Cheap, good-fitting IEM's.
Apr 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
Basically, I need cheap comfortable earplugs I can wear on the train or on the plane, that just happen to play music.. preferably something that's not too bassy; something I can just leave playing at low volumes, if I fall asleep on the airplane, and not get a headache when i wake up.
These are going to be worn on long-distance travels, mostly just to tune out noise, so sound quality isn't the biggest deciding factor
Previous experiences tell me that I have a really hard time with IEMs.. I struggle to get them in, they're always falling out and the cord tangles really easily, but I'm giving them another chance..
'Cheap' is subject, but I'm just trying to pay as little as possible for canal phones that does the job reasonably well, and produces decent sound for the price.

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gohanssjn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My target had Shure SE110's on clearance for $69.99. Still kicking myself for returning them (thought my set was bad, but it was my laptop's sound card).

frown.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 17
Comfortwise, you want Westone UM1s, no question. At around $80-90 used when you buy from the forums here, they're hard to beat sonically as well.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 17
RE2 - Less Bassy.. warm sounded...
something u can just leave playing at low volumes and fall asleep
what it might fail in is... tune out noise... 3db less than some others

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 17
x2 on either the RE2s ($80 via head-direct group buy) or the Denon 551s, which are around $68 on Amazon.com. I own both, and prefer the RE2s, which are warmer, less boomy than the Denons. But both are nice low-priced canalphones. If you want to use them on planes and trains, invest in some Comply T400 foamies, which almost turn them into IEMs. Much better seal than the stock silicone tips. I also owned the UM1s in the past, and sold them in a week. Way underwhelming on the mids/highs. And must be worn over the ear, though they are comfy.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 17
Good comfort and not too bassy?

Etymotic ER-6i with Shure black foams (olives). Very comfortable, very small (I think only the q-Jays are smaller) and sound excellent. I wouldn't recommend any other set of IEMs for under $100 than these.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both, and prefer the RE2s, which are warmer, less boomy than the Denons. But both are nice low-priced canalphones.

You are killing me. I don't need any more entry level canalphones, but I always seem to like the same things as you. Now I am going to have to try the RE2s!

The Denon C551 are a great entry level canalphone though. They are pretty cheap to $68:

Denon AH-C551

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gohanssjn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, the Er-6i's can use Shure olives?

I may have found my new phones.... if I decide against the SE310's >.>

Yes, ER6i can use Shure Black foam tips (so can my IM716). And, Denon C700 can use Shure orange foamies too, even if soozieq can't get them on
biggrin.gif

denon_er6i_livewires.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back