CD Ripping software
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

geek707

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a consensus on software to RIP CDs? Mac preferred.
I'm currently using XLD, or Mac Music. I have about 1000 cds to RIP and don't want to have to re-do this job anytime soon, so quality is highest priority.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 22
XLD is often mentioned. It supports AccurateRip. Don't know how good (or bad) the meta data is.
An alternative might be dBpoweramp. It is often recommended in the Windows world.
From 2015 on, there is a version for the Mac.
It pulls its meta data from GD3, Discogs, SonataDB, Musicbrainz & freedb.
Of course it supports AccurateRip, in fact they invented it.

Most of the time we rip to FLAC. As you are on a Mac, ALAC is probably more convenient.
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/OSX/Ripping.htm

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 22
I've been using dbPoweramp for years now and it's never let me down. I've been using it on Windows but there appears to be an Apple version as well

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 22
I use dBpoweramp on my Mac, love it. Easy to use, and very reliable. I ripped over 3,000 CDs last year and was glad to have it.

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 22
Is there a consensus on software to RIP CDs? Mac preferred.
I'm currently using XLD, or Mac Music. I have about 1000 cds to RIP and don't want to have to re-do this job anytime soon, so quality is highest priority.

I have used EAC (Exact audio Copy) in windows. I am not sure if it will work on Mac. This is one of the best cd ripping software with options to add lots of plugins.

https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 22
+1 for Exact Audio Copy.

Although if you want the absolute best results, try cdparanoia on gentoo. No features or anything (just simple CDDA to WAV). But the difference in Audio quality is quite significant.

You can also achieve this on Daphile directly as it supports native ripping (also using CDparanoia).

Just remember, you'll rip once. No shortcuts.

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 22
If Windows, for more than a decade been using EZ CD Audio Converter. Excellent features, fast and ease of use. It has a trial software.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 22
i use foobar to rip. it has a number of settings and rip speeds and provides an error report, but a lot of people i know who rip a lot use EAC.

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 22
I've used XLD quite a bit over the years. I'm experimenting with dBPoweramp now to decide if it provides a better workflow. dB does appear to provide more information about what's going on which has me moving in that direction. RIP times are very close on my Mac, so speed difference is not a factor.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 22
I use Asunder on FreeBSD and Linux:

"Asunder is a graphical Audio CD ripper and encoder for Linux. You can use it to save tracks from an Audio CD as any of WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC, Opus, WavPack, Musepack, AAC, and Monkey's Audio files.
  • Can save audio tracks as WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Opus, Wavpack, Musepack, AAC, and Monkey's audio files
  • Uses CDDB to name and tag each track
  • Creates M3U playlists
  • Can encode to multiple formats in one session
  • Simultaneous rip and encode
  • Allows for each track to be by a different artist
  • Does not require a specific desktop environment"
http://littlesvr.ca/asunder/

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 22
MacOS is based on FreeBSD and has a command shell, so you could rip using ffmpeg command line. ffmpeg is good stuff, does almost anything, and is scriptable.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 22
+1 for EAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back