CD player and/or DAC
Apr 14, 2006 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

d-cee

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newb around here just starting out on the audio scene, and I'm from Australia, so first off a g'day to everyone =D

I've done a bit of reading in this area, but it seems to be everchanging. i also looked through this section of the website before creating an account and didn't find much. I just now realised how many more threads are visible when you sign up for an account... so i thought i'd ask for everyones opinions on something before i dive into all the old threads. here goes...

I'm after a CD player around US$250 give or take a few dollars to go through my (soon) HeadFive Amp (currently i'm using a MU from www.z-audio.com) and then to my Beyerdynamic DT770Pro / Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones.

I've done some reading on DACs and such, and i am wondering if with my limited budget/cheapy setup i should go with a good CD player and eventually a DAC, or just stick to analog outputs on the CD player.

Also if i do go down the DAC path there seems to be heaps of nice DACs i see mentioned on these forums but sadly they all seem to be out of my price range. Are there any DACs in the same price range as i've set out for the CD player that are worth looking into?

Any help/feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

d-cee

Apr 15, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 4
I don't know if you're a DIYer, but if you are the Toshiba 3960 DVD player sounds great when modded and it would be under your budget.
As far as DACs, there are several around the $250 mark. Just do a search for dacs and you should find what you need. The microdac is $299 from Meier Audio and Headroom has some less than that.

Apr 15, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Put all the CDplayer money into a cdplayer and stick with the analog outs. Further down the line you can then choose to upgrade to a better cdplayer or save some money and buy a DAC. But don't budget for cdplayer and a DAC as you won't end up with the same quality.

Apr 15, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Put all the CDplayer money into a cdplayer and stick with the analog outs. Further down the line you can then choose to upgrade to a better cdplayer or save some money and buy a DAC. But don't budget for cdplayer and a DAC as you won't end up with the same quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back