Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #18,721 of 18,757
All it needs is a full-fledged mpd control via bluetooth on the gofigure app (like the hibylink). So that I don't have to use the phone hotspot/hotspot mode when away from home network.
Absolutely, I asked for that back when Poly was first released, it didn't happen then sadly and will never happen now. Perhaps if there is a Poly2 one day.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #18,722 of 18,757
2.4ghz is not the issue. It's more stable over distance than 5ghz or 6ghz. The new 6E has terrible coverage outside of the room with the router. Bandwidth over 2.4ghz can more than cover any bitrate you want for music. This isn't really the limitation of the Poly. 2.4ghz isn't going away. Almost every mainline home automation product relies on 2.4ghz. This is not like 3G/4G/5G cellular data.

The Poly shines as a DLNA, Roon, UPnP, or airplay endpoint. It is darn near flawless as a Roon endpoint. Any other usage requires finding the right software combo to fit your usage. That is the limitation of the Poly.

If you are getting the Poly for cheap, I'd give it a go. Worst case is you sell it off if it doesn't meet your needs.

Thanks Daniel, some great food for thought.

2.4ghz is more prone to interference and that's an issue when an uninterrupted stream of data is important. As opposed to your home automation example.

I'm not worried about the control structure/interface. There appear to be some great solutions out there.

J

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #18,723 of 18,757
Thanks Daniel, some great food for thought.

2.4ghz is more prone to interference and that's an issue when an uninterrupted stream of data is important. As opposed to your home automation example.

I'm not worried about the control structure/interface. There appear to be some great solutions out there.

J

Understood. My KEF LS50II were absolutely useless with my google mesh network. I switched to the Orbi 960 series and they work flawlessly. The Poly never had issues.

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #18,724 of 18,757
I have a quick question regarding the frankly woeful GoFigure app. I've got the latest version of the app on Android and I'm trying to work out how to easily change my Poly from "Everything Else" to "Roon Ready" - from screenshots and the Chord user manual it looks like the app used to have a slider that would allow you to make the change but that this has now disappeared? Assuming this is the case (and I'm not using some janky version of the app) what is the easiest way to make the change please?

As a side note, I have to say - while Chord makes absolutely awesome kit, their IT solutions are dire.

It does it automatically now. Just enable it in roon/audio
So I tried this, on the understanding that play mode on the GoFigure app on my phone was "Automatic" so I assumed that this would mean Roon would find the unit whatever. I logged into Roon using my laptop and sure enough saw my poly there, but as "airplay". I tried to play something through it and no sound came out, so I re-ran the GoFigure wizard, this time selecting "Roon Ready". I now have a situation where the app keeps flicking (like every 5 seconds) between my home wifi and "not connected" and Roon doesn't recognise my Poly at all. Any thoughts?

FWIW I'm starting to get really p****d off with Chord's IT solutions.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #18,725 of 18,757
So I tried this, on the understanding that play mode on the GoFigure app on my phone was "Automatic" so I assumed that this would mean Roon would find the unit whatever. I logged into Roon using my laptop and sure enough saw my poly there, but as "airplay". I tried to play something through it and no sound came out, so I re-ran the GoFigure wizard, this time selecting "Roon Ready". I now have a situation where the app keeps flicking (like every 5 seconds) between my home wifi and "not connected" and Roon doesn't recognise my Poly at all. Any thoughts?

FWIW I'm starting to get really p****d off with Chord's IT solutions.
There should be 2 listings of your Poly in Roon (Set Up>Audio). One will say "via AirPlay". Pick the other one. If you don't see both, turn off the Poly until ALL the LEDs are off and not blinking. Then restart it. You might need to have both your phone and your Poly near your WiFi router.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #18,726 of 18,757
There should be 2 listings of your Poly in Roon (Set Up>Audio). One will say "via AirPlay". Pick the other one. If you don't see both, turn off the Poly until ALL the LEDs are off and not blinking. Then restart it. You might need to have both your phone and your Poly near your WiFi router.
Thanks for this rwelles. I see the two listing but the non-AirPlay one isn't playing ball to be honest, the Airplay one isn't either - I select and hit play but nothing happens). I choose the Mojo option and it doesn't work, and there's no option for Poly on my version of Roon. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240411_224106.jpg
    20240411_224106.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240411_224556.jpg
    20240411_224556.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #18,727 of 18,757
I'm guessing you're running Windows, based on the ASIO in the 1st shot. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Apple guy, so maybe another member can offer assistance.

