6,485 of 15,694
Rob said both hd and sd are in same quality.
I believe hd is async usb not sure if sd is the same.
To my ears, the hd sounded a bit better even for redbook. I cannot categorically say that i can detect in a blind test.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #6,486 of 15,694
Anybody experienced instability using the SD USB + Windows 7 default driver + Foobar (wasapi push or event). I used this combi and encountered "unrecoverable errors" occasionally.

Now using the HD USB and Chord's driver and so far it has been stable for the past hour.

As I'm listening to mostly cd-ripped ALAC's, so thought that there was no purpose using the HD over the SD USB.

In my foobar experiences I get "unrecoverable errors" mostly when there were high intensity if I/O tasks running in the background via USB. e.g. loading files from PC to my SD cards, importing photos to Lightroom, scheduled back up tasks to my external usb hdd). It also happens more when I am playing files from HDD connected via USB than internal SATA drives or from my qnap NAS.

Edit: btw this isn't really Hugo specific as I seem to get more playback error via the audio-gd VIA32 usb driver. Probably more to do with my usb controller.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #6,488 of 15,694
Wow nice list of products!

I bunch I don't even recognize.  I wish I could read Chinese at more than an elementary school level.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #6,490 of 15,694

maybe I have an earlier version of the Hugo as my DIY USB cable only has D+, D- and GND. I am still able to use my Hugo with CCK connected to my ITouch via HD USB port.

just sharing my setup.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #6,491 of 15,694
I tried this tweak with my ipod touch/ckk http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/usb-dac-power-tweak
And the Hugo could not detect usb input so my unit needs 5v to wake up

Mine is 20XXX serial #

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #6,492 of 15,694
Wow that was fast. Getting sample cable from PPA that is Lighting to Micro USB! Hopefully work with ipod/pad/phone without any other adapters/cables needed. I think someone was asking for that earlier.

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #6,494 of 15,694
Wow that was fast. Getting sample cable from PPA that is Lighting to Micro USB! Hopefully work with ipod/pad/phone without any other adapters/cables needed. I think someone was asking for that earlier.

I hope that it has been certified by Apple and not just had a lighting connector attached to one end. Be very easy for Apple to stop that lightning from working if they haven't authorised it. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back