(Google is my friend.)

Hey! Here's an interesting one:

"But the fact that all things are possible is no excuse for talking foolishly."

The Economic Consequences of the Peace
by John Maynard Keynes

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Outstanding references... alas, currently using some stock cables in a pinch is bringing this home for me yet again. IMO, with MY equiptment, with MY selections of music, My source(s), etc, using the stock cable is like riding in coach. For short hauls, who cares, but when I'm flying to London or Singapore, the difference IS really noticeable. Really.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #32 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For short hauls, who cares, but when I'm flying to London or Singapore, the difference IS really noticeable. Really.

Really, why, I see that talking about DBT is a sin here, is I guess science is to.

TheOnlyOne

Apr 29, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOnlyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, why, I see that talking about DBT is a sin here, is I guess science is to.

TheOnlyOne

Intransigence reigns on both sides. I clearly state my opinion, and it somehow offends your ilk that I experience / hear / feel something, and can afford the difference.

The humor is that others go to such lengths to say it simply cannot be so, then, can't use the irrefutable, blessed DBT to 'prove' it.

If it sounds good, it is good - maybe that is what chaps you - the mere possibility that I enjoy something you can't?

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #34 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it sounds good, it is good - maybe that is what chaps you - the mere possibility that I enjoy something you can't?

Why on earth would someone who doesn't need expensive cables to enjoy music be jealous of someone who does?

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #35 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why on earth would someone who doesn't need expensive cables to enjoy music be jealous of someone who does?

Exactly - but, their posts speak for themselves... why do _they_ continue to post that we, who do, are, uh, schmucks?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #36 of 149
Quote:

Science is not banned in this forum. If someone asks if a certain cable will make a difference in sound, you are welcome to state the reasons why or why it won't make a difference, subjectively or objectively.

On the other hand, if someone wants a recommendation on a cable or are touting a specific cable, they do not want to hear people debunking cables or telling them they are wasting their money.

Apr 30, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #37 of 149
I have no objection to people who have the money and like the feel of fancy cables spending their money on that. I do object to people telling others that a particular cable will make a significant difference in their rig. That just ain't true, and there are a lot of inexperienced people who can be taken advantage of with dubious advice like that.

I have to say that it is my opinion that the hobbling of one side of the argument in this topic is commercial in origin.

See ya
Steve

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #38 of 149
Yes, it is a terrible thing to try and help someone not to send money on something that in truth does not work. We should just sit on the side line and let them send away, education means nothing, facts mean nothing, the feeling that someone has been cheated and lied to means nothing. We old people just should go to the grave and die.

TheOnlyOne

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #39 of 149
Steve, I agree with you 95%, and only comment on MY experience, and NOT that anyone should do as I say nor do.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #41 of 149
Quote:

Yes, it is a terrible thing to try and help someone not to send money on something that in truth does not work. We should just sit on the side line and let them send away, education means nothing, facts mean nothing, the feeling that someone has been cheated and lied to means nothing. We old people just should go to the grave and die.

TheOnlyOne

No, it's a "terrible thing" (actually, just a major annoyance) when someone who doesn't fill out a public profile, and who for all we know has no experience at all in high-end audio or with any of the items under discussion, joins this forum and spends his first 10 to 20 posts presuming to tell others what they should or should not do regarding cable purchases -- with no elaboration at all regarding any basis for any of the dogmatic opinions that are being expressed. I mean, we know bigshot's biases and prejudices, his background and experience, and his inability to hear certain audbile differences that are generally accepted to exist, so folks on this forum are able to give his comments the credence (or lack thereof) that they deserve. But who are you, and what do you have in your experience or background that should give what you say any weight? And, since we're talking about cables, what is your experience with cables, and with what systems and under what circumstances?

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #42 of 149
Quote:

Attachment 9584

Always remember, our senses can not be fooled.

TheOnlyOne

The optical illusion analogy has been explored at length on other threads -- and frankly, it supports the position of cable "beleivers," not skeptics. But again, you seem to think that everyone on this forum was born yesterday and don't know anything but what you so graciously bestow on us.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #43 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no objection to people who have the money and like the feel of fancy cables spending their money on that. I do object to people telling others that a particular cable will make a significant difference in their rig.

Oh, yeah, that's your motivation.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #44 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, we know bigshots biases and prejudices, and his inability to hear certain audbile differences that are generally accepted to exist, so we are able to give his comments the credence (or lack thereof) that they deserve.

I get It, if one doesn't buy into woo-woo, then they must not have a good ear, as to my history, that is mine. I guess I should use flowery words and all, and then all will be OK with you. Bigshot is correct and on the money, he sounds a lot like James Johnston, one of the big producers of MP3 and ACC. Of course what does he know, anyone could do compression on sound without knowing how hearing works. Kill the science, save the lawyer I mean snake-oil salesman.

TheOnlyOne.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #45 of 149
I just looked at your occupation, boy did I hit that in the head.

How many posts I made on this thread has nothing to do with nothing. If a child points to a blue sky and says the sky is blue, to you say, hey you don't have the time in life to know that. If you need to know, I am retired and a computer programmer. Anyone you know who gets SSA and or Tax payments, gets those payments thru many of my programs.

TheOnlyOne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back