Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
May 13, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 1,326
Lurking

May 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #32 of 1,326
I'm also curious about the LX model now.  How would players like the AK100 connect to one of these bad boys?

May 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #35 of 1,326
Sign me up for that! I want to plug it into my high end home rig and see how it stacks up.

Michael, I will be at room 532 of the Hilton of T.H.E. Show Newport Beach , we are trying for best sound of show. After the long day, why don't you stop by for a beer and let's plug your hi-fi M8 into the big rig!

Here is your signal chain MacBook Pro retina 15" Audioirvana or pure music running 24/192 files, Hi-Fi M8, Wells power conditioning, highly modded Audible Illusions 3 tube pre-amp (wait until you see our beer can sized Duelund caps on that one! ) , MIT top the the line interconnect, $20,000 Cary single ended triode model 211 monoblocks, MIT $42,000 speaker cable, Chapman T9-MKII or our T-7 or T-8MKII.

We are pulling all the stops out to try and get best sound of show. Or budget for cable + power conditioning is I think... well over $100k, and so on... It may seem silly to do that for our T-8MKII ($9995) or even our T-9 MKII ($20,000) but we want to show that our great audio will not hit a glass ceiling and can continue to sound better as you up the source.

I also want to be able to recommend an unheard of musicality to dollar system...something along the lines of one of your units and some reasonable amp with 75 watts of tube amplification or 85-150 watts of solid state with great dynamic headroom .

So why not try that with your little marvel? It might be some good insight into your product, and of course- it will be totally private closed doors so you can do what you like. Just thought, after this long journey, you might want to sit back relax and listen to your new baby. We have tons of cold beer too.

Or system is cabled single ended unbalanced , but we may have a balanced option for you. You will only need to bring something thwt connects to your M8 and terminates in RCA. I haven't asked the owner about it yet (but he is super cool), but I like the way you voice things...if we can retain musicality and package a sub 12k system that would be super cool. Our speakers have no problems taking down competitors costing 7 times more.

Besides.... It's something I would probably enjoy running myself as the secondary system in my home. For my GF your HI-Fi M8 will likely be the core of her three systems...car, ski home, and portable systems...she is suuuuuuper picky when it comes to sound..I spoiled her rotten.

This is an unabashedly self motivated, post, I just want to hear your M8 and will do anything to entice you to bring it by. Oh, free beer! (Mentioned beer 3 times in this post).

May 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #36 of 1,326
Quote:
I'm also curious about the LX model now.  How would players like the AK100 connect to one of these bad boys?

Unless the AK100 has a USB OTG that can act as a digital output in addition to receiving data files and power from the host, it appears that the only digital out is via mini optical SPDIF, like the M8 combo TRS jack.  So you'd need a [size=11pt]mini to Toslink adapter FO cable[/size], a [size=11pt]Toslink to RCA SPDIF converter[/size]and an RCA digital cable to the LX M8.

In a Candidesque world, the LX model should be able to receive both SPDIF coax and optical inputs, since the optical/coax SPDIF converter needs an external DC power supply, ala wallwart or an external battery pack, and your "portable" rig becomes untenable, or at minimum, cumbersome to transport.   

May 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #37 of 1,326
Quote:

Unless the AK100 has a USB OTG that can act as a digital output in addition to receiving data files and power from the host, it appears that the only digital out is via mini optical SPDIF, like the M8 combo TRS jack.  So you'd need a [size=11pt]mini to Toslink adapter FO cable[/size], a [size=11pt]Toslink to RCA SPDIF converter[/size]and an RCA digital cable to the LX M8.

In a Candidesque world, the LX model should be able to receive both SPDIF coax and optical inputs, since the optical/coax SPDIF converter needs an external DC power supply, ala wallwart or an external battery pack, and your "portable" rig becomes untenable, or at minimum, cumbersome to transport.   

Sounds complicated.  I thought this port would be a port for portable devices.  Kind of a "anything but iPod" jack, to counter the standard M8...

