Chord Hugo
May 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,601 of 15,694
Not to add to confusion but has anyone tried a hibino hdp r10
In comparison to the Hugo or ak240
As I own the hibino and sold my am 120
CIEMS or cans as a reference please
Also what kind of files are we playing to compare
Al

Al I have not compared it to your unit but when you want to we can get together to do that.I been using all types of files 24-88, 24-96 ,24-192 16-44 24-48 and DSD files. Once my brother  loads that drive you can come over I will have 8TB to stream of dsd and hi resolution files to work with the Hugo so bring  it over and use it as a server to compare as well. I will take care of that drive when I get back from Newport Beach.

May 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #3,602 of 15,694
You should use IEM's that offer high resolution. I once read that with the 1plus2, Hugo sounds better than AK240... Even TOTL IEM's dont offer the same amount of resolution or the way the present it. I don't own Hugo nor AK240 but I have a Hugo on order :)....

I for myself can't imagine how the AK240 is able to beat the Hugo sq-wise because you rarely see a product, especially in Hifi (besides of an iPod), that earns so much praise as the Hugo does.

May 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3,604 of 15,694
You should use IEM's that offer high resolution. I once read that with the 1plus2, Hugo sounds better than AK240... Even TOTL IEM's dont offer the same amount of resolution or the way the present it. I don't own Hugo nor AK240 but I have a Hugo on order :)....

I for myself can't imagine how the AK240 is able to beat the Hugo sq-wise because you rarely see a product, especially in Hifi (besides of an iPod), that earns so much praise as the Hugo does.

Hugo and AK240 are different gadgets, we should be comparing Hugo with other DAC/Amp, not AK240.

Comparing AK240+Hugo and other DAP+Hugo combination does make sense though.

May 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,605 of 15,694
Hugo and AK240 are different gadgets, we should be comparing Hugo with other DAC/Amp, not AK240.

Comparing AK240+Hugo and other DAP+Hugo combination does make sense though.

you do need a source if your using the Hugo as a dac and the ak240 is a source no different that anything else your feeding the music to the Hugo with. If my source was a ipod what is the difference. I only referenced the ak240 as a source in context with the Hugo. People here been using sourced like iphone.ipad , pc and mac and well ak240 is an android source as well and many on this thread are using it for their source in the house because it is better than a USB source. Confused why your saying the ak240 is not a valid source? It the same as using any other source.
confused_face_2.gif

May 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #3,606 of 15,694
you do need a source if your using the Hugo as a dac and the ak240 is a source no different that anything else your feeding the music to the Hugo with. If my source was a ipod what is the difference. I only referenced the ak240 as a source in context with the Hugo. People here been using sourced like iphone.ipad , pc and mac and well ak240 is an android source as well and many on this thread are using it for their source in the house because it is better than a USB source. Confused why your saying the ak240 is not a valid source? It the same as using any other source.:confused_face_2:

Precisely, AK240 is a source when combined with Hugo. Hugo isn't. Comparing Hugo+AK240 and ipod+Hugo makes sense, comparing ipod and Hugo is like comparing orange and ehmm, apple.

May 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3,608 of 15,694
To charge the Hugo I was thinking about splicing this one:
http://www.goalzero.com/p/155/sherpa-laptop-charging-kit

with this one:
http://www.goalzero.com/p/33/6mm-output-female-cigarette-adapter

As the laptop charging kit plug will only fit the 19V laptop output on the Sherpa.
A plug like the one on the cigarette adapter with a female plug that would fit the laptop kit cable would be even better, so you could use the laptop kit as intended as well.
The laptop kit includes a 5.5mm (outer diameter) 2.1mm (inner diameter) plug that should fit in the Hugo.

The Sherpa 100 can deliver 12V and up to 10A, and I guess that the Hugo will get the exact power that it is asking for, and I guess that it will charge quicker than from the wall outlet.

Received my Sherpa 100 and the universal inverter yesterday. While the built quality is good and work as advertised, they are much bigger than I thought and it would be really clumsy to be used as a portable charger for travellers.

May 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,609 of 15,694
  you do need a source if your using the Hugo as a dac and the ak240 is a source no different that anything else your feeding the music to the Hugo with. If my source was a ipod what is the difference. I only referenced the ak240 as a source in context with the Hugo. People here been using sourced like iphone.ipad , pc and mac and well ak240 is an android source as well and many on this thread are using it for their source in the house because it is better than a USB source. Confused why your saying the ak240 is not a valid source? It the same as using any other source.
confused_face_2.gif

Of course its a source.. I know what you mean but what a lot of people (myself too) don't get, is to use an ak240 strictly as a source and bypassing its double-dac's, some prefer that. It's kind of overkill I think. I would rather buy the new macbook pro retina 13 and use it as a source. I am considering to buy a macbook air 11, to use it strictly with the Hugo... To me it just looks so "funny" if someone connects an ak240 to the hugo and then posts a picture of his rig. I am not jealous but I just don't get it... :D

May 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,610 of 15,694
Question what does Hugo claim there resolution is with apple products. ?
As apple limits all digital audio to 16/88.2 max. I am intersted in there statement to this.
Also regarding transports the ak 240 or most other daps used as transport can do whatever the optical or coaxial output is rated at. This in theory should greatly improve sound compared to apple devices.
Is there any info on this. ?

