Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Mar 31, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #91 of 1,746
I actually got this DAC to use in my speaker system (With Totem forrest speakers and a 200w integated Jungson amp). So far, with a bit of informal listening I am enjoying it a lot, but I sold my previous DAC a month ago (Yulong DA8), and since then I have been listening to music through a Oppo 103, and iFI iDSD nano(which I normally use for my headphones), and both sound pretty crappy in this system, so this DAC is a BIG relief. Have to listen for while longer, and more carefully to see how much I enjoy it, but so far so good.

BTW, in the pas I have had the an Arcam rdac, Moon 100d, Asus Muses, Concero HD, and the Yulong...   I have never heard any other Chord dacs.

The one thing I can say for sure is that the base is less bloated than the Yulong, and that in my system and room, the soundstage depth is better.

Cheers.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #92 of 1,746
I've been using a Hugo in my main system for months now. My wife hates having to turn it on with the fiddly switch whilst holding the button in (for line-out) and the cables are all over the place :)

So, I ordered a 2Qute replacement - should work really well plugged directly into my Almarro a340 Mono-blocks with build in volume controls.

It should arrive in the by Saturday. I will let you know if I notice a difference.

Rob - can the 2Qute be left powered on all the time? If so the turn on sequence for the HiFi will be much simplified :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #93 of 1,746
I'm thinking there will be a few Hugo owners changing just for the reason's you stated Piercer. I wonder if there will be used Hugo's for sale soon. I think it's going to be a tough call. I for one am going with the 2Qute even over a good deal on a used Hugo. I want those full size features - usb cable, coax, rca with enough room for larger rca cables ..etc.

All I can say is thank you Rob, thank you Chord and can I get a better deal because of medical reasons??

I'm suffering  from multi-symptoms all leading back to the 2Qute.  My blood pressure, adrenaline, and mental state are all in question from prescience, presentiment, preconception, foresight, contemplation, prospect, apprehension, keenness, expectancy, readiness, forethought, inkling, prevision, foreseeing, and prior knowledge. That being said I would also like to bring up today's date and it's implications. My psych say's there's only one cure and that's to go forward with my life putting these behind and make the only viable decision (buy the 2Qute) because to do otherwise will mean year's of therapy and we don't want that now do we (his words not mine).

In finishing I would like to share my favorite Chord video and I hope everyone will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTlkidlYPg

Cheers and happy April fools day.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #94 of 1,746
  I've been using a Hugo in my main system for months now. My wife hates having to turn it on with the fiddly switch whilst holding the button in (for line-out) and the cables are all over the place :)

So, I ordered a 2Qute replacement - should work really well plugged directly into my Almarro a340 Mono-blocks with build in volume controls.

It should arrive in the by Saturday. I will let you know if I notice a difference.

Rob - can the 2Qute be left powered on all the time? If so the turn on sequence for the HiFi will be much simplified :)

Yes leave it on. Fortunately, as it shares Hugo tech, its pretty power efficient - its under 2 W whilst being used - so just keep it on.

Rob

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #95 of 1,746
OK - 2Qute arrived and is plugged in.

Two dissapointments:

The quality of the source selector button is awful. It is very wobbly and feels like it could break at any moment.

The quality of the black finish o the top is very sub-standard. It might just need a proper clean, but out of the box it looks rather shabby.

Sound-wise: way too early to tell 

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #96 of 1,746
Hi, that's too bad about the button, I actually was surprised when I got it that the button was better than I expected. May be some variation in the productions.
I got the silver version, so I have no Idea about the finish. Mine is obviously not painted.
Still getting acquainted with the sound, but enjoying it a lot, but it sounds very different from my previous dac, so I have to wait for the wow factor to wear off to judge properly. Hope you enjoy it, and would love to hear your comments.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #98 of 1,746
  OK - 2Qute arrived and is plugged in.

Two dissapointments:

The quality of the source selector button is awful. It is very wobbly and feels like it could break at any moment.

The quality of the black finish o the top is very sub-standard. It might just need a proper clean, but out of the box it looks rather shabby.

Sound-wise: way too early to tell 

Well that's disappointing. I just preordered a black one myself. Sound wise don't you have the Hugo Piercer? Should sound about the same. The 2Qute a little clearer even.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #99 of 1,746

Well that's disappointing. I just preordered a black one myself. Sound wise don't you have the Hugo Piercer? Should sound about the same. The 2Qute a little clearer even.

Ruby Tiger - surprisingly that was not my immediate impression. I haven't listened long but my first impressions were that it sounded pretty different. Strange, huh? It also seemed to be noticeably louder than the Hugo in line out mode, wierd. I am wondering if it is an impedance thing.

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #100 of 1,746
The 2QUTE is louder in my system than my previous Yulong, I think it is because it has a 3v output, don't know about the Hugo...
I certainly find it clearer than anything I previously owned...

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #101 of 1,746
OK, some initial results

Listening to 2Qute right now over USB into my Almarro monoblocks. The source is a raspberry pi 2 running Volumio (Highly recommended - they sound great and, as the 2Qute doesn't draw any power from the USB, well up to the task).

...and the results are excellent. I'm going to stick my neck out and say, yes, ever so slightly better than the Hugo.

There is more control all around (even using the wal-mart power supply) with the real bottom-end bass slightly extended and better sounding.

So apart from the awful switch (sorry Mr Watts), and the black finish on the top - which might be cleanable, I am very happy.

So far, and I can't imagine why this would change, it sounds really awesome.

Above and beyond sound quality the cable arrangement is far better for a home system.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #102 of 1,746
Unlike Hugo, 2 Qute does draw power from the USB - this is because of the galvanic isolation - the USB chip is powered from the USB 5v, then the data is galvanic isolated from 2 Qute. The galvanic isolation gives quite a big improvement in SQ when using PC's or laptops as a source.

We can't isolate Hugo, as the technique draws power from the USB, so in portable applications the mobile would go flat too quickly. That said, with mobile phones and Hugo driving headphones, you don't actually need the isolation so much as RF noise levels are orders of magnitude lower than with PC's.

The switch is identical to Hugo.

Rob 

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #103 of 1,746
Here's a link I found with a few impressions as well;  http://blog.audiot.co.uk/manchester/2015/3/24/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-arrives-in-manchester.html.

It looks attractive in the pictures but I'm really not worried over look's one way or another. It's the performance I'm after.

Edit: Looked a little lonely so I added a couple more photos.

TYM.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #104 of 1,746
  Unlike Hugo, 2 Qute does draw power from the USB - this is because of the galvanic isolation - the USB chip is powered from the USB 5v, then the data is galvanic isolated from 2 Qute. The galvanic isolation gives quite a big improvement in SQ when using PC's or laptops as a source.

We can't isolate Hugo, as the technique draws power from the USB, so in portable applications the mobile would go flat too quickly. That said, with mobile phones and Hugo driving headphones, you don't actually need the isolation so much as RF noise levels are orders of magnitude lower than with PC's.

The switch is identical to Hugo.

Rob 

Thanks - Interesting about the galvanic isolation improving sound quality from PC's etc... Maybe that is one of the factors in the improvement I have noticed. Would an improved power supply for the Digital Source (like the Pi) be not such a big improvement then? Is this what the galvanic isolation means?

WRT the switch - it is not like the one on the Hugo (from my point of view) - it seems to stick out more and wobbles like a loose tooth. However as I am probably never going to touch it, this is not such a big issue.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #105 of 1,746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back