May 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #38 of 1,326
There's a [size=11pt]Meizu MX 4-Core[/size] smartphone available with native audio file resolution SPDIF output, albeit in a USB MHL format.  This would, however, require some sort of SPDIF MHL to RCA serial bridge controller device a/o adapter cable.  I get the firm impression that Meizu is not going to release any such product accessory any time soon, so that the SPDIF MHL/RCA bridge adapter would need to be an aftermarket product or DIY project.

Might be still worth pursuing, considering the resources we have accessible on this board.  Perhaps some member would start producing these add-on circuit devices/adapter cables or mods if the demand was strong enough. 

So far the the prevailing port-to-port "anything but ipod" alternative is the USB B input connection, for Samsung galaxy/android/etc. smartphones and PC tablets and things of that ilk.  And you can stll get the idevice USB A connection to boot.   

May 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #39 of 1,326
I'm curious why the port is even there.  If it also has a mini USB, then why does it need a second way to anchor itself down to a complex desktop setup?

Maybe Michael will comment on this, in the coming days...

May 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #40 of 1,326
I've just been recalibrated by Michael.  It turns out that the LX SPDIF input is optical, presumably Toslink.  So you don't need the externally powered SPDIF media converter in the signal train, just a good mini optical to Toslink FO digital cable, such as the first link I posted above.  Straightforward enough.

I have already bought the armored version (for the M8 digital out), since it didn't cost any more than the other, and FO cable is susceptible to signal attentuation/degradation with mashing or other mechanical deformations.  

May 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #41 of 1,326
Quote:
This is an unabashedly self motivated, post, I just want to hear your M8 and will do anything to entice you to bring it by. Oh, free beer! (Mentioned beer 3 times in this post).

Try the S/PDIF input version both from the USB and different transports or USB converters. That's what I'm going to do.

May 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #42 of 1,326
I have several cables to try, a Wireworld Supernova 1meter...it should be longer to stop producing reflections in the cable that could cause artifacts...IME updates happen in the first 4 years...then the manufacturer moves ll beyond it.... Happened to me with my "future proof" Wadia 860...2 years later became the 860x, and then I had to get USB implemented. But good audio products do last..this CD player has lasted almost 20 years and stands up to anything today in its original price range.

May 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #43 of 1,326
I have several cables to try, a Wireworld Supernova 6 1 meter...it should be longer to stop producing reflections in the cable that could cause artifacts...IME updates happen in the first 4 years...then the manufacturer moves ll beyond it.... Happened to me with my "future proof" Wadia 860...2 years later became the 860x, and then I had to get USB implemented. But good audio products do last..this CD player has lasted almost 20 years and stands up to anything today in its original price range.

Golden Ears, thanks for your invitation.

CEntrance will be at the Atrium hotel inside the "headphonium ballroom", next to our friends from Audeze, ALO and others. They are doing something similar to RMAF and congregating all headphone companies together. I may be able to stop by for a beer on Friday night, pending any other last-minute events, but may I request that you kindly stop by our booth to meet. I may not have time to run over to he Hilton. It may get busy.

May 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #44 of 1,326
Quote:

I have already bought the armored version (for the M8 digital out), since it didn't cost any more than the other, and FO cable is susceptible to signal attentuation/degradation with mashing or other mechanical deformations.  

so the Hifi-M8 is getting the combo 1/8" digital out after all?
size]

May 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #45 of 1,326
Always had it, or from at least pages starting at 19 thru 25 & 34 of the previous M8 thread.

That is, the 1/8"/3.5 mm TRS HP analog outlet jack is in fact a dual function combo phone jack, in that it also accepts a mini optical S/PDIF connecter FO cable so that the digital output can be brought out to an external DAC & amp.  Thus utilizing the M8 as a USB to optical SPDIF DDC.

Thanks, and a tip o' the hat to HeadphoneAddict/Larry (and Armaegis). And of course Michael re. crowdsourcing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back