Chord Hugo
Jul 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #6,301 of 15,694
Originally Posted by junkjunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Yes. And I don't think I'm the only one who reported stock not going above 24/96.... (btw this is the stock white short optical toslink to 3.5mm cable pairing with AK240)

if you are using the mini toslink out of a mac, the mac is limited to 24/96 from its optical output

AK240.... it's the cable, not the source. :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #6,303 of 15,694
Re the sound, I moved from Mac Mini USB to optical because of issues with the bit rate not being set correctly on the Hugo. I put this down to either the OS or bitperfect as it works fine on the Ipad. I haven't done any comparisons between USB & Optical because I'm happy with the sound. My collection is 99% Red Book...

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #6,304 of 15,694
  The cable connection issue seems to me the only problem with the Hugo. But it definitely is a problem.  But so far I am happy with the stock cables, I'm content to just enjoy the music for a while at least.  So much so that my desktop rig has been repurposed/sold off

While the micro-B usb jack is somewhat annoying, it's a very minor issue using the AQ adapter. My Hugo just sits there on a flat surface with the adapter and usb cable in place.
And the RCA jacks are fine too, with ample room for Stealth ICs.
So it's no big deal.
 I totally forget about it when I'm listening to the exquisite sense of flow and continuity in the music from the Hugo.
The Hugo is just doggone great imho.
(I picked up the Beatles USB stick, and it is very sweet sounding via the Hugo. Not DSD-sound, but really nice anyway. I just binged on some Beatles yesterday...)

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #6,305 of 15,694
Hugo_to_AK240.jpg

AK240_to_Hugo_2_2mm.jpeg

I am using that cable and satisfied with it.

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6,306 of 15,694
I'm helping Auralic beta test and demo/eval the new Aries streaming bridge, and it's associated Lightning iPad app.  The longest stock toslink that came with my Hugo (May 1 shipment; revised case) sends DoP DSD and up to 24/192, as does Aries AES (to my Mytek) and SPDIF coax (also to Hugo).  USB, of course, too (384k and DSD128). 

Net/net, toslink cables are very finnicky.  I reported to Wang that I thought toslink was an issue with the Aries at first, but it ended up being my glass (read: better quality) toslink cable.  I am not a big toslink guy so this cable was never really tested heavily, anyway.  And the SPDIF and AES from the Aries are transformer isolated anyway.

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #6,308 of 15,694
Very good question.
Can someone link the player
Al

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #6,309 of 15,694
Here it is, they have 2 versions:

http://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/product/auralic-aries/?gclid=CIe5if_-uL8CFSjpwgodGWkAQg
http://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/product/auralic-aries_le/?gclid=COrZ1df-uL8CFQPnwgodHj4Avg

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #6,313 of 15,694
someone who manudatures speakers and cables told me that all cables sound alike especially digital cables and a big blind test was done and no one was able to distinguish cheap from ultra expensive cables

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #6,315 of 15,694
let's stay on topic. Lol

i did not say that but a person who works for a cable company and speakers told me this, I don't know  if his points are valid or not i am just saying what he told me.

and to be honest i have a custom lightening cable from a known company here that costs 90 USD and I did not hear any difference from the regular apple lightning cable 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back