Chord Hugo
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #5,116 of 15,694
  I happen to have Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' on both CD and DSD. So I thought I would compare both on Hugo via USB with JRiver.

I listened to 3 tracks, 1 min into each, back to back, several times over.

1. Shine on you crazy diamond (part 1)

Not much difference between tracks, couldn't say I preferred one against the other.

Score 0 - 0

2. Welcome to the machine.

Much more substantial difference - CD had much better sound stage depth. The machine noises at the beginning were more tangible and real, with better separation and focus.

Score 1 - 0 to CD.

3. Have a cigar.

Big difference, the DSD sounded slow like the tempo was affected. Checked the track time length, the CD is actually 1 second longer! Not surprised about this, perception of tempo can change markedly depending upon distortions.
CD was much more lively, with the rhythms much easier to follow. Track was more emotional and musical with CD.

Score 2 - 0 to CD.

Now these comments only apply to Hugo, if you used a different DAC you would get different results. Also it's only my personal opinion based on one recording.

But it mirrors the loss in transparency I hear when comparing DSD to DXD using the 2L test tracks. 

Rob

Rob... should I take it that you're better off sticking with the format it was originally released in... if it was recorded in Red-Book stick to Red-Book & vice-versa DSD?

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #5,117 of 15,694
Yes, battery life would be longer as it will not be charging/discharging. I can't hear any difference with it plugged in. Also I am lazy, just like to get up in the morning and its ready to go! Power dissipation is well below 2W, so it's pretty green left on.

Rob 

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #5,118 of 15,694

Rob... should I take it that your better off sticking with the format it was originally released in... if it was recorded in Red-Book stick to Red-Book & vice-versa DSD?

Yes of course, best to stick to the format the master tape was on. But Floyd would be on analogue tapes, so we have a legitimate choice, assuming the DSD and the CD comes directly from the analogue master tape. I have heard Norah Jones on DSD and it sounded dreadful - I think they just converted CD to DSD, which is just plain dumb. This is always the problem with recordings, you do not know what you are getting! 

Rob

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #5,119 of 15,694
  Yes, battery life would be longer as it will not be charging/discharging. I can't hear any difference with it plugged in. Also I am lazy, just like to get up in the morning and its ready to go! Power dissipation is well below 2W, so it's pretty green left on.

Rob 

Looks like I'll be packing another charger in my work bag then!

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #5,122 of 15,694
"Nothing less than a landmark product"

I think they liked it 
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #5,123 of 15,694
Rob was the sacd a DSF rip of the sacd ? Or a ISO of the rip ??
I use the Hugo daily it last so many days on just one chagprge. I use it with my iPhone 5 . The level of clarity and realism is just fantastic even with CIEM,s.

Great product thanks for making it for us.

Al

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #5,124 of 15,694
When can I return your Krell amp Al?
-Craig

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #5,127 of 15,694
I have one of those I'll try it later. But I doubt it. This hugo is just designed to be at it's best in the worst conditions. It's a really great device.
Rob thanks for replying.
I'll using it again shortly
Al

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #5,128 of 15,694
heres my first impressions, using TH900

for a sensitive headphone like the TH900, i was worried about hiss, thankfully there is none that i can detect...phew.

audio quality is very clean, i find it reminds me of the Yulong DA8, smooth and clean soooo effortlessly.

usb implementation is top notch, i'm stressing it as much as i can, like playing games, movies, multiple audio tracks at the same time, seems to hold up nicely. JRiver doesn't like direct sound for some reason, pop sounds all over the place, which is strange because windows media player doesn't experience this problem, so Jriver is staying on ASIO.

crossfeed is fantastic, i put it on maximum right away to see if i could notice the difference, it definitely makes a noticeable difference, impressive feature on the tracks i tested it with.

like i said earlier, my only problem with it so far are the bent RCA outputs, luckily for me my audioquest RCA cable fits, so i'm not worried.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #5,129 of 15,694
heres my first impressions, using TH900

for a sensitive headphone like the TH900, i was worried about hiss, thankfully there is none that i can detect...phew.

audio quality is very clean, i find it reminds me of the Yulong DA8, smooth and clean soooo effortlessly.

usb implementation is top notch, i'm stressing it as much as i can, like playing games, movies, multiple audio tracks at the same time, seems to hold up nicely. JRiver doesn't like direct sound for some reason, pop sounds all over the place, which is strange because windows media player doesn't experience this problem, so Jriver is staying on ASIO.

crossfeed is fantastic, i put it on maximum right away to see if i could notice the difference, it definitely makes a noticeable difference, impressive feature on the tracks i tested it with.

like i said earlier, my only problem with it so far are the bent RCA outputs, luckily for me my audioquest RCA cable fits, so i'm not worried.

If our most sensitive iem/ciem aren't picking up any hiss, no full size cans would. Th900 is a picky beast but it isn't the hiss detector like the tg334 or jh13.

Guys, would adding iFi iUSB power in between computer and Hugo add any SQ improvement? Thanks

I'm with Al on this and think it is hard to improve further. I think Hugo's usb implementation has to be one of the best "stock" solution, or simply one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back