Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Nov 22, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #1,711 of 1,920
@Andykong Is it typical to experience a delay in volume control when starting the Cayin Music app or HiBy music app. Almost every time I turn on and start to listen I am unable to adjust volume for the first 10 seconds. Additionally, lets say 1 out of every 5 times when I try I get a ’XXXX App is not responding‘. I typically just ignore it and it ends up working fine but I find it a little annoying. I have factory reset (2) times now, same issue. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #1,712 of 1,920
Hello everyone, newcomer here, just got my new N7, was wondering if anyone has any issues with switching between DSD 64 through 512 as I don't hear any difference at all. I also have the Cayin RU7 however I do hear the differences when switching between DSD's. I would appreciate if someone can help me out thank.

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #1,713 of 1,920
I might be wrong, but I believe that’s the upscaling toggle to DSD. How much of a difference would depend on what you are listening to, the mastering/ format of the audio files that could benefit from upscaling/ conversion, but also the rest of the circuitry should be more developed and the effect of the upscaling perhaps could diminish comparatively. I’ve not tried the RU7, but do notice a very subtle difference between the DSD toggles on the N7, it’s perhaps smaller than the difference in Class A and AB.

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #1,714 of 1,920
1683771815847769.jpg

N7 Firmware v1.3 Update
  • Add a new feature to enable users to specify DSD output format (DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, or DSD512) during PCM to DSD conversion.
  • Extend USB DAC (input) to support iOS devices
  • Enhance compatibility with selected third-party applications
  • Modify the selected User Interface
  • Other bugs fixed and system optimization.

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N7 as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center on our official website,

Attention
  • Please make sure the device has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your N7 has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • During a firmware update, the device will turn off and reboot automatically. If the device does not reboot 3 minutes after being turned off, please press and hold the POWER BUTTON for 3 seconds to boot up the device, the device will resume the firmware update process.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N7 to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  3. Press “Check for updates”, and the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detected new firmware. The N7 operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin official website, you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N7_XXXX.zip which is used for N7 firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N7 internal memory or TF card, and insert the TF card into N7 before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.
Hello I just purchased the N7 but it come with
I might be wrong, but I believe that’s the upscaling toggle to DSD. How much of a difference would depend on what you are listening to, the mastering/ format of the audio files that could benefit from upscaling/ conversion, but also the rest of the circuitry should be more developed and the effect of the upscaling perhaps could diminish comparatively. I’ve not tried the RU7, but do notice a very subtle difference between the DSD toggles on the N7, it’s perhaps smaller than the difference in Class A and AB.
Thanks for the reply, I happened to go through all the threads, and noticed firmware 1.3 enables the change in dsd upsampling. My N7 comes with the 1.4 firmware preinstalled and was wondering how I might retro to firmware 1.3 to see if there is a difference.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #1,715 of 1,920
This upscaling is only for your lower resolution files like mp3 and flac, I found DSD512 to add a bit more warmth and space around instruments. Ofcourse playing nativeDSD files through this Bitstream DAC DAP is so intensely vivid a d superior you will wish that all your music Is in nativeDSD 512

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #1,716 of 1,920
Hello everyone, newcomer here, just got my new N7, was wondering if anyone has any issues with switching between DSD 64 through 512 as I don't hear any difference at all. I also have the Cayin RU7 however I do hear the differences when switching between DSD's. I would appreciate if someone can help me out thank.
Hello I just purchased the N7 but it come with

Thanks for the reply, I happened to go through all the threads, and noticed firmware 1.3 enables the change in dsd upsampling. My N7 comes with the 1.4 firmware preinstalled and was wondering how I might retro to firmware 1.3 to see if there is a difference.

We introduced the feature to specify DSD output format during PCM to DSD conversion, the setting only affects PCM source material, if you were playback DSD content, N7 will bypass the conversion algorithm and playback DSD unaltered.

Having said that, I do agree that the All-to-DSD feature of RU7 is relatively more audible than the PSC-to-DSD conversion. However more audible simply means the conversion algorithm introduces more changes during the conversion, it does mean the output of the conversion is of better quality.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 28, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,717 of 1,920
@Andykong Is it typical to experience a delay in volume control when starting the Cayin Music app or HiBy music app. Almost every time I turn on and start to listen I am unable to adjust volume for the first 10 seconds. Additionally, lets say 1 out of every 5 times when I try I get a ’XXXX App is not responding‘. I typically just ignore it and it ends up working fine but I find it a little annoying. I have factory reset (2) times now, same issue. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
I just give it a try. When I power on the N7, I can go into Cayin Music Player, playback music, and adjust the volume smoothly, there isn't any delay in my case.

The following instructions will guide you to perform a factory reset with wiped data on your N7, Let's see if clearing the cache will smoothen your system. Please be reminded that this procedure will wipe the cache and internal storage data (known as double wipe), so please backup the internal storage of your N7 if you have stored your music file in the internal storage before you conduct these procedures. Your firmware should remain at the previously installed version, but please check and make sure you are in the latest firmware before you copy your music files back to the internal storage of your N7

