CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jun 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #361 of 1,412
I see. It's not strange considering the REGA DAC is 10x the size of DACMINI, and it doesn't include a headphone amp. Further, it's more expensive too.

In terms of soundstage, which has the most expansive soundstage of REGA DAC and DACMINI?

From what I've read I go the impression DACMINI had a relatively wide soundstage. I should listen to it myself. It's just that I have to order overseas.

Quote:
I personally like the Rega DAC more, especially in bass.  Still, it depends on the listener and the music choices, and how it fits in to the overall rig.  I'd do a listen to both this weekend to double-check, but my Rega DAC is out for warranty repair/replacement right now.  Boooo.

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #362 of 1,412
Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying the DACmini and was wondering if anyone has tried the premium power supply - if so was it worth the extra? Also as I live in the UK will I need to buy an adaptor for the mains or will the power supply (which is worldwide) be suitable?

Thanks for any comments

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #363 of 1,412

Quote:
Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying the DACmini and was wondering if anyone has tried the premium power supply - if so was it worth the extra?

I wasn't aware they offered a premium power supply???

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #364 of 1,412
The default power supply bundled with the Dacmini IS the "Premium Stability" power supply.
It's a bigger power brick that has a DC connector on one end (connects to Dacmini) and an male IEC socket on the other end (to power cable).

You plug the mains side of an IEC appliance lead to the wall, and the IEC side to the power supply.

This way you've got a truly universal power supply- you just replace the cable! 
eg. here's an Australian IEC cable:

For travellers wanting a smaller power brick, there is a smaller "low noise" power supply.
It's got a DC connector on one end, and a US 2 prong (ungrounded) connector on the other:

So it's more compact, and for mobile people it's 1 less cable to carry/remember.

But rest assured it will just as suitable as to the original power supply. In terms of quality you don't have to worry whether you should use the Premium or the Standard or even anything you already have laying around at home. A laboratory grade variable power supply (typical technician/engineer's toolbox) isn't going to improve it's either sound either.

Premium, or Standard is just way to differentiate the two.

Truth is, Dacmini does it's own DC/DC conversion and will work reliably with a wide range of power supplies. (9VDC to 19VDC)

It's a bit like other switch mode power supplies, eg. your laptop power's brick- take a look at it sometime. It can convert anything from 110V to 240VAC, 50 or 60Hz to the appropriate DC voltages to power your laptop.

But I'm sure uncertainty, doubt or curiosity will creep in and people are bound to try other power supplies, linear power supplies, battery power etc. And you'll hear raving testimonials about how the soundstage opened  up or that bass got tighter etc.

You might as well opt for a black Dacmini, for a blacker background between the notes.

Me, I prefer silver, since it always sounds cleaner.
wink.gif

[edit for clarity; images 1,2,4 (c) Centrance]

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #365 of 1,412
Well, I am absolutely certain now that I prefer the DACmini headphone output to drive my JH13Pro custom IEM vs my balanced SR-71b or Pico Slim amps (even with DACmini RCA out feeding the other amps).  The dynamic headroom is greater, and the power output without distortion is higher.  Plus, it awakens the JH13Pro mids that seem slightly lacking with the Pico Slim, and improves the bass impact and depth over the SR-71b.  It's the closest I've heard to my Woo WA6 or Eddie Current ZDT driving the JH13Pro, both of which I previously reported were my favorites with the JH13Pro.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #367 of 1,412

Has anyone on this thread bought a DACmini recently? I'm curious as to how long it took you to get one... I ordered 10 days ago and haven't recieved a tracking number yet. Does it usually take a while?

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #369 of 1,412
Micheal Goodman sent me a tracking number about 5 minutes after me posting my previous question.

Looks like my Dacmini is on it's way, but because it was shipped USPS, it gets handed over to Canada Post, which is on strike right now.
I can't wait to get my hands on the unit, as It's not just a hobby for me, I'm on my headphones 8 hours a day! Can't wait to start working on a better headphone system.
Has anyone tried both the Dacmini and the Mytek Stereo96 DAC? They seem to be very similar in many ways, and I like mytek converters...

Cheers,
-D

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #370 of 1,412

Quote:
Looks like my Dacmini is on it's way, but because it was shipped USPS, it gets handed over to Canada Post, which is on strike right now.

I don't think the strike should pose much of an issue, they're still delivering 3 days a week with I gather rotating strike days in different cities/provinces. If I didn't hear about it on the radio I probably wouldn't even know the difference.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #372 of 1,412

Quote:
I don't think the strike should pose much of an issue, they're still delivering 3 days a week with I gather rotating strike days in different cities/provinces. If I didn't hear about it on the radio I probably wouldn't even know the difference.

It shipped on the 15th and it still hasn't officially entered Canada (though USPS says it's "left the United States".... suspense is killing me.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #373 of 1,412

Quote:

It shipped on the 15th and it still hasn't officially entered Canada (though USPS says it's "left the United States".... suspense is killing me.

I hadn't realized, there's actually a lock out now so it looks like mail will be very limited for awhile. I just tried Canada Post's website to see the status but the info page won't load.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #374 of 1,412
I've had the DACmini for a couple of months now and I love it.  I have a pair of LCD-2s and there is no question that the DACmini is a good match.  Everything sounds musical and yet detailed at the same time.  I've resisted commenting on it because I haven't spent much time using it as a headphone amp yet (most of my music listening is through speakers).  But what appeals to me most about the DACmini is its versatility.

I ordered the variable out version and I have to say that as a preamp the unit is fantastic.  Right now I'm using it as a preamp in my 'vintage' system consisting of a restored Dynaco 70 driving a pair of Spica TC-50s.  I love tubes and the Dynaco/Spica combo is peanut butter and jam.  I use USB in on the DACmini for itunes, optical in for DVD/CD and the RCA in for my phono stage and turntable.  The sound is transparent and totally engaging.  And I find the DAC does a great job with my budget DVD player and lossless music files.

The only caveat is that there is no true on/off switch so the computer has to be on (or you have to unplug the power cable and plug it back in) to fire up the DACmini.

I was drawn to the unit for its compatability with the LCD-2s, but the biggest surprise is its preamp functionality.  For $795, the DACmini is outstanding value.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #375 of 1,412
Like i found out recently you can put the DACmini into standby by turning the input selector knob all the way right or left. Since mines selected on USB, just turn it right a little more and the white light will go off :wink:

Quote:
I've had the DACmini for a couple of months now and I love it.  I have a pair of LCD-2s and there is no question that the DACmini is a good match.  Everything sounds musical and yet detailed at the same time.  I've resisted commenting on it because I haven't spent much time using it as a headphone amp yet (most of my music listening is through speakers).  But what appeals to me most about the DACmini is its versatility.

I ordered the variable out version and I have to say that as a preamp the unit is fantastic.  Right now I'm using it as a preamp in my 'vintage' system consisting of a restored Dynaco 70 driving a pair of Spica TC-50s.  I love tubes and the Dynaco/Spica combo is peanut butter and jam.  I use USB in on the DACmini for itunes, optical in for DVD/CD and the RCA in for my phono stage and turntable.  The sound is transparent and totally engaging.  And I find the DAC does a great job with my budget DVD player and lossless music files.

The only caveat is that there is no true on/off switch so the computer has to be on (or you have to unplug the power cable and plug it back in) to fire up the DACmini.

I was drawn to the unit for its compatability with the LCD-2s, but the biggest surprise is its preamp functionality.  For $795, the DACmini is outstanding value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back