Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jun 17, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,471 of 1,858
Switchcraft 3502RA for Hugo

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=1005

DOMADU7.jpg

Ranko Acoustics REP-400 (TRRS) for X5II

http://www.rankoaudio.com/Plugs/143.htm
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=38748213510
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ranko-Acoustics-REP-400-L-Type-Gold-Plated-3-5mm-TRRS-Stereo-Plug/321779756223
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/RANKO-REP-400-4poles-stereo-male-3-5MM-audio-plug-solder-right-angled-headphone-plug/32329399721.html

uz5Bo08.jpg

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,472 of 1,858
Aaaaaaargh...

I so have to get the cable that connects the ZX2 to the Hugo...

I've resisted - for 4 days, plugging these Laylas into the Hugo - I really shouldn't of :frowning2:

Damn, a great combination!

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,473 of 1,858

Yes, The X5 and X5ii adapters terminate in female RCA. It is possible to get short lengths of male to male RCA, but a combination of male to male straight adapter and male to female right angle will work well in a stack. I prefer the longer cable as I carry them separately.

I've not found a male to male right angle phono adapter.

Ok thanks for the info, as it confirms my lack of success with a m/m right angle phono adapter.

Does it exist in the UK?
biggrin.gif
right angle wmport to right angle usb and it would be great, but I've only ever seen them on taobao. Maybe OKGuy with some help from Chord can source us a batch locally
beerchug.gif

@seeteeyou thanks as usual for the cable links, but I am not sure the parts are going to help me personally
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,474 of 1,858
Aaaaaaargh...

I've resisted - for 4 days, plugging these Laylas into the Hugo - I really shouldn't of
frown.gif

Damn, a great combination!

I thought the 1Plus2 is it.
confused.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,475 of 1,858
I thought the 1Plus2 is it. :confused:
It was, but - onwards and upwards (I noticed the midrange lacking a little, and - could've tried the ref1 which fixes that, but - what put me off there was mention of driver flex when putting them in your ears, had a pair of AKG NC headphones that had driver flex when putting them on, and the driver in question failed within a week :frowning2:)

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,476 of 1,858
It was, but - onwards and upwards (I noticed the midrange lacking a little, and - could've tried the ref1 which fixes that, but - what put me off there was mention of driver flex when putting them in your ears, had a pair of AKG NC headphones that had driver flex when putting them on, and the driver in question failed within a week
frown.gif
)

So good luck with the Layla! – without parachute (SE846 up for sale).

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,477 of 1,858
  Interesting i have the AK100 with hugo and is much better than laptop. But wonder if AK240 as DAP is an overkill and probably use that money to get better cans or cables

Thanks for the explanation, so the sound differences in hugo is depending on the cables in order to get perfect clock and perfect voltage and not from the transport (AK100, AK240, PC, Android, etc) ?, i mean, if i use AK100 (799usd) or AK240 (2500usd) than the result will be the same with hugo (same cable). :D

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,478 of 1,858
Maybe 99% same :)

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,479 of 1,858
240 is overkill..it sounds great but so does my 120 Titan..when I use my 240 it is when i am on the go and when i use the Hugo it is with the 120 because it has greater capacity...i have only had the Hugo for a few days but so far it sounds great with whatever source i feed it

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #1,480 of 1,858
Hi all

I am a newby to this forum.  Current set up is Sennheiser HD800s fed from iTunes/Pure Music via Weiss DAC202.   All of which sounds lovely but the Weiss has been borrowed from my living room hi-fi and I want to put it back. 

I am considering the Chord Hugo to drive the HD800s instead of the Weiss when I am working at my desk.  There are other contenders: Sennheiser's own DAC/HPA and the Oppo HA-1 for example.  But the Hugo offers the added advantage of portability.

So my question is: does anyone have similar experience of these combinations and any advice to offer?  In particular, when I use the Hugo for portability will it also drive my travel headphones (BOSE QC15s)?  Not the best phones for SQ, I know, but perhaps an improved source will help them.

Thanks for all the great info on this site and look forward to being a member.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,481 of 1,858
  Hi all

I am a newby to this forum.  Current set up is Sennheiser HD800s fed from iTunes/Pure Music via Weiss DAC202.   All of which sounds lovely but the Weiss has been borrowed from my living room hi-fi and I want to put it back. 

I am considering the Chord Hugo to drive the HD800s instead of the Weiss when I am working at my desk.  There are other contenders: Sennheiser's own DAC/HPA and the Oppo HA-1 for example.  But the Hugo offers the added advantage of portability.

So my question is: does anyone have similar experience of these combinations and any advice to offer?  In particular, when I use the Hugo for portability will it also drive my travel headphones (BOSE QC15s)?  Not the best phones for SQ, I know, but perhaps an improved source will help them.

Hi gnomen, welcome to Head-fi.

Personally, I enjoy Sennheiser's own DAC/HPA the most (especially out of the balanced out) (the amp in that thing is great but personally the Hugo's dac demolishes the Sennheiser dac) out of the three: HDVA600/800, HA-1, and the Hugo. But the Hugo's portability is indeed a plus.

Using the Bose with the Hugo is pretty much a waste because the way noise-cancelers work is it has an amp inside it. So no matter how great the amp you're plugging in your NC headphones, it won't do too much. In other words, please don't use the Hugo with the Bose. Otherwise many of us here and Rob Watts will cry 
rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps.

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,482 of 1,858
  Hi all

Welcome to Head-Fi, gnomen!

I can't speak for the other options, just for the Hugo. The great thing about it is the fact that its DAC drives headphones directly, without the detour via a headphone amp. So it provides ultimate signal accuracy, the more so as its DAC is very capable, also very special thanks to Chord's FPGA design. The downside of the accruracy may be that a headphone with the sonic balance of the HD 800 may sound a bit bright and lean – and I would say that's how it sounds if you don't use counterbalancing electronics. Or do the damping mod, which not just addresses the sonic balance, but also the transient response – by reducing inner reflections.

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,483 of 1,858
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.  Sounds like a positive vote for the Hugo + HD800 combo.

@Jeff, I probably will try it with the Bose simply because I have to hear for myself. 
basshead.gif
   However, I have no doubt you are right and I promise not to 'fess up unless somehow it knocks me out and I want to start a controversy ...

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #1,484 of 1,858

John Franks & Rob Watts will be in attendance at the 'Kuala Lumpur International AV Show' from 3rd - 5th July (details below)... pop along and say Hello if you're in the area...
tongue_smile.gif

Show Information:-

KL International AV Show 2015
Venue: JW Marriott Hotel - Kuala Lumpur
Dates: 3 to 5 July 2015
Times: Friday, Saturday & Sunday : 10.00am to 7.30pm

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,485 of 1,858
  Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.  Sounds like a positive vote for the Hugo + HD800 combo.

@Jeff, I probably will try it with the Bose simply because I have to hear for myself. 
basshead.gif
   However, I have no doubt you are right and I promise not to 'fess up unless somehow it knocks me out and I want to start a controversy ...

The Weiss 202 is a nice dac. Last year I participated in a dac shootout and had the chance to listen to the Weiss and compare it with my own dac. Since December last year I also own a Hugo, which I mainly use in the office and on the road. I think you will be surprised of the SQ compared to the Weiss when you use it with the HD800. A few days before I had the Sure 846's I had to use the Hugo with some beats in-ears. To be honest, I was actually surprised how more musical these in-ears became. Now with the Sure's and the Hugo, it is a decent portable setup. I can really enjoy it without craving my normal setup. In my eyes you can't go wrong with the Hugo and HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back