Changes at Beyerdynamic
Oct 15, 2002 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

TravelLite

100+ Head-Fier
It appears that Beyerdynamic has introduced a new headphone, the DT880. At least it's new to me!

In addition, apparently the venerable DT770 Pro and DT990 Pro now have new siblings.

For pictures and text, navigate to the HiFi and Broadcast, Video & Production sections via the menu on the homepage's right.

Although both the English and German websites appear virtually identical, the German site seems just slightly more complete.

Beyerdynamic Homepage - English Language:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/com/index.htm

Beyerdynamic Homepage - German Language:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/de/index.htm

Regarding the DT 880:
Quote:

This premium class headphone perfectly combines the strengths of open and closed headphones. The balanced reduction of environmental noise guarantees a perfect spherical sound, while the complete sound spectrum is reproduced in great detail from the lowest sub bass up to the highest frequencies. The higher frequencies are crystal-clear without being unpleasant and impress with a very smooth sound. The precise balanced mid frequencies are analytical and supportive, without being predominate. The bass is voluminous without being too obtrusive. This is a headphone for your inspiration. Our designers took different human anatomies into consideration and made the headband more variable in lengths in order to fit perfectly on everyone's head. The tight headband pressure that is used for professional versions was reduced for this version to guarantee permanent listening without a "vice-like grip". The single-sided cable plus the optional extension cable allow more freedom of movement. The revised design gives the DT 880 a modern, attractive appearance.

The package is rounded up by a stylish high quality aluminum box. In this box you can keep your headphone safe from dust and dirt and it blends perfectly into to the ambience.

DT 880 - 470.368:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/de/product/sheets/d847.php3

Regarding the DT 770 / DT 770 Pro:
Quote:

The DT 770's relationship with the open-designed DT 990 quite obvious. The DT 770, however, comes as a closed design headphone. The same superior transducer technology as in the other models combined with beyerdynamic's unique bass reflex system results in a closed headphone with an exceptional sound over the complete frequency range with a powerful reproduction of low frequencies. High frequencies are translated into an analytical, clear and distinctive sound so that even powerful descant sounds produce no screeching or clipping. Similar to the DT 880 and DT 990 the DT 770 has been optimized and improved in details and it also has a professional partner - the DT 770 PRO.

DT 770 - 470.341:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/de/product/sheets/d846.php3

DT 770 PRO - 459.046:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/de/product/sheets/d240.php3

TravelLite

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 79
Hmmm... Interesting.

Halboffener.. Wonder how halboffener...? Eggo halboffner or DT231 halboffner...?

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 79
Ooh, new toys to add to my shopping list
biggrin.gif

Methinks I'll see how soon I can get some of these to play with.

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Halboffener.. Wonder how halboffener...? Eggo halboffner or DT231 halboffner...?

Good question! Maybe Dr. Meier has some info on the DT880.

For those not fluent in German (like me), a Babel Fish translation:

Arbeitsprinzip = Work principle

DT 880 = Halboffen = Half-open
DT 990 = Offen = Openly
DT 770 = Geschlossen = Closed
DT 931 = Offen = Openly
DT 831 = Geschlossen = Closed
DT 531 = Offen = Openly

TravelLite

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 79
This relieves some of my concerns about the Beyer fitting my head.....Ihad to return the 250 because it was too tight and uncomfortable.

I have never seen pictures of the non-pro 770 and 990. Anyone hear these non-pro versions? How do they sound?

Oct 15, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 79
Approximately 15 years ago I bought myself a DT880. After I dropped it and the phone was broke it was replaced by a DT990. The new DT880 seems like a resurrection of this old model, like the new DT990 (250 Ohm) is of the old DT990 (600 Ohm) model. I didn't get any information from the Beyerdynamic representative yet, but I'll ask him tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jan

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 79
Were there sonic differences when the other Pro models were introduced?

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 79
IS the new 770 Pro different from the old?

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 79
Dear Head-fizers,

I just had a conversation with the Beyerdynamic representative.

Apparently the new DT880 will appear in november. Although it has the same name as a previous old model it is a new development and should represent the new top-of-the-line of Beyerdynamic. The MSRP will be EUR 249,- ($245,-)

Cheers,

Jan

Oct 16, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 79
TravelLite and Jan,

thanks for the info! If the new semi-open 880 ought to be the best of both worlds as Beyer claims - very interesting. And it seems with the new non-Pro 770 and 990, Beyer has answered the common complaints about the clamping pressure and the headband that's too short for big-headed people (both things have never been a problem for me, though). I wonder whether reading threads at Head-Fi has influenced Beyer's decisions... Would be a reassuring thought, wouldn't it? Manufacturers listen to us!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back