On the 2nd shot, just pick Mojo. It's only for the artwork that Roon displays. Unless you'd rather pretend you own a Dave. :thinking:

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #18,728 of 18,757
I'm guessing you're running Windows, based on the ASIO in the 1st shot. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Apple guy, so maybe another member can offer assistance.

On the 2nd shot, just pick Mojo. It's only for the artwork that Roon displays. Unless you'd rather pretend you own a Dave. :thinking:
For reasons completely beyond me, I've just this morning tried again having restarted my computer, and Roon has found my Poly as a Roon Ready item. Seems to be streaming ok.... For now! Thanks for your help rwelles!

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #18,729 of 18,757
Question,

My poly has firmware version 3.2.0 and there is an update for 3.2.1 but for some reason my poly is not updating to FW 3.2.1. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix ?

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #18,730 of 18,757
Question,

My poly has firmware version 3.2.0 and there is an update for 3.2.1 but for some reason my poly is not updating to FW 3.2.1. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix ?
Good to see you posting again.

A few weeks ago it seemed that the ios version of GoFigure was struggling to update Poly and 2Go, but the android version worked.
Having said that, I will add the qualifying comment that it took me 3 attempts before the android version updated correctly.

Since then, there have been posts on the Poly, 2Go, M2 threads stating that Chord are experiencing issues with their update server, and this is causing problems for some owners. It would be good for Chord to post a further status update regarding their server.

The only fix seems to be 'Keep Calm And Wait For Further News'.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #18,731 of 18,757
Good to see you posting again.

A few weeks ago it seemed that the ios version of GoFigure was struggling to update Poly and 2Go, but the android version worked.
Having said that, I will add the qualifying comment that it took me 3 attempts before the android version updated correctly.

Since then, there have been posts on the Poly, 2Go, M2 threads stating that Chord are experiencing issues with their update server, and this is causing problems for some owners. It would be good for Chord to post a further status update regarding their server.

The only fix seems to be 'Keep Calm And Wait For Further News'.
Considering the MSRP of most of their gear, one should expect that level of commitment from Chord (or any OEM for that matter) in all aspect of performance, or am I asking for too much?

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #18,732 of 18,757
Considering the MSRP of most of their gear, one should expect that level of commitment from Chord (or any OEM for that matter) in all aspect of performance, or am I asking for too much?
You're not asking too much. There's no way around it that they've failed their streaming products.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #18,733 of 18,757
I have never suggested that Chord should not show commitment.
Just my opinion but Chord must have realised long ago, that by outsourcing the Poly/2Go firmware and circuit boards to DisignConsultants, they have handicapped how fast they can respond to user issues/bugs etc.
In spite of all this, Chord are still showing commitment by releasing firmware updates. Far bigger firms like Google would have dropped Poly years ago.

Yes the delays are frustrating, but complaining strongly on head-fi threads, will not result in DisignConsultants solving the issues quicker.
That is the reality of the modern software development world for you. :disappointed:

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #18,734 of 18,757
I have never suggested that Chord should not show commitment.
Just my opinion but Chord must have realised long ago, that by outsourcing the Poly/2Go firmware and circuit boards to DisignConsultants, they have handicapped how fast they can respond to user issues/bugs etc.
In spite of all this, Chord are still showing commitment by releasing firmware updates. Far bigger firms like Google would have dropped Poly years ago.

Yes the delays are frustrating, but complaining strongly on head-fi threads, will not result in DisignConsultants solving the issues quicker.
That is the reality of the modern software development world for you. :disappointed:
I don’t seek to be a beta tester every time I purchase a product that relies on software to function. It seems more pervasive in this hobby, with an acceptance not given regarding other product categories

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #18,735 of 18,757
I don’t seek to be a beta tester every time I purchase a product that relies on software to function. It seems more pervasive in this hobby, with an acceptance not given regarding other product categories
During the last decade Agile software development methodologies feel like they have become dominant for software development.
The billions of phones bought with a MVP (Minimum Viable Product) operating system/apps etc, which then receive regular incremental updates must be familiar to many posters here.
A big differentiator is that some firms require the MVP to be near perfect at launch, the Poly was much less so.
Nowadays it is very difficult to avoid being a beta tester whenever any of us buy any product containing software - however providing the MVP is mature enough, owners may not realise that they are still beta testing to a certain extent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back