May 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,611 of 15,694
Has anybody tried the ap1/pp with the Hugo
And what results ?
Al

AP1 and AP2 are technically identical. AP1 has more features implemented, but performance is the same. 

Very good read. And thanks for your effort trying to ruin me! 
wink.gif

I guess that it would make a lot of sense using the Hugo with computers / laptops but how will it be connected to an iDevice and the camera connection adapter? Those devices are not as noisy as computers / laptops?

My primary on the go sources will be iDevices but it would be good to have the computer / laptop option as well. But I won't be upgrading if iDevices doesn't benefit from the AP1/PP or the AP2/PP.

I was thinking about the 384kHz version (supporting DSD128) as well, as the Hugo should be able to process it through the coaxial input. Even though it has not been tested by Chord, they have said that they have simulated it and said that it should work.

See below too. But you can have the AP2 work with an iDevice, you just need to run it through a USB hub for power first. This reduces portability some, but the whole AP2/PP package does as well. 

... They both help almost any DAC it connect them too...
But our hearing does adjust to sound with out the USB converters.
If you play the music with out them and then connect them the change is very apparent. However if you just at the music and stop thinking
About every detail it seems fine. 

I find this very true, not only in this instance, but with lots of audiophile gear. Sure, better can be had, but "inferior" is still immensely enjoyable when you're not A'Bing it. The difference is small, it shouldn't be something you are consciously distracted by.

So, I leave the AP2 at home, listen without at work, and like I said, you don't need AP2 to get stellar performance from the Hugo. But I do look forward to getting home and getting the AP2 on it. It's just more engaging, fun, and more realistic sounding. This insight is perhaps only gained in retrospect of listening experiences without A/B.

May 28, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,612 of 15,694
Question what does Hugo claim there resolution is with apple products. ?
As apple limits all digital audio to 16/88.2 max. I am intersted in there statement to this.
Also regarding transports the ak 240 or most other daps used as transport can do whatever the optical or coaxial output is rated at. This in theory should greatly improve sound compared to apple devices.
Is there any info on this. ?

IOS 8 is supposed to support high res audio above 16bit and 48khz. The standard of IOS 7 is 16/48. You are able to listen to 24/48 with an iPod but there is some internal conversion to 16/48 that degrades the sound quality.
Of course, you can always use the Lightning to USB adapter and apps like ampliflac or onkyo hf player. With them you will be able to listen to almost everything with the Hugo...

May 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,613 of 15,694
Yea someone else it saying it. Hahaha. It is a little known secret that most do not talk about. It's why I do not use apple devices to play my music. We spend all this extra money and get screwed in the end anyway. My other question is has anyone tried the ap1/PP with the Hugo to hear if any improvement is heard.
Also I do agree if we do not. A/B the improvements are not as obvious hahaha I hear that !!!

How about a comparison of the cypherlabs therom to the Hugo any one ????
Al

May 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3,614 of 15,694
I dont have an AK240 - or an iPhoneAnything - but I really think some of us are missing the point here. How many DAPs would scale when used as a DAC in an  expensive system ? Systems that normally include DACs from MBL, Esoteric or EMM Labs, for example ? How about head-to-head with the Auralic Vega if you want something closer in sticker terms ? 

I'm not suggesting that the Hugo's DAC is necessarily on the same level as any of the above - that only ruffles feathers - but I get a tad miffed when someone slides a pair of IEMs (regardless of how good they are) into the Hugo and announces that it sounds no better than their iDevice or the AK240. I sincerely hope that Chord will release a desktop version of the DAC in the Hugo with the appropriate connections (balanced and single-ended) and minus a headphone stage - price it in Vega territory or thereabouts and wait for the penny to drop. I know what Rob wrote re the headphone stage being a clear window into the DAC section, or words to that effect, but I'd love to hear this little marvel in a serious speaker rig. The others just dont have that appeal for me but its possible that I'm not completely up to speed on the capabilities of the AK240 or one of Vinnie's lab versions  :wink:

For those who see the iPhone as a 'premium product', fine - I enjoy my 4G Touch too and I love my Mac Mini - but if you had to rate their design priorities when they build each successive iteration, do you honestly believe that audio rates any higher than 4 or 5 ? Apple have an advantage in that they've been doing the whole portable audio thing for a long time and clearly they've learnt a thing or two along the way, but internally its a few strips of silicon wafer and some very smart programming. When they release an iDevice with the connection options of the Hugo, I'll sit up and take notice - until then, can we please hold off on the iPhone comparisons ? Two very different devices, both killer technology in their own right, but simply not the same beastie. Thanks in advance. 

May 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,615 of 15,694
There are moments that I wish the AK240 is really the ultimate as they claim to be for the asking price. Unfortunately, the thoughts of it not able to reach Hugo level made me lost interest in it all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back