CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
May 24, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #317 of 1,412
Hi, ok it doesnt work yet after all. I get an irrecoverable playback error in foobar with the message ASIO none of the input channels are assigned to device channels. There is an output page for virtual devices and I can edit the centrance virtual device but there I do indeed see two channels in a combo box but cant really do anything with them. Can anyone point me to or give me instructions on how to set this up properly? Thanks, Greetings, Anouk,

May 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #318 of 1,412
Anouk,

I got the same error message the first time I tried as well, although I was using ASIO4All and not the CEntrance ASIO driver.  In Foobar under Playback->Output->ASIO Virtual Devices I deleted the default entry and added a new one and configured it to use the DACmini and then it worked ok.  I'll try to get some screen caps when I'm back in the office.

May 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #319 of 1,412
Hi Jay and all,

Could you tell me how much output (mW) it churn out to 50, 300 and 600 respectively.  I saw it on the website "1.5W (total), drives 32...600 Ohm headphones", but I don't understand as it is quite general.

And for the line out, what's the voltage out?  I'm not quite understand "+6.0dBV (RCA outputs)", also the output impedance for the RCA out.

Thanks in advance!

May 27, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #321 of 1,412
Hi,
Since this morning I am experiencing some problems with m dacmini. Everything worked fine until my toshiba tecra broke down. I had to unplug the usb and the dac didnt work anymore so I put it in the wall socket instead of a shared power output. It worked again but it gave a humming and crackling sound throughout my speakers. I had not heard this before while the unit had its shared power connecter on a power slitter or extension cord however you call it. I then also gave my preamp a wall output but the hum remains. I tried my other laptop because before when the dac was plugged into usb there was no hum but the hum is still remaining. It gets louder when i turn up the volume of my preamp. I do not hear the hum through headphones but the dac is mainly meant to use with speakers.
Greetings, Anouk,

May 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #323 of 1,412
Received my DACmini couple of days ago 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Opened up, condition is excellent, no scratch or blemish whatsoever. Got USB cable and power adapter but no power cord. The power cord is not an issue with me because the cord probably can't be use in my region and I'll be powering it with Energizer powerpack anyway. I need to comment on the aluminium casing though. The finish looks kind of "lower" grade than anodized ones. I think some of the chinese made amps have better finish. If it's going to match the Mac mini, I think the finish is not up to scratch. Asthetics aside, build is excellent.

Listening "fresh" from the box with line out from Squeezebox Touch, the first word that came to my mind was "TRANSPARENCY". Excellent clarity and very detailed, more so compared to the Solo SRG II. SRG II has more body and tonally richer in the mids whereas DACmini sounds leaner. However with the transparency and clarity, I'll choose the DACmini over the SRG II and this is even before burn-in.

Using coaxial digital out from SB Touch to DACmini brought more body to mids. The DAC in the CEntrance is clearly more superior. Imaging, focus and soundstaging are so much better. There is a very slight problem though, whether it's through the S/PDIF coaxial in or the line in, the vocals seems to be slightly off center to the left whereas my previous experience with my other amps have the vocals at the center. Not sure is it because of slight channel imbalance. Need to burn in some more and try other source.

I'm listening using the Audeze LCD2 and finally understand why there are a number of Audeze LCD2 owners using DACmini. It brought the LCD2 to a new level and brought me to a new realm of enjoyment.
o2smile.gif

May 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #324 of 1,412
It matches the old Mac Mini which had a finish much like the DACmini from what I can see in pictures. It's not made to match the 2010 Mini from what I can tell.

Quote:
Received my DACmini couple of days ago 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Opened up, condition is excellent, no scratch or blemish whatsoever. Got USB cable and power adapter but no power cord. The power cord is not an issue with me because the cord probably can't be use in my region and I'll be powering it with Energizer powerpack anyway. I need to comment on the aluminium casing though. The finish looks kind of "lower" grade than anodized ones. I think some of the chinese made amps have better finish. If it's going to match the Mac mini, I think the finish is not up to scratch. Asthetics aside, build is excellent.

May 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #325 of 1,412
Have a dacmini, bought it last month, liked it a lot with usb, so tried to go to coax to see how it sounds with 24/192 hdtracks downloads, using windows 7 and ubuntu linux 10.04 LTS. Sound quality was a step up from usb when using coax for 16/44 and 16/48, 24/96 sounded 'cleaner', 'smoother' more enjoyable with spdif.

When using 24/192 get a perodic 'click' around every 4 seconds which is very annyoying, it seem to be present only when playing music and drops off when music is stopped or the track ends. I am using a dell inspiron 1720 with their spdif coax out adaptor [and dual boot windows 7/ubuntu linux] and is present under both oses so not sure if it is a laptop issue or a dacmini issue, have disabled the mixer and set windows 7 audio playback properties to enable all avaliable sampling rates, under ubalong with ubuntu tried both alsa and pulseaudio plugins along with ubuntu studio pro audio mastering tools.

Overall I am very pleased with its sound signature and smoothness, I can listen for the whole day without fatigue which is amazing because everthing else would hurt my ears after about an hour, this is the first product [other than vinyl] that I can use without ANY listening fatigue.

I dealt with michael goodman at centrance he was a pleasure to deal with and took care of my one day shipping request and everything was perfect when it arrived.

I will be a happy camper if this little annoyance with 24/192 can be addressed [maybe its my laptop] but perhaps somebody else could check their 24/192 playback ?

May 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #326 of 1,412
There's now black anodized mod version! Drool....

Darn, Why isn't it released earlier. NICE!

May 29, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #328 of 1,412

Quote:
Yep, got mine 6 weeks ago and love it with LCD2.  Had I known a black one was coming out, I'd have waited.

Me to, I think I got mine closer to 4 weeks ago and I had actually inquired about black before I ordered. :frowning2:

May 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #329 of 1,412
Well I ordered mine on 8th May and the option wasn't there yet. Would have chosen it too. The option probably started just last week. I guess good things come to those who wait.

May 30, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #330 of 1,412
Dammit! I cant afford to send mine back for that option.. Had id have known i would of waited aswell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back