Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,081 of 1,326
gy9y9eqy.jpg

Iphone 4 with Hifi-m8 via CCK.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #1,083 of 1,326
  Spammed this here and there already today.

Check it out 24/96!
24/96!

Apple touch 5G running latest OS, Flacplayer app, Hifi-m8 (idevice version) to CCK (Apple camera connection kit).

24/96 :wink:

Respect...

All I can say departed from the glorious pics. Pixies.. So cool.. Didn't see that coming...

I was so lucky to experience the PIXIES live just two weeks ago here in the US, middle of nowhere but WOW, waited for this for decades.. Two months from now I will see The Dream Syndicate in Europe and my source into the M8 will be loaded..

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,084 of 1,326
Expat's recent posts got me thinking about playing hirez on the iTouch 5G / M8, but I'm pursuing a streaming route rather than putting those huge files on my very finite / limited iTouch storage.

To that end, I made a couple of interesting discoveries tonight...

To stream audio to the iTouch / M8 from my local server, I've been using the iPeng Classic app.  It's controller and playback software that reads from Logitech's / Slim Devices / Squeezebox Media Server.

I paid the $4.99 for the playback functionality, and it's worked perfectly to stream all Redbook / Hirez audio to my iTouch.

Question 1 - does anyone know to what degree the audio is downsampled or is kept / streamed native?

My first "discovery" is tied to another piece of software, JRiver18, which many of us know well.  After owning / using this for years, I only just recently activated its media streaming functions.  Bloody hell, it's pretty damn cool, I'm kicking myself for not using it sooner.

Anyway.  Using JRiver on my desktop, now with media sharing activated, there are any manner of networked DLNA devices showing up as "play to" devices from JRiver.  With the iTouch on wifi, it doesn't show up in my JRiver play to list.

Discovery #1 -- when I launch iPeng on the iTouch, the iTouch then shows up as a play to device in JRiver.  Pretty cool...  I've already been able to sit at my desk, and control the iPeng iTouch / M8 audio from a web browser using the Logitech server software.

Now I can also control / stream music to the iTouch / M8 directly from JRiver desktop.  (When I switch away from iPeng on the iTouch, the iTouch drops from the JRiver play to list)

And so, Discovery #2.  The audio quality (both Redbook & hirez) is appreciably better being streamed from JRiver vs. streamed from the Logitech server web browser player.

Someone else is doing all this too, right?  Also, similar question as above: does JRiver stream the native hirez to the iTouch or is it being downsampled?  

Away from the desktop, I use JRiver's Android Gizmo app on my Nexus 7 to control the music streamed from the music library / JRiver to the wifi'd iTouch / M8.  

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,087 of 1,326
So you are going in via the computer USB port it looks like when using the CCK?  Ok..does it stop at 24/96 or can we get all the way up to 24/192?  Is it a limitation of FLAC player if we cannot?  Also has anyone confirmed this on other iOS devices?

Why all of this is being discovered while I am away from home and on the road for work...Ill never know but its quite aggravating that I cant test any of this myself for weeks.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,088 of 1,326
  Expat's recent posts got me thinking about playing hirez on the iTouch 5G / M8, but I'm pursuing a streaming route rather than putting those huge files on my very finite / limited iTouch storage.

To that end, I made a couple of interesting discoveries tonight...

To stream audio to the iTouch / M8 from my local server, I've been using the iPeng Classic app.  It's controller and playback software that reads from Logitech's / Slim Devices / Squeezebox Media Server.

I paid the $4.99 for the playback functionality, and it's worked perfectly to stream all Redbook / Hirez audio to my iTouch.

Question 1 - does anyone know to what degree the audio is downsampled or is kept / streamed native?

My first "discovery" is tied to another piece of software, JRiver18, which many of us know well.  After owning / using this for years, I only just recently activated its media streaming functions.  Bloody hell, it's pretty damn cool, I'm kicking myself for not using it sooner.

Anyway.  Using JRiver on my desktop, now with media sharing activated, there are any manner of networked DLNA devices showing up as "play to" devices from JRiver.  With the iTouch on wifi, it doesn't show up in my JRiver play to list.

Discovery #1 -- when I launch iPeng on the iTouch, the iTouch then shows up as a play to device in JRiver.  Pretty cool...  I've already been able to sit at my desk, and control the iPeng iTouch / M8 audio from a web browser using the Logitech server software.

Now I can also control / stream music to the iTouch / M8 directly from JRiver desktop.  (When I switch away from iPeng on the iTouch, the iTouch drops from the JRiver play to list)

And so, Discovery #2.  The audio quality (both Redbook & hirez) is appreciably better being streamed from JRiver vs. streamed from the Logitech server web browser player.

Someone else is doing all this too, right?  Also, similar question as above: does JRiver stream the native hirez to the iTouch or is it being downsampled?  

Away from the desktop, I use JRiver's Android Gizmo app on my Nexus 7 to control the music streamed from the music library / JRiver to the wifi'd iTouch / M8.  

Now set up a VPN tunnel to your home network and let us know if it works away from home as well =)

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #1,089 of 1,326
So you are going in via the computer USB port it looks like when using the CCK?  Ok..does it stop at 24/96 or can we get all the way up to 24/192?  Is it a limitation of FLAC player if we cannot?  Also has anyone confirmed this on other iOS devices?

Why all of this is being discovered while I am away from home and on the road for work...Ill never know but its quite aggravating that I cant test any of this myself for weeks.
if someone can send me different sized files i can test them out. In FLAC please.

Message me.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,091 of 1,326

Thanks for the help via messaging.

the Verdict

Apple Touch 5G to hifi-M8 via CCK.
Flacplayer app.

OS 7.0.4

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,092 of 1,326
  Now set up a VPN tunnel to your home network and let us know if it works away from home as well =)

Using a 4G mobile hotspot, I remotely connected my iTouch / iPad to my home PC using Splashtop.  Using the touch controls, I was able to control and listen to JRiver.  I had to change the JRiver output from wasapi to direct sound, to allow Spashtop to stream audio.  Other PC audio apps like MOG worked as well.

Given the remote streaming circumstances, the SQ was ok.  T-Mobile 4G in my area is 30/10, so I had enough bandwidth to play both 44/96 tracks, but again, I'm not sure to what degree the music is being down-rez'd, by what HW/SW.

Further, the music was pretty clearly compressed by Splashtop, as I could hear the telltale slight gurgle compression artifacts in the audio.  Still, bottom line, I was able to play / stream 44/96 audio away from home.   

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,094 of 1,326
I am little bit confuse here, so the m8(not the LX version) also work well with the android phone like note 2 and 3?
If yes, then the m8 seems like a more versatile device than Lx, yes?

Thanks!

Actually the LX is better with its optical in, and both the LX and non-LX M8 can handle Android with OTG (and iPod with CCK) from it's USB port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back