Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,456 of 1,858
  I have tried SPDIF/Coax, Optical, and USB with my various transport and to my ears, the best is via USB using android smartphone and USB Audio Player Pro app (yes, I read Rob prefer the optical). The problem with the USB input is no galvanic isolation, but I think the Android Smartphone running low power battery does not face this problem unlike PC or Mac. Try it yourself, the app only cost USD10, might save you some money.

Actually optical does sound best but it takes time to appreciate as you dont get the brightness and the brain immediately thinks its losing data. But what you start to notice is more mids, tighter bass and and amazing resolution as timing improves significantly. But again it also depends on the source. I have also used PS audio transport via optical with great results. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,457 of 1,858
Actually optical does sound best but it takes time to appreciate as you dont get the brightness and the brain immediately thinks its losing data. But what you start to notice is more mids, tighter bass and and amazing resolution as timing improves significantly. But again it also depends on the source. I have also used PS audio transport via optical with great results. 

Agree dependent on the transport. I wonder what kind of transport have you use via usb. If it is mac or pc, then I won't be surprised if you found usb input lacking. My experience via optical using cd player or tweaked mac mini has been underwhelming compare to android smatphone via usb.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,458 of 1,858

Is the Chord not bit perfect meaning the signal is exactly the same whether you use optical, USB or coax?  How do the 1's and 0's have tighter bass?

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,459 of 1,858

Is the Chord not bit perfect meaning the signal is exactly the same whether you use optical, USB or coax?  How do the 1's and 0's have tighter bass?

Very good question but i hear this question every where i go. Let me clear up the confusion 1 and 0s are basically a interpretation of a voltage at a specific 44 milisecond (for CD).  That is converted to analog signal. To get accurate analog signal requires perfect clock  and perfect voltage setting which does not really exist in real world. So that means we have errors and to minimize errors we use better power supplies, chips, clocks, cables etc. Then there are external factors that introduce errors which have to be filtered out. If you take a class on digital and analog signal you will realize it is very complex and not just mere 1s and 0s as one would think.

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,460 of 1,858
Can also add that it's sounding rather superb at moment with X5 2nd gen :)

Can you please compare the X5 2nd gen's coaxial output to your DX90's? When people compare the original X5's coaxial to other DAPs', they usually say it's not the better one so I was wondering if the newer version is any better. I'm using a DX50 atm but I'm looking for a DAP upgrade, whether it be coaxial or optical. I heard DX90's is better than the original X5 and because I cannot get my hands on the new X5 yet, I want to ask.
Thank you.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #1,461 of 1,858
Can you please compare the X5 2nd gen's coaxial output to your DX90's? When people compare the original X5's coaxial to other DAPs', they usually say it's not the better one so I was wondering if the newer version is any better. I'm using a DX50 atm but I'm looking for a DAP upgrade, whether it be coaxial or optical. I heard DX90's is better than the original X5 and because I cannot get my hands on the new X5 yet, I want to ask.
Thank you.

I decided after previously testing x90 as a transport to Hugo never to use it again. Twice I nearly deafened myself as it stupidly needs volume maxed and then retains it for headphone output next time you use it. Fiios correctly, in my opinion, have a fixed coax output, independent of headphone output.

I listened dx90 against X5, and X5 against x5ii, no volume matching, just what seemed detailed and enjoyable. To my ears, X5 seemed better than DX90, X5 and X5ii equally superb.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #1,462 of 1,858
I decided after previously testing x90 as a transport to Hugo never to use it again. Twice I nearly deafened myself as it stupidly needs volume maxed and then retains it for headphone output next time you use it. Fiios correctly, in my opinion, have a fixed coax output, independent of headphone output.

I listened dx90 against X5, and X5 against x5ii, no volume matching, just what seemed detailed and enjoyable. To my ears, X5 seemed better than DX90, X5 and X5ii equally superb.

Thanks for the input. What I don't understand is, my DX50 has a separate coaxial output and it is fixed. I can have the volume at 0 (because I don't use it as a DAP anymore, just a source) and have full volume control with the Hugo just like Fiios. This is also the case with DX90s. When the coaxial is being used, the volume has no effect and the headphone output is disabled.
Anyways, it is interesting to hear that the new version of the X5 sounds about the same as the new one and that DX90 falls a bit behind. I'll keep that in mind when I go to audition DAPs next time. Even if the X5 sounds better than the DX90, (at least the original X5) I won't buy the X5 because the UI and button layout is just not my thing. I need a touchscreen even if it's a crappy one like ones on iBasso players.
Meanwhile, from all the positive feedback about optical feeding the Hugo, I will also look at optical (I never auditioned DAPs with optical out before). I guess I gotta get one of those A&K DAPs because of the UI, the optical out, and the looks.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,464 of 1,858
  If you have an android phone try this app called USB Audio Pro Player, I find this to be the best sound quality transport so far that I've tried with Chord Hugo. I've tried CD player, Ibasso dx90, macbook pro (stock), mac mini (heavily tweaked/stripped down).

I have to also confirm that USB Audio Pro Player/Android tablet sounds better than Ibasso dx90 or any PC I have tried.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #1,465 of 1,858

I have to also confirm that USB Audio Pro Player/Android tablet sounds better than Ibasso dx90 or any PC I have tried.

Yup this app with android phone sounds superb with Hugo. Very neutral with no coloration at all. I always suspicious with Hugo USB, but this has shown me how good USB input of Hugo can be when using appropriate source. The USB input beats optical or spdif input.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #1,466 of 1,858
  Yup this app with android phone sounds superb with Hugo. Very neutral with no coloration at all. I always suspicious with Hugo USB, but this has shown me how good USB input of Hugo can be when using appropriate source. The USB input beats optical or spdif input.

And it works also from HD USB input not only from SD USB input 

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,467 of 1,858
Jun 17, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,468 of 1,858

My X5ii review is now up, with my views as a Digital Transport feeding Hugo :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13388

Cool and thanks again.

Quote:

X5 has to be off center, almost coming off the Chord's 4 feet. And it is pulling the X5ii to the side.

It needs a left-handed version of X5ii with the sockets reversed
wink.gif

The male/male adapter is straight, if anyone could find a right-angled one, that should do it?

Is the x5ii cable a female phono, as m/m 90 deg doesn't seem readily available compared to a m/f which is all over the place.

Is it possible to get a 90 deg connector for the 3.5 jack end instead perhaps?

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,469 of 1,858

Is the x5ii cable a female phono, as m/m 90 deg doesn't seem readily available compared to a m/f which is all over the place.

Is it possible to get a 90 deg connector for the 3.5 jack end instead perhaps?

Yes, The X5 and X5ii adapters terminate in female RCA. It is possible to get short lengths of male to male RCA, but a combination of male to male straight adapter and male to female right angle will work well in a stack. I prefer the longer cable as I carry them separately.

I've not found a male to male right angle phono adapter.

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,470 of 1,858
  ... combination of male to male straight adapter and male to female right angle will work well in a stack. I've not found a male to male right angle

We talking Hugo here or arranging an orgy?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back