Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 7, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #2,941 of 6,311
Are you sure about this? First I've heard of it.

Doody
If you are asking about whether mconnect player is the same as Mconnect player HD then you can easily check on the Play Store. They are different.

If you are asking about whether mconnect player defies the gofigure bit-perfect setting then I can tell you that I have tested that very thing twice now and it certainly does defy the setting.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2,942 of 6,311
I'm curious why you have Roon upsample, given that the H2 automatically upsamples. What type of improvement are you hearing going with Roon to upsample. btw--I also use Roon.
First I hear of it that hugo2 upsamples. Notwithstanding, badly recorded material does benefit from roon upsampling. I find that files which are 24/192 also tend to drop if there is anything between the 2go and the router, like a door for example. When I had the hugo2 hardwired to an allo usbridge and used hqplayer to send pcm 758 to hugo2, the sound was just glorious. Of course that is more of a stationary solution.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #2,944 of 6,311
This!

Can you please explain how you tested this - and how the results differed on the phone (regular) version vs. tablet (HD).

Doody
I am not using a tablet so mconnect player HD does not come into it. I now realise mconnect *HD* player is intended for tablets only.

My use case is using my android phone to control the hugo 2 2go with the 2go in its hotspot mode. That is why I tested mconnect player (not mconnect player HD) and again I tell you that the volume control in mconnect player was *still active* even though the 2go was set to bit-perfect mode.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #2,945 of 6,311
I am not using a tablet so mconnect player HD does not come into it. I now realise mconnect *HD* player is intended for tablets only.

My use case is using my android phone to control the hugo 2 2go with the 2go in its hotspot mode. That is why I tested mconnect player (not mconnect player HD) and again I tell you that the volume control in mconnect player was *still active* even though the 2go was set to bit-perfect mode.

I recall @Matt Bartlett saying that setting only makes the 2go run in bit perfect mode for MPD, not UPnP/AirPlay which mconnect uses.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #2,946 of 6,311
I recall @Matt Bartlett saying that setting only makes the 2go run in bit perfect mode for MPD, not UPnP/AirPlay which mconnect uses.
Hopefully I can clear this up. When we activate bit perfect mode this ensures a bit perfect stream is sent to the playback or control point software and it bypasses any operating system volume controls or conversion. However the control point or playback software can independently add it's own software volume control which we cannot disable. So for instance even though you turn on bit perfect mode on then M Connect will still show you it's own volume control but providing you leave this at maximum so there is no conversion then you will still have bit perfect playback. You can test this by playing a DSD track which by default has to be played with bit perfect on otherwise it will be converted to PCM. If the volume is at maximum it will play. If it is set to any other level it will try to play (badly!) as PCM because the volume control has started to truncate the bit stream.

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,947 of 6,311
I had mojo and wanted to use Poly so I could slip the two into my pocket and control it from my phone.

Up to that point I was controlling the mojo with an old phone velcro-ed to it back-to-backconnected with a short USB cable and running USB Audio Player Pro. It worked but it was ugly and cumbersome to use

I bought a Poly and struggled mightily to set it up with no success. I went back to the dealer and we both struggled and failed to set it up. Then the dealer pulled out her (i-)phone and said "oh, the gofigure app can be used to set it up" so I happily went into the Play Store to download it. No such app. It was only available for iOS. She could see how mad I was about that so she gave me my money back on the spot.

Now I have the Hugo 2 2go and it is working fine.

Anybody who wants a lightly-used mojo in black can have it 😀

GoFigure is available in Android now.

You should probably keep your Mojo. If not for the possible eventuality you may be without you Hugo 2 for any time, like repair. (Fingers crossed.)

I have TT2, Qutest, Hugo 2, and I have kept my Mojo. I started with Mojo. It gave me far too much listening pleasure to ever be able to part with it. Let alone the eventuality I may need it, or ever get a Poly. I use Mojo for fun sometimes. On occasion have been plugged into Mojo while it was sat on my TT2. Have started listening to music with it and simply can't stop. Even though I prefer Hugo 2 (or TT2) all round.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #2,948 of 6,311
How does Hugo 2 upsample anything? Thinking of Mscaler?
After your response, I realized that I had assumed the H2 upsampled. I looked the Chord site and posted reviews to see if I could find any info on it. Finally, I pm'ed @Matt Bartlett to get his input. It seems that to say the H2's upsamples is an understatement!

=====================
Hi Rob,
Wow this is a really hard question to answer simply! So essentially all DACs upsample but the critical part is how well they implement this process. In Hugo2 we use a 48,000 tap WTA that is filtered to 16FS or 705/768KHz. After that it goes through a second WTA filter to 256FS which is about 12MHz and then finally a 3 stage filter gets you to 108MHz. This is far more accurate than any other DAC technology by several orders of magnitude. This results in better transparency, refinement and musicality than you will find elsewhere.

Rob Watts has his own Head-Fi thread so if you want to learn more go and ask him some questions!

Matt

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,949 of 6,311
Hopefully I can clear this up. When we activate bit perfect mode this ensures a bit perfect stream is sent to the playback or control point software and it bypasses any operating system volume controls or conversion. However the control point or playback software can independently add it's own software volume control which we cannot disable. So for instance even though you turn on bit perfect mode on then M Connect will still show you it's own volume control but providing you leave this at maximum so there is no conversion then you will still have bit perfect playback. You can test this by playing a DSD track which by default has to be played with bit perfect on otherwise it will be converted to PCM. If the volume is at maximum it will play. If it is set to any other level it will try to play (badly!) as PCM because the volume control has started to truncate the bit stream.

Thanks! Though I have noticed other devices which broadcast in a way that disable volume control over AirPlay which the 2go doesn’t so perhaps there is another way to implement it?

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,950 of 6,311
So a bit ago I said that vinlypopsandclicks was better with the firmware update. Gonna have to retract that. I sometimes get stretches with nothing, but when I do get them, it's sometimes multiple times in a track, which can get pretty darn annoying. Mind you, this is a product with "Pure Audio" written as you open the box.

I'm curious if others found the issue better or not with the update.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #2,953 of 6,311
So a bit ago I said that vinlypopsandclicks was better with the firmware update. Gonna have to retract that. I sometimes get stretches with nothing, but when I do get them, it's sometimes multiple times in a track, which can get pretty darn annoying. Mind you, this is a product with "Pure Audio" written as you open the box.

I'm curious if others found the issue better or not with the update.
Actually I have the same issue as you, right after firmware update I thought the "pops and clicks" nearly gone, in fact I still find some occassionally in sd card reading. They are still there!

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #2,954 of 6,311
I get them sometimes, not others. With so many devices in my room and my network, I have no ready way to troubleshoot the reason, even with the 2go wired.

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,955 of 6,311
I still get VP+Cs... All the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back