Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #18,706 of 18,757
True. But even the cheapest DAP has a better UI than GoFigure. I haven't found a third party app that uses mpd that is equivalent to the Sony Walkman app or Hiby music (for example).

All iPhones have Airplay. Android phones have Chromecast. DLNA and UPnP are ubiquitous. All are industry standards that software developers can use to interface with streamers.

The HiFi world today is about streaming. Stalwort companies like Classe are putting streaming capabilities into their preamps now. Downloaded albums and curated offline libraries are losing to Apple Music, Spotify, and Amazon Music.

Chord relies on a retail store model. A flawless streaming module in 2024 would be a lot easier to sell than an enthusiast device that sorta does everything but nothing spectacularly well.

This is just my thoughts. If you use MPD, cool. As much as I want to love mpd and the microSD card, I don't. I own the Poly and 2go. I highly doubt my thoghts will threaten the survival of mpd. 😏

YMMV. IMHO.
Surely nobody uses GoFigure to play stuff, though? I don't use any streaming services and only buy music either physically or as a download. Controlling Poly/Mojo2 though Rigelian seems pretty good to me and the sound is fantastic. I guess my mileage did vary.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #18,707 of 18,757
Surely nobody uses GoFigure to play stuff, though? I don't use any streaming services and only buy music either physically or as a download. Controlling Poly/Mojo2 though Rigelian seems pretty good to me and the sound is fantastic. I guess my mileage did vary.

So, having to subscribe to a third party app is okay for a USD$600+ device?

GoFigure is the app Chord produced to control poly. Zero reason why it shouldn't do what Rigellian, Mconnect, glider, etc do.

There's a big difference using a product to fit your specific needs as opposed to a product being designed to function as promised.

Anyway, if my opinion offends those who love mpd, my apologies. I'm happy you're happy with your poly. It doesn't let Chord off the hook for crappy app design.

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #18,708 of 18,757
So, having to subscribe to a third party app is okay for a USD$600+ device?

GoFigure is the app Chord produced to control poly. Zero reason why it shouldn't do what Rigellian, Mconnect, glider, etc do.

There's a big difference using a product to fit your specific needs as opposed to a product being designed to function as promised.

Anyway, if my opinion offends those who love mpd, my apologies. I'm happy you're happy with your poly. It doesn't let Chord off the hook for crappy app.
You can definitely argue that Chord should have provided its own controller app for the Poly but I’m pretty sure that GoFigure was only ever intended to do what its name suggests - to go and configure the system. As for a subscription for an MPD controller (in Rigelian’s case) it’s literally a couple of £/$ a year.
At the end of the day it is a slightly quirky system (setting up pre GoFigure certainly seemed that way) but I can’t honestly say that I have had any problems in my use cases (MPD from the card or casting to using AirPlay).

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #18,709 of 18,757
Hi all, am looking at grabbing a second hand Poly to partner my Mojo2.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Does Poly support Tidal Connect, will it support HD quality?
Does Poly suppport HD played from a Naim Uniti Core network storage?

Thanks
Jason

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #18,710 of 18,757
Hi all, am looking at grabbing a second hand Poly to partner my Mojo2.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Does Poly support Tidal Connect, will it support HD quality?
Does Poly suppport HD played from a Naim Uniti Core network storage?

Thanks
Jason
Just reading through some previous posts.

Ah. Scrub the first question, what about the second though 😂

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #18,711 of 18,757
Just reading through some previous posts.

Ah. Scrub the first question, what about the second though 😂
Yes. Source will be the NAS server.
Renderer will be the Poly.
On the 8 player, you have to select Play On: Poly (in bottom left).

Attachments

• IMG_9299.png
    IMG_9299.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #18,712 of 18,757
I have a quick question regarding the frankly woeful GoFigure app. I've got the latest version of the app on Android and I'm trying to work out how to easily change my Poly from "Everything Else" to "Roon Ready" - from screenshots and the Chord user manual it looks like the app used to have a slider that would allow you to make the change but that this has now disappeared? Assuming this is the case (and I'm not using some janky version of the app) what is the easiest way to make the change please?

As a side note, I have to say - while Chord makes absolutely awesome kit, their IT solutions are dire.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #18,714 of 18,757
I have a quick question regarding the frankly woeful GoFigure app. I've got the latest version of the app on Android and I'm trying to work out how to easily change my Poly from "Everything Else" to "Roon Ready" - from screenshots and the Chord user manual it looks like the app used to have a slider that would allow you to make the change but that this has now disappeared? Assuming this is the case (and I'm not using some janky version of the app) what is the easiest way to make the change please?

As a side note, I have to say - while Chord makes absolutely awesome kit, their IT solutions are dire.
It does it automatically now. Just enable it in roon/audio

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #18,715 of 18,757
Thanks!

I've not pushed the button yet. Am a little worried about the 2.4ghz connection and interference and bandwidth for HD.
Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand one, you'll have no (free) support from the seller or Chord, for what its worth. Should things go wrong, they will, you'll be totally on your own.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #18,716 of 18,757
Personally I wouldn't buy a second hand one, you'll have no (free) support from the seller or Chord, for what its worth. Should things go wrong, they will, you'll be totally on your own.

Thanks Mark, I am coming around to that I'm afraid. I have the right "use case" but 2.4ghz is a little old hat now for a 3-5 year investment.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #18,717 of 18,757
Thanks Mark, I am coming around to that I'm afraid. I have the right "use case" but 2.4ghz is a little old hat now for a 3-5 year investment.
I get that, and the micro-USB, and the lack of balanced. None of those really bother me though. I'm buying smart devices, switches, plugs etc for use around the house and those are all 2.4 WiFi only and none of them have balanced connections either. :)

If you are on the fence I'd probably advise against buying Poly.

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #18,718 of 18,757
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #18,719 of 18,757

2.4ghz is not the issue. It's more stable over distance than 5ghz or 6ghz. The new 6E has terrible coverage outside of the room with the router. Bandwidth over 2.4ghz can more than cover any bitrate you want for music. This isn't really the limitation of the Poly. 2.4ghz isn't going away. Almost every mainline home automation product relies on 2.4ghz. This is not like 3G/4G/5G cellular data.

The Poly shines as a DLNA, Roon, UPnP, or airplay endpoint. It is darn near flawless as a Roon endpoint. Any other usage requires finding the right software combo to fit your usage. That is the limitation of the Poly.

If you are getting the Poly for cheap, I'd give it a go. Worst case is you sell it off if it doesn't meet your needs.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #18,720 of 18,757
All it needs is a full-fledged mpd control via bluetooth on the gofigure app (like the hibylink). So that I don't have to use the phone hotspot/hotspot mode when away from home network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back