CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
May 30, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #332 of 1,412
I prefer the black one too and if it were available back then I surely would have chosen that!! However, I took advantage of the free shipping offered back in April so I don't regret at all
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #333 of 1,412
This is old news dude... :)

Quote:

Guys, I believe it's their new version of the Mini called the Dacmini PX.  According to their blog, it will have a Class D speaker amp built in.  http://centrance.com/blog/2011/05/08/tokyo-headphone-fest/

Ahhh yes i got the free shipping aswell! I forgot about that! Saved a fair amount :D
Quote:
I prefer the black one too and if it were available back then I surely would have chosen that!! However, I took advantage of the free shipping offered back in April so I don't regret at all
biggrin.gif

After listening to my HE-500's through this dac/amp i feel that i have definitely found the perfect sound ive been after! My gosh this little thing is quite amazing for such a small little piece. I cannot turn the volume knob past 2 oclock as its to loud. I must say the HE500s keep changing and gettting better and better. Great combo!

May 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #334 of 1,412
After following this thread for the last couple months, I took the plunge and sold my Burson 160D for one of these.  I look forward to hearing my LCD-2's on it later this week.  I loved my 160D but want to try something else and also have a combo that can also be a stand-alone dac.

May 31, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #335 of 1,412
I read 100's of posts.  I ultimately decided on the Dacmini.  I am completely satisfied with the Dacmini - LCD2 combination.  That said, the Burson 160D was my second choice.  I would love to compare the 2 amps/dacs.  I hope you will post your comparative impressions.

Quote:
After following this thread for the last couple months, I took the plunge and sold my Burson 160D for one of these.  I look forward to hearing my LCD-2's on it later this week.  I loved my 160D but want to try something else and also have a combo that can also be a stand-alone dac.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #338 of 1,412

Quote:
Quote:
I searched but may have missed a hit, so pardon the question if already answered.  

Will the Dacmini adequately drive the HE-6?  If not, what about the HE-500?

Thanks

It will definitely power the HE 500, not sure about the HE 6 though.

Thanks, MT.  Did you by chance compare your HE500 to the HE6 and/or LCD2?  I'm happy with my LCD2 + Dacmini but, with above 11k Hz frequency hearing loss and bilateral tinnitus, I'm interested in either the HE500 or HE-6.  That said, I don't know if brighter cans would be any more enjoyable for me than the LCD2's.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #339 of 1,412
I didn't get to compare, but from what I remember I got the HE 500 over the LCD 2. One reason being because they were a great contrast to my D7000. 

The HE 500 is probably my favorite headphone after owning them for a few weeks, but I'm eager to try theLCD 2s again now that I know what to look for.

Quote:

Thanks, MT.  Did you by chance compare your HE500 to the HE6 and/or LCD2?  I'm happy with my LCD2 + Dacmini but, with above 11k Hz frequency hearing loss and bilateral tinnitus, I'm interested in either the HE500 or HE-6.  That said, I don't know if brighter cans would be any more enjoyable for me than the LCD2's.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #340 of 1,412

Quote:
I searched but may have missed a hit, so pardon the question if already answered.  

Will the Dacmini adequately drive the HE-6?  If not, what about the HE-500?

Thanks

With a gain of 8 it can drive the HE-6 to normal volumes, but not as powerfully as would be optimal.  It drives the HE-500 much better.  

Quote:

I posted impressions of HE-500 and comparisons using DACmini here:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549413/hifiman-introduces-new-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones/585#post_7515669  The HE-500 will be a little brighter than the LCD-2, and the HE-6 will be a little brighter than the HE-500.  I don't think either is excessively bright, and if you have a high freq hearing loss like me then the HiFiMan orthos would be a better choice.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #342 of 1,412
Just received my DACmini and after warming it up for 10 minutes, listened to a couple songs with my LCD-2.  Sounds great so far!  Extremely smooth with a black background and it really shows off the speed of the LCD-2.  Question though.  It seems there is no on/off switch, do any of you guys leave it plugged in 24/7?  I don't want to constantly plug it in but also don't want to damage it in any way.....

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #343 of 1,412
Removed post... :)
Quote:
Just received my DACmini and after warming it up for 10 minutes, listened to a couple songs with my LCD-2.  Sounds great so far!  Extremely smooth with a black background and it really shows off the speed of the LCD-2.  Question though.  It seems there is no on/off switch, do any of you guys leave it plugged in 24/7?  I don't want to constantly plug it in but also don't want to damage it in any way.....

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #345 of 1,412

Quote:
is DACmini supposed to be more powerful than DACport?

but when I read at their site, both of them have the same max power output: 1,5 watt.

I get confuse here

The DACmini clearly seems more powerful to me, with a variety of low and high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back