Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 15, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #5,851 of 22,537
lets not get all delusional over ch2, lets keep it real.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #5,852 of 22,537
Hi
I simply stream through my galaxy note2 connecting it to h2 via bluetooth aptx....nothing else needed...the easieset way to access to thousands of songs without any audiophile paranoy....and sound quality is stunning
Next phone will have aptx....lukly many producers are now adopting it...galaxy s8, lg g6, oneplus5,.....for me it's a must have now....

Is AptX as good as a wired connection with H2? If so I would consider ditching the iPhone for something like the S8. I imagine the HuPolyGo2™© will cost around the same as an AptX phone!

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #5,853 of 22,537
Is AptX as good as a wired connection with H2? If so I would consider ditching the iPhone for something like the S8. I imagine the HuPolyGo2™© will cost around the same as an AptX phone!

No, but it sounds darn good. The AptX codec still compresses the music in a packetized form (lossy), but it does handy things like forward error correction to mitigate errors across the wireless link.

Ill put it this way, I'm totally satisfied with the sound that comes out of the H2 over AptX. Hope that helps, I wish I could let you hear it for yourself. You should see if you can get your hand on one for a demo.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,854 of 22,537
Just today I got the V2 pads for the HE1000 (finally they're available!). I haven't yet mounted and tried them, was too occupied with the Campfire Andromeda also picked up at the same time (preferred it over the Vega) – fantastic IEMs, but not free of (easily fixable) tonal issues. We'll see how much of a difference the new pads make! I suspect they're responsible for 85%, the rest goes to the thinner plywood frame and the closure of the gap between it and the pads (in my case already closed). Also, I'm sure my EQ curve already addresses the tonal-balance issues of the original HE1000. I'm curious about the effect of the stronger driver angling caused by the V2 pads, though.

have you done a comparison on andromeda vs vega anywhere on the forums? would love to read

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #5,855 of 22,537
I told you guys Apt-X with Hugo 2 sounds fantastic! Glad others are enjoying it as much as I am.

The only thing that concerns me is when streaming music from the native Tidal app the data is technically not bit-perfect since android upsamples all audio to 192khz. Bluetooth limits the file size to 44khz so are the bits being truncated before making their way to Hugo 2?

And yes I know I could use UAPP and send the data bit perfectly via apt x but Tidal's native app gives me better music recommendations.

@Rob Watts Would appreciate your input on this.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #5,856 of 22,537
Just today I got the V2 pads for the HE1000 (finally they're available!). I haven't yet mounted and tried them, was too occupied with the Campfire Andromeda also picked up at the same time (preferred it over the Vega) – fantastic IEMs, but not free of (easily fixable) tonal issues. We'll see how much of a difference the new pads make! I suspect they're responsible for 85%, the rest goes to the thinner plywood frame and the closure of the gap between it and the pads (in my case already closed). Also, I'm sure my EQ curve already addresses the tonal-balance issues of the original HE1000. I'm curious about the effect of the stronger driver angling caused by the V2 pads, though.

Hi Jazz, I been eyeing the CA andromedas for a while now. I heard that they a quite sensitive. Have you experienced any hiss on them with the Hugo 2?

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #5,858 of 22,537
have you done a comparison on andromeda vs vega anywhere on the forums? would love to read
No, sorry! I'm new to the Campfires, today was my first encounter, and it was rather brief – not least because the decision was so clear. That said, I'm not sure if it has been really fair. No matter how I tried to fiddle with the seal, the Vega had the weaker bass than the Androneda, which didn't sound right according to the comments I've read on Head-Fi and the FR graphs I've seen. In fact the Andromeda's bass is too strong to my ears, with a slight boominess in the region of 150 Hz (have to tame it by 4 dB and more from 31 to 250 Hz). But treble extension/quality and soundstage are exceptional, clearly superior to what I heard from the Vega. And clearly superior to my modified and carefully equalized SE846. Now I wonder if I get too good a seal... BTW, I had to use the standard tips on both, which were of a size that usually fit my ear canals well.

