Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Feb 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,096 of 1,326
THank you drsheep.
So for the LX version, if using the cck, the ipod still be able to use on it, correct?

With the current flavor of IOS7, it works great, spectacular considering ExpactJapan is running 24/192 tracks that way.  But Apple could easily kill it with any update.  And any Apple player that can't run IOS7 cannot, and that includes the Classic.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,100 of 1,326
Long wait though...wait until April...
frown.gif

True, I ordered mine back in Oct and just gotten it a month ago.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,102 of 1,326
THank you drsheep.
So for the LX version, if using the cck, the ipod still be able to use on it, correct?

With the current flavor of IOS7, it works great, spectacular considering ExpactJapan is running 24/192 tracks that way.  But Apple could easily kill it with any update.  And any Apple player that can't run IOS7 cannot, and that includes the Classic.
good points here.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,105 of 1,326
  I have been looking for a an ipod classic 160gb to use with the CEntrance HiFi-M8.......which version would be the best to use with my Alpha Dogs?

The iPod classic doesn't IOS7, so do not use an LX model.  Make sure you have an iDevice model.  I believe all Classics gen 6 or newer will work...

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,106 of 1,326
I’d like to order a HiFi M8……..confused on which one I need.  So, I have some MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs on the way, expected mid march.  I want to use them with the CEntrance M8 but I don’t have an iPod yet.  Here is what I’d like to do.  I would like the use the CEntrance with my iMac for playback of my hires files at home using the dac and amp in the CEntrance………..but I’d also like to use the M8 for on the go but don’t have an iPod.  Which iPod classic variant do I want to look for to use with my Hifi?  I was reading in hifi.org that there are/were some problems using advices and 24/96 file support playback……?  I also have an android device, a Nexus 5 but I haven’t read if the HiFi M8 will work with all android devices.  Basically, which iPod Classic, ( the 160GB ) variety should I be looking for?

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,107 of 1,326
  I’d like to order a HiFi M8……..confused on which one I need.  So, I have some MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs on the way, expected mid march.  I want to use them with the CEntrance M8 but I don’t have an iPod yet.  Here is what I’d like to do.  I would like the use the CEntrance with my iMac for playback of my hires files at home using the dac and amp in the CEntrance………..but I’d also like to use the M8 for on the go but don’t have an iPod.  Which iPod classic variant do I want to look for to use with my Hifi?  I was reading in hifi.org that there are/were some problems using advices and 24/96 file support playback……?  I also have an android device, a Nexus 5 but I haven’t read if the HiFi M8 will work with all android devices.  Basically, which iPod Classic, ( the 160GB ) variety should I be looking for?

You have a lot going on in your post, so I'll try and break it down to help:

Alpha Dogs - you can get them terminated in 1/4" or 4 pin XLR.  I don't know which way you ordered, but a 4 pin XLR model will accept either termination.

iMac - all the HiFi-M8s will work with iMacs, no drivers required, via USB.  You will need to check and see if your iMac has Toslink in the headphone port like most Mac laptops do, if you want to use optical input on the LX models.  But, since you can use USB, I consider it a non-issue.

iPod Classic - there isn't a 160gb stock Classic that won't work with the M8.  I'm not sure how you are shopping for your iPod, but be careful of modded iPods.  Many are older models (like 5th or 5.5 gen) that had bigger hard drives added.  Avoid those just because they won't work with the HiFi-M8.  Now for the bad news.  24/96 support for iDevices isn't out yet.  CEntrance is still promising its in the works, but not yet.  More bad news.  I'm quite sure iPod Classics will never be able to play more then 16/48 files without down sampling.  That's is merely my opinion/assumption at this point.  CEntrance has made a release yet, so we are all in the dark.  I just believe that you'll need to run IOS7 to make higher sample rates possible, and Classics run their own unique firmware, not any IOS.

Nexus 5 - I'm not sure if any members confirmed success with the Nexus 5, but considering its the purest form of Android, without the phone manufacturer adding their own garbage, I would expect it would run fine through the USB A port, which is in all HiFi-M8s.

I'm just going to throw this out there.  ExpactinJapan has succeeded in playing up to 24/192 with Flac Player App from 2 different IOS7 devices, a 5th gen iPod Touch, and an iPhone 4S I believe.  He's using the Camera Connection Kit (CCK), into USB A, which is the same port you will use with your iMac and Nexus 5.  USB A is on all models of the HiFi-M8.  Depending on you library size, maybe you can go iPod Touch instead?

I'm just going to throw another idea out there.  I'm convinced that a 128gb iPod Touch is not far away.  This is pure speculation on my behalf, as I'm far from an industry insider, but there have been signs of such an upgrade is soon to happen.

Good luck...

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,110 of 1,326

I'm just going to throw this out there.  ExpactinJapan has succeeded in playing up to 24/192 with Flac Player App from 2 different IOS7 devices, a 5th gen iPod Touch, and an iPhone 4S I believe.  He's using the Camera Connection Kit (CCK), into USB A, which is the same port you will use with your iMac and Nexus 5.  USB A is on all models of the HiFi-M8.  

Added your post to the FAQs on page one
http://www.head-fi.org/t/662881/centrance-hifi-m8-and-hifi-m8-lx-8-versions-incoming-impressions-and-appreciation-thread#post_9415206

One change, I tested Touch5G up to 24/192, and only tested iphone4 (not 4S) up to 24/96 via USB-type B.

USB-B is on all types of Hifi-M8.

I need to update it sometime(the FAQs).

///////////////////////////

There is also the Hifi-M8 wiki
http://centrance.laurenson.com/index.php?title=Contents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back