Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #19,981 of 35,472
The HDS1's are nice Peter, I see like me you prefer a brighter more clear and detailed sound signature as opposed to bass oriented iem's:D

Yes they are indeed, amazing what you can get for just $10 these days. I honestly don't find them brighter than the Zircons. On the contrary I actually find the treble in particular brighter and more splashy on the Zircons. No doubt that the Zircons got more subbass though :wink:

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #19,982 of 35,472
Shout out to Somic for being gracious enough to provide me with a sample of their over ear headphones the Somic V2. Man the moment I tore open the DHL box, this thing just OOZED class. Honestly this thing had better packaging and presentation than even my Sony XBA Z5. Even other more expensive headphones!

Inside there was warranty paperwork along with a card signed by the person response for inspecting the headphone. As you can see they even provided a pair of leather ear pads. The headphones themselves come with a velour pad installed. An adapter for connecting to the bigger headphone ports was also included as you can see in the pics.

5/5 for presentation.

Build quality - Solid!!

This thing feels like a TANK. I mean just look at the hinges! And the headphone padding on the top. Its so soft! It comfortably goes around my ears and I have pretty big ears btw. Build quality wise this thing is built way better than the AKG K612pro. The cable has good relief on both ends although I wish it was removable.

I know that there aren't too many open back headphones in this segment but from my first listen I have a good feeling about this, a gut feeling like I had about the LZ A2. I am listening to the Dark Matter EP by Alma, and the soundstage on this thing is impressive. I have been listening to the AKG612pro last few days and this thing EASILY keeps up and then some. In fact the sound just surrounds you. Front to back, side to side. 

These are my first impressions (using stock velour pads) and take these with a grain of salt:
I am treble sensitive and the treble bothered me on the AKG K612Pro and my Koss KSC75. The treble on the Somic V2 is detailed and extended without being harsh or splashy. And the sub bass on these 
eek.gif
. I thought sub bass were supposed to be missing in open backs? The bass is well defined and tight with good texture.  Mid range is balanced in line with the rest, detailed and engage, doesn't feel recessesed at all. In fact I would classify as the midrange as being full. Guitars sound sublime. Drum hits amazing with good decay and naturalness. 

These headphones have good bass without being mid bass heavy or too warm. It honestly feels like a hybrid, bass of a dynamic driver and treble of a balanced armature. Its a freak :wink:

Good instrument separation, good positioning and layering of instruments as well. I love how the vocals feel front and centre, just floating in front of my face. 

With the leather pads, I feel they are a bit shallow and too bassy. The Somic V2 sounds just right with the stock velour pads. The brainwave HM5 pads might make for an awesome alternative I have two pairs but their rubber band thing ripped off a while back :frowning2:  Will need to get a pair of HM5 velours and leather eventually and see how they change things. Clamp is more than the AKG K612Pro but this is right out of the box so I am anticipating it to loosen up with use.

I am running the Somic V2 out of my Geek Out V2 with line out to VE RunABOUT and it is quite detailed to my ears. Amplification helped with the sound,with  soundstage bearing the most improvement.

Will report back after burn in (brain or otherwise
tongue.gif
) and see how they settle in. 
TLDR: thing just rocks! And rocks hard 
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #19,983 of 35,472
  Shout out to Somic for being gracious enough to provide me with a sample of their over ear headphones the Somic V2. Man the moment I tore open the DHL box, this thing just OOZED class. Honestly this thing had better packaging and presentation than even my Sony XBA Z5. Even other more expensive headphones!
beerchug.gif

They seem really nice! But SOMiC, why no detachable cable? 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #19,984 of 35,472

Inside there was warranty paperwork along with a card signed by the person response for inspecting the headphone. As you can see they even provided a pair of leather ear pads. The headphones themselves come with a velour pad installed. An adapter for connecting to the bigger headphone ports was also included as you can see in the pics.

5/5 for presentation.

Build quality - Solid!!

This thing feels like a TANK. I mean just look at the hinges! And the headphone padding on the top. Its so soft! It comfortably goes around my ears and I have pretty big ears btw. Build quality wise this thing is built way better than the AKG K612pro. The cable has good relief on both ends although I wish it was removable.

I know that there aren't too many open back headphones in this segment but from my first listen I have a good feeling about this, a gut feeling like I had about the LZ A2. I am listening to the Dark Matter EP by Alma, and the soundstage on this thing is impressive. I have been listening to the AKG612pro last few days and this thing EASILY keeps up and then some. In fact the sound just surrounds you. Front to back, side to side. 

