Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Jan 21, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #32 of 1,746
Is it feasible to triple-stack 2Qute for decoding 5.1-channel DSD when we can't sync them like Ted did with triple-Mytek? Just wondering if ASIO drivers for 2Qute were able to get that setup implemented.

Quite a bit costlier than exaSound e28 but not having to add three Paul Hynes SR3 would be well worth the difference.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #33 of 1,746
Rob - if the power supply for the 2Qute is so good, why did you use a battery power supply for the Hugo TT, rather than the same power supply as the 2Qute? The TT doesn't need to be portable, so what advantage does it's battery supply bring?

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #34 of 1,746
Will there be firmware upgrades for 2Qute in the future? Most DAC manufacturers provide this. Apparently, there has not been any for Hugo. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #35 of 1,746
I treat my FPGA designs as if I were designing an ASIC, which means that I spend a great deal of time on verification, simulation and testing. Indeed, less than 1/3 of the design time I spend is writing code and top level design - the other 2/3 is testing. Also, most of the key modules are many years old, so extensively field tested and bug free.

So Hugo has not had a code update - because there were no FPGA bugs at all, due to lots and lots of testing, which will include measurements and extensive listening tests. New digital Verilog modules get extensively simulated, so I know exactly what the digital domain performance in terms of THD and noise. The core Hugo code is now nearly 2 years old, but it was very heavily optimised to suit the size of the Spartan 6 LX9. If I came up with a way of significantly improving SQ and still make it fit on the LX9, we would launch an upgrade, but don't expect one soon. Since I spent many months just on optimising the code to improve SQ, I do not expect to do an update.

Rob

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #36 of 1,746
this is exactly the one iam looking Rob.
You Have Make Such A Good Product .
A same hugo sound with lot of more convinience use of bigger connector and cable the most important is no need expensive linear psu
only one iam consider why using bnc coaxial why not rca type coaxial.

one question Rob,
is the usb connection sound more better than the coaxial?
i see there is some usb isolation you use like adum now

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #38 of 1,746
To use with the Oppo HA1:

1. Connect your source to the 2qute via Coax, optical or USB digital input & use the switch on the 2qute to select the appropriate input type.
  2. connect RCA cables from the 2qute to the Oppo HA1 RCA inputs
  3. select the RCA input on the Oppo, plug in headphones, and Bob's your uncle

The benefit of this setup would be to utilize the DAC in the 2qute, and the amp in the Oppo.

If, however, you're sending the signal to an amp for home stereo usage, I'd suggest not connecting the Oppo at all, and just sending digital source into the2qute, and RCA out of the 2qute to the amp's RCA inputs.

As for whether it'd be worth it... maybe you'll let us know after you've set it up? :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 1,746
  this is exactly the one iam looking Rob.
You Have Make Such A Good Product .
A same hugo sound with lot of more convinience use of bigger connector and cable the most important is no need expensive linear psu
only one iam consider why using bnc coaxial why not rca type coaxial.

one question Rob,
is the usb connection sound more better than the coaxial?
i see there is some usb isolation you use like adum now

The USB now sounds better than coaxial,and slightly better than optical - its a wee bit more focused. The USB galvanic isolation is on the data side from the FPGA to the 2 Qute USB decoding chip. Because of the galvanic isolation, don't bother about using fancy USB converters or cables. The galvanic isolation is done in such a way as to allow full data rates, and maintain isochronous operation - that is the timing comes from the FPGA.

Rob  

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #40 of 1,746
Hi Rob and All,

I'm very excited about the 2Qute to replace my QuteHD and have already placed an advanced order.

If I follow correctly, using a de luxe power supply (I have the Teddy Pardo) would make no difference to the sound quality from the 2Qute?

It certainly does improve the sound from the Qute HD ....

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #41 of 1,746
  Hi Rob and All,

I'm very excited about the 2Qute to replace my QuteHD and have already placed an advanced order.

If I follow correctly, using a de luxe power supply (I have the Teddy Pardo) would make no difference to the sound quality from the 2Qute?

It certainly does improve the sound from the Qute HD ....

Yes the car battery made a big difference with my Qute HD too. But 2 Qute had no change in SQ using the car battery - which would be much better than any mains powered PSU.

Rob

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #42 of 1,746
Rob - very excited about this new PSU! I am guessing in the above quote you mean "any linear PSU" rather than "any mains powered PSU"? Does it take after-market power cords, and if so have you tried any that make a difference?

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #43 of 1,746
By any mains powered PSU means linear and switchers. Mains cables in this instance will not make a difference either - anyhow, the PSU supplied is a wall wart type. With 2 Qute, don't worry about the power, or the USB, you will not get any more improvements!

Rob 

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #44 of 1,746
Rob - this wall wart you've designed sounds quite interesting. Could it be used to power other components as well (e.g. - an Auralic Aries without the linear PSU option)? Will it be available as a standalone product?

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #45 of 1,746
OK, a bit of confusion here - I have not designed a better wall wart, I have just put much more RF filtering and regulation into 2 Qute, so that the now 2 Qute is now completely insensitive to the mains power. So adding a better PSU has now no SQ improvements.

Rob 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back