CDP for Zana
Jan 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hoppergrass

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys, i'm looking for my first "real" CD player. at this point i'm only looking for something playing standard format and won't need a digital out but it seems most may come with these options anyway. budget will be somewhere around $400 - $600. thanks for any help.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 6
In this price range you would do well to look into a fully rebuilt/modded oppo or denon (my personal choice would be oppo, a great base unit). Key things to look for is an awesome fully passive, discrete output stage and an upgraded clock. Don't spend too much on caps except for in critical (coupling) locations, although ideally you will. PITA to wait for a unit to be modded but it will be worth it in the long run, even 2k+ is going to be pretty pathetic from a major manufacturer, whereas with a modded player you will (hopefully) get a whole lot more from your money.

Lets see, specifically for the zana I would start with an oppo 98x, upgrade the clock and for the analog output stage I would go all solid state and look for components and topologies known to be crisp and detailed but with lots of bass slam. Personally I like jfets at the input/first stage! If you can get someone to do transformer-coupled outputs within your price range that would be perfection. That being said, transformers don't come cheap. Sorry no specifics I am unsure what modding companies are offering but keep these notions in mind when you are looking around at different options.

I think that by addressing resolve and kick at the source level the zana deux is lifted to new heights. Important: Don't go for just resolution or just slam/warmth! I think that a balance of these 2 elements are needed because the ZD is chameleon-like and doesn't like too much of one thing. If your source is too bright and lacking in weight it will let you know, if it is to bassy and/or euphonic you will be aware of it.

Good luck, wish there was a simple "Go out: buy this" answer, no such luck!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 6
I would go Cambridge Audio 740c, since you don't need balanced output from 840c, and it's lot of saving, compared each other.

Or get California Audio Delta Transport with seperate external DAC of your choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back