These are my first impressions (using stock velour pads) and take these with a grain of salt:
I am treble sensitive and the treble bothered me on the AKG K612Pro and my Koss KSC75. The treble on the Somic V2 is detailed and extended without being harsh or splashy. And the sub bass on these 
eek.gif
. I thought sub bass were supposed to be missing in open backs? The bass is well defined and tight with good texture.  Mid range is balanced in line with the rest, detailed and engage, doesn't feel recessesed at all. In fact I would classify as the midrange as being full. Guitars sound sublime. Drum hits amazing with good decay and naturalness. 

These headphones have good bass without being mid bass heavy or too warm. It honestly feels like a hybrid, bass of a dynamic driver and treble of a balanced armature. Its a freak :wink:

Good instrument separation, good positioning and layering of instruments as well. I love how the vocals feel front and centre, just floating in front of my face. 

With the leather pads, I feel they are a bit shallow and too bassy. The Somic V2 sounds just right with the stock velour pads. The brainwave HM5 pads might make for an awesome alternative I have two pairs but their rubber band thing ripped off a while back :frowning2:  Will need to get a pair of HM5 velours and leather eventually and see how they change things. Clamp is more than the AKG K612Pro but this is right out of the box so I am anticipating it to loosen up with use.

I am running the Somic V2 out of my Geek Out V2 with line out to VE RunABOUT and it is quite detailed to my ears. Amplification helped with the sound,with  soundstage bearing the most improvement.

Will report back after burn in (brain or otherwise
tongue.gif
) and see how they settle in. 
beerchug.gif

I own the original MH463 that look exactly the same as the V2 except for the pads. I wonder what is the difference in sound?

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #19,985 of 35,472
I own the original MH463 that look exactly the same as the V2 except for the pads. I wonder what is the difference in sound?

I'm also curious about this.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #19,987 of 35,472
  found this: http://world.taobao.com/item/42513542257.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.wFof0m

One review said it's much better than VE Zen!

Where did you read that? I couldn't find any word about ZEN.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #19,988 of 35,472
Oh, also balanced and neutral with awesome timbre and tone.

I find the bass/mid/treble balanced, but I find the timbre/tone tuned slightly too bright.  My other issues are that soundstage is not as wide as I like and vocals take a backseat; I guess I prefer more forward.  That being said, they are still amazing for the price.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #19,990 of 35,472
K. Received my VE Monks today. I'm actually speechless. 5 dollars?!! Really?!! I have Oppo Pm3's with a pure silver cable from Lavricables which set me back a hefty sum and they are, don't get me wrong, fantastic. But this is 5dollars people! I'm just finding it incredibly hard to comprehend what kind of audio quality these things throw at me for 5 dollars. I'm sitting here smiling my ass off listening to all kinds of music.

I find them a small amount bassheavy. I'm just very used to weaker bass like that of the Havi B3 pro1.

Did I say they were 5 dollars people?!?

Best bargain ever. I'm gonna order 2more pair just for the hell of it...

can I ask where did you get them from? can't find them on aliexpress.
ebay maybe?

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #19,992 of 35,472
  Boarseman K25
For Ebud lovers

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100-Original-Boarseman-K25-Hifi-In-Ear-Earphone-3-5MM-High-Qaulity-Flat-Head-Headphones-In/519064_32544413725.html

What's the point of sharing that link? He asked for Monk not some kind of boarseman earbud which will most likely sound like s****t .  Btw, have you heard them?

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #19,993 of 35,472

I'm also curious about this.

Haven't heard the MH463 to be honest so I have no idea. I can get in touch with Somic for an official answer.

found this: http://world.taobao.com/item/42513542257.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.wFof0m

One review said it's much better than VE Zen!

Lol of course they would. Thats the brand that used to make the Zen. Keyword being "used to." They went behind VE's back and started selling VE's products/components under the seaf branding undercutting them. Stealing and a bit of a dick move.

Funny thing is from what I heard even though they had access to the components they couldn't replicate the sound of the Zen 1 (not really surprised give their lack of skills lol). I would stay away from that brand personally as I don't like to reward thieves :wink:

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #19,995 of 35,472

What's the point of sharing that link? He asked for Monk not some kind of boarseman earbud which will most likely sound like s****t .  Btw, have you heard them?

I don't know about these earbuds, but boarseman CX98 is freaking awesome. I discussed it a few times just several replies back. They have a more expensive earbud model which probably sounds even better, called MX98 and the special model MX98S, and even a more expensive earphone model, called CX98S.
Just look at the wooden packaging and the build quality... I wouldn't dismiss this brand so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back