Hi Jazz, I been eyeing the CA andromedas for a while now. I heard that they a quite sensitive. Have you experienced any hiss on them with the Hugo 2?
I auditioned it with the Hugo₂ and at home listened in this configuration as well. I can't detect any hiss, although it is even more sensitive than the SE846. And its lowest impedance is 4 Ω – at low frequencies! Fortunately the Hugo₂ can handle it, despite the official 8 Ω limit. I may not be the most reliable reference when it comes to hiss, since my high-frequency tinnitus is in the way and will mask it. After all I could detect a very subtle hiss with the original Hugo and the SE846 lately, which I never noticed during listening to music before.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #5,859 of 22,537
So many frown upon EQ'ing but it can be a great thing when done to the right equipment. Some headphones "don't take" the eq well and the tonal changes introduce distortion. With others that do take it's a great way to personalize the signature. I was using Audirvana for my MAC until I was introduced to Roon which is fantastic. It isn't cheap but offers multiple EQ options, filters (plus numerous other functions) and most importantly to me, very clean frequency upgrade processing. If you enable sample rate conversion to 'MAX PCM rate' it bumps standard HiFI level Tidal tracks up to 768kHz and the SQ improvements are exceptional. There is a learning curve with Roon but well worth the time and effort. Hands down the best $120 I've spent on this hobby.

I wouldn't recommend using up-sampling with the Hugo 2. The processing inside the Chord DACs is far more powerful than what Roon or computer software can do. If you imagine that Roon can up-sample the equivalent of 8x or 16x, then the original Hugo did the equivalent of 2048x! For the Hugo 2, I actually wonder what that number would be.

I am a bit surprised Rob did not target even lower noise levels with Hugo 2.

SNR is only a tiny part of the performance of a component. It's rather like the top speed of a car. You cannot compare the top speeds of cars and get any idea of their actual performance when being driven.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #5,860 of 22,537
No, sorry! I'm new to the Campfires, today was my first encounter, and it was rather brief – not least because the decision was so clear. That said, I'm not sure if it has been really fair. No matter how I tried to fiddle with the seal, the Vega had the weaker bass than the Androneda,
i swear by the comply foam tips. ONLY way i can get seal (GREAT SEAL) on my IEMs.

fwiw,
doody

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #5,861 of 22,537
Don't get me wrong: I don't regret to have bought the DAVE one bit, and it sounds better than the Hugo₂ with all my headphones. It's just that if the Hugo₂ would have been first, most likely I wouldn't have invested that much money in an upgrade for the DAVE – my most expensive hi-fi purchase ever. Because I could absolutely be happy with the sound of the Hugo₂. I have never aspired the best system available, it just happens that now with the DAVE I'm close to it. However, I will happily pass on the Susvara and the Blu₂. Maybe a separate M-Scaler will be an option o
I wouldn't recommend using up-sampling with the Hugo 2. The processing inside the Chord DACs is far more powerful than what Roon or computer software can do. If you imagine that Roon can up-sample the equivalent of 8x or 16x, then the original Hugo did the equivalent of 2048x! For the Hugo 2, I actually wonder what that number would be.

SNR is only a tiny part of the performance of a component. It's rather like the top speed of a car. You cannot compare the top speeds of cars and get any idea of their actual performance when being driven.

on the upsampling capabilities of hugo2...
so maybe no need for me to look into replacing my 10 yr old laptop (as it can't handle any Roon upsampling) with a Sonictransporter i5 https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i5
or the more $$$ nimitra @ US$1300..http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/nimitra-computer-audio-server/..or the upcoming turnkey Roon nucleus products...
(as i use roon, tidal and a microrendu/lps1)

decisions....

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #5,862 of 22,537
If that is going to work, then the aluminium body of the Hugo must touch the granite. Heat travels up, so the granite will have no effect if there is any air between the Hugo2 and the granite.

In any event, I don't think you need to worry. I suspect the overheating issues are overstated and you will not have any problems in normal use. I hope you get your Hugo soon, enjoy!
Hugo 2 just disconnected due to heat issues. Turned it off, 20 minutes later back on, working again. Local temperatures about 75 deg F. This was after about 2 hours of listening time.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #5,864 of 22,537
Hugo 2 just disconnected due to heat issues. Turned it off, 20 minutes later back on, working again. Local temperatures about 75 deg F. This was after about 2 hours of listening time.

That's only about 23 degrees celceius, that's not even hot lol.

I would definitely return it if it's cutting off after that amount heat, and this is coming from someone who lives in Australia where in summer it can get to over 44.

Mine would get warm but not hot and thats after about 6+ hours of continued use.

RMA it for sure, for the price that can not surely be within tolerable limits.

I also have a feeling that maybe some peoples usb charging cords might not be up to snuff and causing the issue within the units, might be worth trying a different power usb cord and see if you get cut off due to high heat again.

If it doesn't you know it's the cord if it does you know it's the unit.

In saying all this mines working fine no issues what so ever, hasn't cut out or skipped a beat once.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #5,865 of 22,537

Are you sure it was heat issues? Hugo 2 has an auto shut off feature that turns the unit off every 15 minutes if no signal is being sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back