How to enter the Android System Recovery screen on Cayin N7
  1. Turn off the device.
  2. PRESS and HOLD the POWER button and the NEXT button simultaneously.
  3. Release both buttons when the Cayin logo appears on the screen.
  4. When the text “No command” appears on the screen,
  5. PRESS and HOLD the POWER button, then PRESS the NEXT button once.
  6. Release the POWER button when the main menu of the Android System Recovery screen appears.
  7. In the Recovery screen, scroll the VOLUME dial to navigate, and PRESS the POWER button to select the option.
To wipe data/factory reset
  1. Navigate to the “Wipe data/factory reset” and press the POWER button.
  2. In the confirmation screen, select “Factory data reset”.
  3. It takes about 5 seconds on average to proceed with the wipe operation.
  4. When the screen returns to the Recovery menu, navigate to “Reboot system now” and press the POWER button.
  5. The device will reboot and proceed an encryption operation, it takes about 1 minute on average.
  6. The wipe operation is completed after the device is fully rebooted to the language selection screen

1701161718361.png

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,718 of 1,920
Hi Andykong,

Can I ask if it is normal that Hiby Music player version is v2.0.8 on the N7 is saying it is the latest but on my Hiby R6pro2 it is v.2.0.9 ?
I pressed Update Check inside the Hiby Music App on the N7 whilst connected to wifi and it says it is the latest.
I really would want the 'Dynamics plug-in' in the hiby music player app, but it doesn't show it on v2.0.8 on the N7.

Thanks for explaining last time when I asked about the N7 being hot during operation btw.

Ken

Attachments

• 20231201_031752.jpg
    20231201_031752.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #1,719 of 1,920
Hi Andykong,

Can I ask if it is normal that Hiby Music player version is v2.0.8 on the N7 is saying it is the latest but on my Hiby R6pro2 it is v.2.0.9 ?
I pressed Update Check inside the Hiby Music App on the N7 whilst connected to wifi and it says it is the latest.
I really would want the 'Dynamics plug-in' in the hiby music player app, but it doesn't show it on v2.0.8 on the N7.

Thanks for explaining last time when I asked about the N7 being hot during operation btw.

Ken

This is quite normal and has happened frequently in the past. Based on our previous experience, HiBy will allow other compatible DAPs to upgrade their HiBy Music App to the newer version after a couple of weeks.

If you are concerned about the update schedule of the HiBy Music App., you can drop an email or PM to HiBY, they control the App update schedule, and they probably can offer more insight regarding their update schedule. Cayin will provide all the support you needed when HiBy releases their new app. to our DAPs.

Last edited:

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #1,720 of 1,920
@Andykong
My N7 will not show up on my Apple TV as a device to connect via Bluetooth. On the other Hand if I search for the Apple TV on the N7 it will show up, but after trying to get a connection it will fail.
If I connect it to my iPhone it will be connected but I can’t play music through the phone.
Is there a way to fix this, as I would like to watch movies with the DAP.

The S/PDIF connection is just output so it will not be possible to get the sound from the beamer via Toslink cable?

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #1,721 of 1,920
@Andykong
My N7 will not show up on my Apple TV as a device to connect via Bluetooth. On the other Hand if I search for the Apple TV on the N7 it will show up, but after trying to get a connection it will fail.
If I connect it to my iPhone it will be connected but I can’t play music through the phone.

The S/PDIF connection is just output so it will not be possible to get the sound from the beamer via Toslink cable?
I don't think N7 is designed in the way you want to use it.
What you can do to mention some examples
- watch Movies on N7 and listen on N7
- watch movies on N7 and output sound via digital or analogue connection to another amp or DAC
- watch movies on your IPad or PC and connect N7 as USB DAC and output sound through N7

Bluetooth connections on N7 from my understanding are supposed to be used to put out sound to Bluetooth headphones or buds.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #1,722 of 1,920
@Andykong

I also know this problem from the Hiby DAPs, I assume that the Bluetooth is only used to send a sound signal and not to receive it.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #1,723 of 1,920
I also know this problem from the Hiby DAPs, I assume that the Bluetooth is only used to send a sound signal and not to receive it.
Indeed, I remember I experimented with receiver function scenarios on DAPs long ago but later came to the conclusion that for that use case dedicated solutions such as using Apple Airpod Max connected to Apple TV is the most convenient way to go

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,725 of 1,920
@Andykong

N7 Bluetooth is designed to work in half duplex mode, meaning N7 can transmit or receive audio signals via Bluetooth, but not simultaneously. Therefore you should be able to use your Apple TV as the source and set N7 as the wireless DAC to your Apple TV. I have checked the specification of Apple TV, it is VT v5.0 based, but I can't find the codec list supported by the Apple TV, I assume you can connect them in AAC or SBC, lossy up to 48kHz in both cases.

I assume you have reached this Bluetooth setup page. If you want to set N7 as a wireless DAC, you should select "Bluetooth Audio Input" in N7 (the command above + Pair New Device).

1701701613580.png

When you select Bluetooth Audio Input, N7 will enter the Bluetooth DAC interface like below. You can search and select N7 from your source Bluetooth device (Apple TV in your case) and complete your connection.

1701703687015.png

In case you still can't get the N7 to playback your Apple TV content, you can remove the previous connection and start from scratch again:

1. Forget the pairing of N7 in the "Paired devices" section of the mobile phone or device's Bluetooth settings (if the device/phone was previously paired with N7 via Bluetooth);
  2. Forget the pairing of the corresponding device/phone in the "Paired devices" section of N7's Bluetooth settings (if the device/phone was previously paired with N7 via Bluetooth);
  3. Tap on "Bluetooth audio input" in N7's Bluetooth settings;
  4. Search for N7 in the device/phone's Bluetooth settings and pair and connect to it;
  5. Once connected successfully, you can use N7 as the Bluetooth DAC for the device/phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back