Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #1,516 of 4,904
Sorry Nick, wife not impressed with that! :sweat_smile: She's a fussy one. Oh, and an Aries on the window sill - that will just never do.

Read my edit about WAF and you'll understand. Same colour carpet though, so she'll like that.

Luckily my wife looks at the system and just sees the antique table and which she prefers to a dedicated HiFi stand. It's a good job we are all different.

I am demoing the Zenith SE with Blu2Dave on 19th Sept . . . . . . . . .

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #1,517 of 4,904
The multiple-rack Naim system (I used to have 3 racks of the stuff)

I'm intrigued as to what can take up a 3 width rack? My friend had recently got a power supply box. To be fair, his system does sound awesome and certainly better than mine in respects of scale and power but I think it sounds more 'hifi' whereas mine sounds more subtle and realistic/accurate - imo. I think his wife was being a bit snarky because she feels it imposes too much onto their living room. I'd love him to suggest that a third rack is necessary!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #1,519 of 4,904
Luckily my wife looks at the system and just sees the antique table and which she prefers to a dedicated HiFi stand. It's a good job we are all different.

I am demoing the Zenith SE with Blu2Dave on 19th Sept . . . . . . . . .

Let me know how you get on.

I was pulling your leg, I actually had an Aries on the window sill at the back of the rack for a while. I have two guitars and an amp in the main lounge, so my wife isn't too bad at all really - just as long as all is neat and tidy.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #1,521 of 4,904
I received my BLU2/Dave a couple of weeks ago DAVE is sounding really good but BLU2 came with screws loose inside! It went back for repair in Los Angeles Chord might just send me a replacement we'll see
:frowning2:

Not too bad .. I think.. my Dave do have the current leakage on the headphone out and now blue got problem with cd driver and waiting for replacement part...

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #1,523 of 4,904
I'm intrigued as to what can take up a 3 width rack?
Pre-amp + active crossover + 6 mono power amps = 10 boxes. 225W per channel into speakers with about 95dB per watt sensitivity and flat to 16Hz :)

Then add 2-box CD player, tuner and turntable...

My friend had recently got a power supply box. To be fair, his system does sound awesome and certainly better than mine in respects of scale and power but I think it sounds more 'hifi' whereas mine sounds more subtle and realistic/accurate - imo. I think his wife was being a bit snarky because she feels it imposes too much onto their living room. I'd love him to suggest that a third rack is necessary!
Make him cry, take your BluDAVE and plug it into his pre-amp. True Naimees know that source-first is the guiding principle for a system.

The irony is that BluDAVE takes only one shelf - they're small enough to easily be able to share a shelf - back to back, say - as long as the transport is not used and it's a pure streaming solution.

Now playing: Josh T Pearson - Sorry with a Song

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,524 of 4,904
Make him cry, take your BluDAVE and plug it into his pre-amp.

I like that suggestion!

As for your 14 box system......the mind boggles. Bit like this?

IMG_0335.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #1,525 of 4,904
I like that suggestion!

As for your 14 box system......the mind boggles. Bit like this?

I'm sorry but that's 15 boxes plus a turntable(two over the line). A 15 item power strip is plugged into the wall to the lower left. Alas, there was no money left over to purchase a dust cover for the turntable. The papers stacked up on the upper left are step-by-step instructions so that your significant other knows how to turn on your system(including which boxes to turn on in which order) and play music. Or maybe it's the audiophile's divorce papers that he's just been served with. For that poor soul there is no sweet spot.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,526 of 4,904
The irony is that BluDAVE takes only one shelf - they're small enough to easily be able to share a shelf - back to back, say - as long as the transport is not used and it's a pure streaming solution.

If the transport isn't being used, can DAVE be placed directly on top of Blu2? I use Black Ravioli feet (more about that later) which are about 4mm higher than stock feet. From the photos, this seems to have a chance of working, but I'm not sure if that hinge at the back will get in the way.

This is a genuine question, as I originally bought DAVE partly to downsize my main rig, and Blu2's arrival has given me a new dilemma.(Edit: I'm not tempted by Chord's stand and the back-to-back way may work, but direct stacking seems neater for cable management).

PS. I side with the wife regarding the multi-box Naim system :)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #1,527 of 4,904
Even with the transport turned off, the Blu II gets quite hot. I'd have thought it would need plenty of ventilation. Plus, with the CD lid, it's not really an even surface. No harm in trying, though its not a very elegant solution to cable management.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #1,528 of 4,904

I think you'd need a bit more clearance. The Blu gets pretty hot - there are some holes in the casing which I suspect may be for ventilation as well as decoration, so you may need to leave those clear. Also, the lid is curved, so you'd need to clear that and there's not much room to the side. I think it would be difficult without the Chord stand.

I'm coming round to the multi box idea - it can be done tastefully.

IMG_0336.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #1,529 of 4,904
If the transport isn't being used, can DAVE be placed directly on top of Blu2? I use Black Ravioli feet (more about that later) which are about 4mm higher than stock feet. From the photos, this seems to have a chance of working, but I'm not sure if that hinge at the back will get in the way.

This is a genuine question, as I originally bought DAVE partly to downsize my main rig, and Blu2's arrival has given me a new dilemma.(Edit: I'm not tempted by Chord's stand and the back-to-back way may work, but direct stacking seems neater for cable management).

How about Blu2 on top of Dave?

I use rubber door stops as spacers to raise the Dave off the table anyway (to enhance cooling).

Normally I have BluDave side by side but if you are not using the CD (would be wobbly) you could have one on top of the other.

blu2 on top of dave.jpg

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,530 of 4,904
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Looks like my idea about "DAVE on top" won't be practical. I had forgotten about Blu2 running hotter than DAVE, and Triode User's photo shows the domed lid to be higher than I had imagined from earlier photos. Also, "Blu2 on top" won't work for me because it obscures DAVE's controls and it at least partly obscures DAVE's "cyclops" display, which aesthetically is the best part of DAVE for me.

So if I'm to continue considering BluDave on the same shelf of my compact rack, it'll have to be back-to-back, or back-to-front, or even an L-shape where the wires cross at 90 degrees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back